Forums Latest Members
  1. omegaman Jan 4, 2016

alexiwo likes this.
  2. Dr No Jan 4, 2016

Obviously, somebody's expecting a shake-out in the market. And I don't mean the vintage watch market.

;)

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 4, 2016

No. Seller is an Honorable Trader here - he is a hunter/seller not a hoarder.

Well not a massive one...

michael e likes this.
  4. Dr No Jan 4, 2016

I wasn't alluding to the integrity of the seller . . . it seems more like concern over a sinking equities market.

At this moment, if I were sitting on a pile of valuable watches and were actively trading them, I'd be nervous, too. The stock market is more than a little jittery at the moment.

Cordially,

Art

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 4, 2016

No I know, I was addressing the idea the market in watches might be "Toppy" . I was stressing Michael sells as he is a seller, not a hoarder. In other words if some of the big 2998 buyers on this forum (you know who they are), well if they start unloading, then yes, we (will) have a market correction!

The thing is, they are all being bought for cash, not borrowed money.

Although we have low interest rates, its mighty hard to get the loans, unlike the 1980's.

divine wind and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  6. michael e Still learning. Jan 4, 2016

These are mine, I have probably made them look common putting three on at once :)
    I am not nervous at all.
    I collect watches and trade watches as a business, I have always loved watches more than money but when I have a hoard like I have now and no money to buy watches to trade/make profit on to pay the bills, something has to give, I know most people on here will know how it feels to sell something you truly love, but if I don't I will not be able to fund my business and hopefully future rare finds that again will make a profit.
    This happens all the time with me week in week out, year in year out, it is a never ending cycle, that "keeper" I will never sell is fair game in a week or two when the bills roll in, it has been the same since I started business. I love what I do, I would not have found/owned the watches I have without selling them for profit.

Rare, desirable watches from this golden age of watch manufacture will always be desirable and rare, no more will ever be made, for that reason I do not think prices will ever do anything but increase, once desirable watches hit a collection they stay there, unless like me that collection is owned by a trader.
    We all know that rare desirable watches over the last 15 years have proved to be great investments, thinking they were not has made a lot of people kick themselves today, in fact I cannot think of a better investment.
    :thumbsup:

marturx, toddle321, Davidt and 19 others like this.
  7. abrod520 Jan 4, 2016

Actually, it's shockingly easy to get a small (~ US $15k) loan online. Of course, you'll have to have the income to prove you can pay it back, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could get multiple $10-15k loans if they really wanted to go all-out. I'm not volunteering to verify that though, of course...

8. Dr No Jan 4, 2016

Understood. I happen to be nervous about equities now. If I were sitting on three PAFs and in the watch trade, I'd be putting them up myself - cash is always a good commodity to have in a sinking market!

:)

MikiJ likes this.
  9. flame Speedmaster Neil Jan 4, 2016

Hi

Lovely stuff as always Mick....GLWTS :)

Personally , I think if we see a correction in the Money markets we may well see a further move into alternative investments , perhaps vintage omega's.

During the previous market wobble(s) , money was pulled out of shares and put it into safer overseas investments....like the London housing market ::screwloose::

Best - Neil

michael e likes this.
  10. omegaman Jan 4, 2016

Hi. Nice that you as the seller corresponds to this thread.
    But being honest, from a "maximum profit point of view" I still don't get it why you as a pro trader offered all three at once instead of spreading them over a couple of weeks, what I would have done. However, I am sure you know very well how the vintage watch market works. ;)

11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 4, 2016

Maybe one potential buyer will make an "offer Michael can't refuse" for all three ;)

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 4, 2016

Didn't @omar have a love for these?

13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 4, 2016

Unless you have an Scrooge McDuck pool of money, watch collecting is very fluid. We all buy in hopes of making money when the time is right in order to fund another watch and make an upgrade.

The perpetual hunt is what keeps us engaged and looking forward to another day. Glad michael e. is selling for the right reasons, and not like poor Achim with the divorce sale!

Best of luck with selling those beautiful watches.

watchyouwant and michael e like this.
  14. michael e Still learning. Jan 4, 2016

Rare/desirable watch prices have always seemed steady in turbulent times in my experience.
    With the cash I get back from these watches I will be buying more watches so the cycle will begin again, so I will never hoard cash, and I do not think I will find anything rare or desirable that cheap either nowadays, but always love the hunt and owning the watches for a while and of course hope to turn a profit when I do sell them to keep the business going. The crunch comes for me when I have to part ways with these things, it hurts and always has done.
    I don't understand any other markets besides watch the market to be honest.

fizz and watchyouwant like this.
  15. michael e Still learning. Jan 4, 2016

Number 3 has sold.
    I still have three left for now, two on eBay and one which is needing the hands reluming and is waiting for the archive to arrive.

16. omegaman Jan 6, 2016

@ michel e:

When ordering the 'Extract of the archives', did you mention the P.A.F. engraving and potential military origin to Omega or did just report the serial number and caseback reference?
    The reason I am asking is, that Omega haven't mentioned any military provenance in the 'Extract of the archives' for several years (actually since the 2007 Antiquorum Omegamania fake mil. SM300 desaster). Obviously they changed that policy again.

17. michael e Still learning. Jan 8, 2016

I am just going to leave these pictures here if anyone comes back to this in the future. These complete the full P.A.F hoard.
    4X 2914
    1X 135.004
    2X 135.007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Jan 9, 2016
    milwatch126, Etp095, Syrte and 14 others like this.
  18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 8, 2016

Yeah, so what, no serious collector would ever be interested, unless of course, they set clockwise ;)

chronos, LouS, 1685 and 6 others like this.
  19. ock2915 Jan 8, 2016

Railmaster heaven

20. michael e Still learning. Jan 8, 2016

I can add an extra cog free of charge if you like ;):thumbsup:

LouS likes this.