Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Vintage Zenith?

1. Moeris Jun 4, 2015

Hi, everyone. I'm posting this message for hayday, who recently registered. He mentioned that he's unable to post in this section. Any help is appreciated.

---

This 1967 Sporto Calibre 40 Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network is from County Cork, Ireland, and claims to be all original. The dial looks sharp and crisp, but it could easily be a re-dial. The hands look original. I don't mind a new crystal, but I'm not too keen on re-dials. The case looks to have been polished, which is not in and of itself a bad thing. Mostly, I want untouched on the inside (dial, hands, indices, movement) while I'm more flexible regarding the outside (crystal, polished case) with the exception of the crown; I prefer an original crown. I think this could be a winner, but I need your alls help.

The dial really looks like a repaint or refurbish but can't quite tell. There is wear around the seconds hand which looks like the dial has been very well scrubbed or repainted (but not very well). The seller has a lot of other vintage watches for sale which all seem to be in very good shape. I would expect a dirty dial or two if they are indeed all original. Even the Russian watches, which tend to be beaten to death, look really nice. Don't know if this means anything or not. Like I said, I really need help from those who know what to look for and have the experience I lack.

I like how this looks, but I'm not an expert. Any comments, concerns?

-hayday

(more photos inside the link above)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 5, 2015

The dial looks original to me.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 5, 2015

It is actually a Cal 40T. The T indicates a movable stud and the movement is rhodium plated, neither of which featured on the Cal 40.

4. hayday Jun 5, 2015

But the question remains: assuming this is a Sporto Zenith you wanted, would you buy this specific one? Do the sellers claims of originality check out or should I keep looking?

I like the look, it appears legit and original, and goes with the Calibre 2531 I already have. I just don't want to waste money on a watch that isn't authentic and original.

So, would it get your money?

5. rennfahrer Jun 5, 2015

Oh man, I would love to have a vintage piece documented back to Cork (my home county).