Forums Latest Members
  1. yammilktea Apr 11, 2013

Hi, I'm new here and so far have had a lot of fun simply clicking around looking at and reading about everybody's omega watches. I've recently been thinking about getting myself a vintage Omega Seamaster De Ville and chanced upon this seller on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300889216902#ht_2811wt_1399Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Just wanted opinions on whether this watch is even authentic in the first place, how much I should expect to pay for a watch in this kinda quality, and whether it makes sense to purchase this watch and then replace the crystal (given that I think it's pretty scratched up).

Thanks!

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 11, 2013

a quick response:
    - it looks legit, but impossible to be 100% certian without seeing the insides.
    - a good chunk of the value is the condition of the movement/insides. without these, any purchase is a bit of a risk
    - you would need to factor in the cost of servicing, maybe $200?
    - price/value I will leave to others, but probably $300-$400?

3. yammilktea Apr 12, 2013

thanks for your quick reply and that was really helpful. but you mentioned that i should be looking at paying around $300-$400 - that would be due to the condition? what about for a piece in relatively good condition, for .e.g this one below (the seller recently contacted me as well):

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-vintage-omega-seamaster-de-ville-814707.html

also, would servicing be a must with every vintage omega?

sorry for posing so many questions - really wanna get the perfect piece! thanks again!

4. Mothra Apr 12, 2013

If you are uk based, the ebay one may well wind up being worth a punt - poor photography, little detail (most of which is there is wrong - i doubt that watch left the dealer with the wrong size strap on). Sure, it probably needs a service, but regardless of what a listing says, that's the assumption you have to take anyway. No import duty/expensive international freight. If you aren't from the uk, it would have to be really cheap for me to want to gamble....

5. yammilktea Apr 12, 2013

yeah that's what i'm thinking too. unfortunately i'm not from the UK which is why i'm not sure its a risk worth taking. don't think i'll go for it then - thanks a lot for all your help!

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 12, 2013

servicing should be factored into the price of every vintage watch (omega or not) unless you are sure the seller has had it properly serviced. lots of sellers say it has been 'serviced' when in fact it has only been regulated, or given a 'once over' to ensure that nothing is broken. watches, like any mechanical instrument, need servicing and oiling. If the oil is gone, you risk serious damage to the movement.

7. ulackfocus Apr 12, 2013

The Watchuseek SMDV is in good shape. Worth making an offer on even though the price is fair to start.

The eBay watch needs quite a bit of polishing in comparison, and probably a new crystal.

Yes, get a watch serviced when you buy it. Without proper lubrication you'll ruin the internals, and there's probably old dried up oils and dirt inside the watch that need to be cleaned out.