Forums Latest Members
  1. Tik-Tok of Oz Feb 19, 2019

Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum:

After having a vintage watch of mine (cal. 354 Omega US collection from approximately 1954) serviced by my local watchmaker, it stopped working while on my wrist. Not a good sign for a 354 bumper Automatic. I took it back to where I had it serviced, it was “adjusted” (not sure what exactly was adjusted) and after a couple of weeks of almost daily wear it stopped again.

So my question is, do I give them a third chance to fix it under the warranty of one year or do I look elsewhere? Also wondering if it’s anything I was doing to cause the watch to just stop?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. redpcar Feb 19, 2019

If you demand perfection and money is no object, find someone else. If your watchmaker is a friend, take it back and let him know your expectations. Maybe you have different definitions of service and should ask exactly what he does in his service. Maybe the work needed is simply out of his range of expertise.

I have 2 watchmaker friends. One is cheap and you get what you pay for. I never use him (we call him super glue). One used to work at the Rolex service center. Very expensive. Very detailed and you get what you pay for.

I know Al tears everything down, inspects, cleans, oils, adjusts and replaces worn parts. This is more than most.

It's an old watch. Stuff happens but if you demand excellence, find a watchmaker that delivers. :)

Edited Feb 19, 2019
    marco, Tik-Tok of Oz and airansun like this.
  3. Canuck Feb 19, 2019

I have to ask if this particular person is well versed in antique and vintage watches. Many who would like to call themselves “watchmakers” have not progressed beyond the quartz movement swap level of skill, but won’t turn down a mechanical watch that comes their way, because they need the practice. Part of this craft is to determine what is wrong, whether parts are required or not, if the task beyond their skill set, and can the repair be guaranteed, if they do it. There is something missing in the instance of your watch. You have a few options. Give them another chance, but let them know if the watch acts up again, you want your money back. Or just walk away from the shop, and get an opinion from another shop. Let us know the outcome.

M'Bob and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  4. Tik-Tok of Oz Feb 19, 2019

Thanks for the fast replies all. I’ll follow up in due course. :thumbsup: