Thoughts & Opinions: 232.90.42.21.03.001 Planet Ocean

I've owned a lot of Seamasters, but no Planet Ocean models so far. Can't seem to find the 'one' for a Speedmaster, but an acquaintance mentioned he just got this ref. 232.90.42.21.03.001 titanium in - can anyone offer thoughts? Not just on the few pics below, but anyone have one of these and an opinion to share or feature to point out, good or bad? I doubt any illegitimacy of the piece itself, but just don't have much experience with these, especially the titanium examples.

Thanks as always!

BZUNyRd.jpg

iqIIER4.jpg

8HrWrZe.jpg

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving to all here stateside!

I don’t have any direct experience with these other than trying that titanium model on in a store once and been shocked at how light it is. I think the only Planet Ocean I could possibly wear would be in Titanium. Even though it is still as thick as the standard PO, it is much more comfortable — but I also do not like an overly heavy watch on my wrist.

For me all POs with exception of the first generation are simply too thick. You really got to like to have such a huge chunk of metal on your wrist. Other than that, I think the PO dials are stunning ::love::
Edited:

I just got my PO last week, for sure it’s a large watch but it wears better than I though it would. It’s a beautiful piece, and my first Omega coming from wearing Rolex Subs and ExplorerII. The dial is just gorgeous. Try one on, here is mine.

16mm thick. It will be a big boy in my opinion.

Had a Tudor Pelagos at 14mm and it was to large in my book.

This Planet Ocean good looking watch, depends on your heft tolerance

Well got a chance to try a very similar one on and it had the chunky but purposeful feel the older 40mm SD's had (IMO, of course), and now have pulled the trigger on my acquaintance's...sooooo now for the hyperventilating I still get after years of buying and selling these things when I make a purchase over 2k! :D

Recently got my Planet Ocean 43.5mm titanium. Really liking it and so much more comfortable than the 2500 that I have. It wears smaller and feels much better than my Pelagos and SD43.CCE3DFAF-7842-4670-97A8-98020EEA3E41.jpeg

I'm glad I went for it - got a good deal from a dealer* acquaintance who'd taken it in trade and it wears perfect for size and weight IMHO (on my 7.5"-ish wrist)

Some smudges on the crystal from my own fingers, but a pic from the last of our daylight here earlier:
IMG_0370.jpg
Edited:

I'm glad I went for it - got a good deal from a deal acquaintance who'd taken it in trade and it wears perfect for size and weight IMHO (on my 7.5"-ish wrist)

Some smudges on the crystal from my own fingers, but a pic from the last of our daylight here earlier:
IMG_0370.jpg
Looks beautiful can’t find fault I like chunky watches as long as the lug to lug is within normality I think you hit it out of the park. Wear in good health and enjoy

Looks beautiful can’t find fault I like chunky watches as long as the lug to lug is within normality I think you hit it out of the park. Wear in good health and enjoy

Thanks bud; it's become a new go-to pretty quickly! :)

I'm glad I went for it - got a good deal from a dealer* acquaintance who'd taken it in trade and it wears perfect for size and weight IMHO (on my 7.5"-ish wrist)

IMG_0370.jpg

Congrats on the piece. I have the exact same one, purchased new 6 years ago from an AD in Sydney Australia and love the way it sits on my wrist. Looks great, and light (compared to stainless steel) due to the Titanium case. I find the Blue dial on titanium stands out nicely too.

Just over a week ago, I unfortunately went swimming in a pool, and later discovered water inside the case, so I'd like to share my learnings and experience.. so you don't have to go through the same pain.

I think the water came in through the Helium valve, which i found was not as tightly screwed in at the time. To this date, the watch hasn't had any service on it either.

Took it a watch dealer guy I know, and he said to take it straight to Omega, forget the independent repair centers for this issue. The Omega boutique service costs AUD $830 (includes service and consumable parts) this might be a bargain as most independents I've spoken to charge between AUD$600-$700 for full service + extra $ for parts. IF the dial is water damaged, that would cost another AUD $1100 to replace (yep.. this particular dial). All up, it could cost me nearly AUD $2000.

In another conversation about other expensive items for this watch, they said if I ever had to replace the watch housing (not sure if it includes bracelet or not) that's another AUD$3500 due to the Titanium material used.

So things I've learnt...
* have the seals checked regularly, if not.. then keep the watch away from water or any condition that is humid. Even though it's a dive watch.
* make 200% sure crown any screws are screwed down tightly before entering water.... better still don't take it in the water if you can.
* if there's water inside the case, take it to watch repair or boutique straight away so it can be opened up and dried out and worked on.. as in ASAP... I waited a week hoping the sun would do the job...which it didn't.
* When it comes to servicing, if watch internals significantly old and worn, its probably more economical to take it to Omega to service. Their full service prices includes labour and new parts (normal wear and tear stuff mechanical bits)
* take care of the titanium case/housing .. otherwise replacement would be $$$..but don't think things can get that bad to have this done.

For me, it might be an expensive mistake. If I am lucky, it'll just cost me the full service at AUD $830, if not then its ~AUD$2000. Will let you know how things go after they've full assessed the watch over the next day or so.

So Omega has assessed my watch and said the dial is stained/damaged and needs replacing. AUD$1930 all up.

So Omega has assessed my watch and said the dial is stained/damaged and needs replacing. AUD$1930 all up.

So sorry to hear that man - I remember double-checking the HE valve crown was something I had to get used to when I first got into SMPs, but it's ingrained habit now. I hope everything works out for you in the end! :/

IIRC it's been stated here and many other forums that the He valves as well as the screw-in crowns can in fact be worn underwater with little risk as long as the seals are in good shape. The He valve is a one-way outwards "exhaust" valve, so unless you had bad seals water should not have ingressed there.

Archer may chime in here to set things straight!

For me all POs with exception of the first generation are simply too thick. You really got to like to have such a huge chunk of metal on your wrist. Other than that, I think the PO dials are stunning ::love::

And then if you want a real shock/surprise/moment of confrontation you open the back of your PO and the movement sits there in the middle surrounded by a sea of space: I realise that a photo at this point would be useful.

And then if you want a real shock/surprise/moment of confrontation you open the back of your PO and the movement sits there in the middle surrounded by a sea of space: I realise that a photo at this point would be useful.
Something like this 8806 in Railmaster;

As has been said, the He valve is only supposed to let helium out, not water in. H2O is much larger molecule than He. Suspect crown or seals are the culprit(s).

I was worried about the PO size at first and it only took me a couple of times wearing for it to be a favorite that stole wrist time from Kermit and Speedy.