Forums Latest Members

Thoughts/Opinions - Alaska Project still sitting in boutique

1. kerrr.splat Sep 20, 2016

Hi all,

Apologies if I'm posting incorrectly here (blame it on my noob status). I really enjoy reading the forums and I'm amazed at the knowledge and passion shown here by many, thus I turn to you all for your sage advice.

Much to my surprise my local OB still has an Alaska Project up for grabs. For a watch that came out in 2008 to still be available in a boutique I thought was impossible. My dilemma is this. I've already recently purchased this same model but some voice in me keeps nagging about the chance to get a completely new watch with full warranty. My question is, is it worth it? (I know it's subjective but opinions are appreciated). The one I purchased is in great/excellent shape, and a recent service as well. The new one obviously would come with full 2 year warranty and peace of mind on history of the watch. I would need to find a buyer for my first Alaska project but I don't think that would be too difficult.

My other question is if the recommended service interval on watches is every 4-5 years or so, would there be any concerns purchasing a watch and just wearing it out of the boutique after it has been lying dormant for 8 years?

Thank you. Appreciate your thoughts/opinions/experience.

2. Bushido Sep 20, 2016

Did your recent Alaska purchase come with the extras and was it serviced by an appropriately trained watch expert? If so, in your position, I would give the new one a pass. Your current watch should be running like it was new. Therefore, you would be going through some hassle just to end up virtually where you already are at present.

Instead, save the time and effort for hunting down your next new piece!

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  3. kerrr.splat Sep 21, 2016

Full set. Purchased from a reputable seller so no concerns on the watch itself. I'm sure it's running like new.

I must admit I do like your reasoning on where I should direct my time and effort! :thumbsup:

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2016

Assume you sell yours for what you paid. Is the price delta worth it?

5. nurseford25 Sep 21, 2016

Which omega boutique is this? ;):p

6. Maganator Sep 21, 2016

when will the one in the OB have been produced? If it was 2008 should it have already been serviced by the OB?

I've no idea what winding regime OBs have or if a service would even be required.

7. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Sep 21, 2016

I've purchased an old stock watch from a retailer. As it had sat dormant there was a requirement to have it serviced, but this was at a cost to the store. So they opted to sell at a discount (Got them to -37%) either before this time elapsed or after without a warranty.
    Sorry can't remember which one.

Anyway the point is I believe it should either have been serviced or available at a discount if not.

nurseford25 likes this.
  8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2016

Omega Boutique Regent Street had 3 of theses at one point...

All sold now £3250 each i might add.

9. YWK Sep 21, 2016

If you already have the full set including all accessories and stuff, don't bother. Unless you want to try and flip it for a small profit...that's always an option.

10. kerrr.splat Sep 21, 2016

Thanks all. Appreciate your input. Minimal price difference for me. I don't believe it has been serviced. I asked and was told no it has 2 yr warranty so bring it back if anything is wrong with it. No discount as it's a LE (and being sold by OB). Guessing this was one of the earliest produced (if I assume they do so in sequence) as it was numbered in the 90's.

11. Perseus Sep 21, 2016

If you don't buy it would you please PM me the AD information? I'd love one.

12. larryganz The cable guy Sep 22, 2016

Same here.

13. YWK Sep 23, 2016

Ditto. I'd love to flip it for quick profit ;)

14. larryganz The cable guy Sep 23, 2016

I would want to own it. I passed on a second CK-2998 today because I'm not a flipper for profit kinda guy.

LawBrk likes this.
  15. soybeanwatch Sep 23, 2016

Flip yes, switch maybe not =/

16. Perseus Sep 23, 2016

More of a subtle brag kind of guy? ;)

Kidding!

17. larryganz The cable guy Sep 23, 2016

Hey, the Alaska is all yours. I'm going to push the pause button for a little while.

18. speedbird Sep 24, 2016

I like the Alaska, but they didn't seem to sell well. I remember my AD pushing it hard every time I came in.

19. Perseus Sep 24, 2016

I'm finally selling some watches so hopefully I'll have some fun money soon.

20. Kofosu Sep 24, 2016

Keep your current AP. I just purchased one yesterday that was available new from a Canadian AD (at a 35% discount). It's a fascinating watch, but since you have one already, get something different.