Forums Latest Members
  1. Artifice Aug 23, 2016

Hello All!

I am still looking to get my first vintage watch and I would like to ask for your expert opinion on two watches that I am vetting on.

Do these watches look like they had redials or do you think they are still original? To my untrained eye, both look like the dials are original and haven't been touched.

These are from 2 different sellers and they don't seem to know the exact year made. Both seem like they are from the early 60s? Although I am not entirely sure.

This one has the date feature which I am not currently too keen on but he is giving it away for around $180 and I think that's a bargain. I also like the patina on this. However, he doesn't have pictures of the movement because he doesn't know how to open with it being a top open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This other one looks like an early 60s Seamaster model with a 600 cal movement and the seller says it has been serviced sometime last year. But this one is being sold for around $550.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to wear it on a steel bracelet. Preferably the 1168 style one. Would it fit?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fjf Aug 24, 2016

Both dials appear genuine. The first one has more patina, but it is also a lot cheaper. Can be a good entry wearer, if you like it. The movement is likely manual (no automatic on dial).

Artifice likes this.
  3. ewand Aug 24, 2016

According to http://chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html, the 2nd watch is from 1960.

On the first watch, as @fjf points out, it'll be manual winding, - I thought they were launched in 1960 and the De Ville was always a self winding watch but looking at the old brochure on http://www.old-omegas.com/pics/sea62en/p45.jpg, it does say the calendar and self-winding features were optional. They did do a "Seamaster Calendar" watch which had different markings on the dial (http://www.old-omegas.com/pics/catuk66/p31.jpg).

Artifice likes this.
  4. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

Thank you for your response gentlemen. I think I might go with the first one. Do you know if this already has the quick set mode for the date or do I have to wind it for 24 hours to set the date each day?

5. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

The 2nd one does not appeal to me honestly and it's a little too expensive in my opinion. Movement might be serviced but take it with a grain of salt unless he offers documents on this matter. Looks a bit unclean. Just a bit.

I like the first one but there's quite a bit of patina on the dial. It's in a bit of a rough shape. The patina on the dial and some dirt around the crystal might indicate that it hasn't been stored accordingly throughout time which can mean that the movement might be dirty as well so keep that in mind.

The dial might look a bit better if it was to be professionally cleaned but the marks can't be removed. Crystal also needs replacing as it's cracked. Should also factor in a service cost as it's been a while most probably.

I would say that if you're not sure about them just have patience and something better will definitely come up.

Artifice and ewand like this.
  6. novina Aug 24, 2016

Like them both. Good entry level watch for the Deville. Even with a service, about $200- $350usd with crystal change, you are not in it too deep. But as mentioned, the DeVille does has a rather heavy patina, but if you like it, it would not be an issue. The second does seem a bit much, but if you search Ebay, I don't think you could buy it for much less these days. Seems anything Omega has doubled in price in the past year. Would be hard pressed to pick one up for $180, that's for sure.

7. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

Thank you for your insight very good Sir. I also like the first one better than the second one. And yes, I think I just have to be patient. But I was thinking for around $180 I could try out a manual wind watch and see how it works for me. But on the other hand, I might just be patient and wait for the right one to come along. Hmm..decisions, decisions..

8. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

Think of it this way. You buy it as is but you'll have to restore it a bit and service it. As novina said that's going to cost you a further 150-200-300$ depending on where you live and who will do it for you.

Give it some time and for 300-400$ you just might find a watch in a better condition that might not require any further costs.

Artifice likes this.
  9. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

I agree. I'll just have to keep looking. Thank you for the good advice.

However, I saw another one on the bay though. Would you mind taking a look at it for me? Im not entirely sure if it has a redial done. Seller says it is still orginal but the '30' looks weird to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

Yes, I was thinking the DeVille might be a good entry watch and for $180 I think its a really good pice. But considering I'd have to service it and change the glass. It might be better to wait for a better one. But thank you Sir!

11. fjf Aug 24, 2016

If you look at the poor quality of the dial text, you'll reach the conclusion that it is a bad redial.

Artifice likes this.
  12. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

I didn't notice that. Im still new at trying to spot redials. What got me was the '30' was funky looking. Thank you for pointing it out!

13. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

Yeah run away from this one as well. Have patience, do your research, start reading around about various models and give it a few weeks (at least). Don't rush it. You'll find something good. :)

Artifice likes this.
  14. novina Aug 24, 2016

Regarding having to service a watch. Well this is the scoop. It is well known here that if you do not have a receipt from a reliable watchmaker with the watch to show proof of service, than it did not happen. Not serving a vintage Omega is just taking your money and throwing it out. Would you prefer to be assured that your watch is in good shape and running properly or hope that everything is ok but doing so may be causing damage to the movement.

I'm sure you have seen or heard someone say "clean and oil ". Well that oil over time becomes sticky of hard and causes undue wear to the insides of a watch. Assume every watch you buy will need a service. Prices can vary with location and watchmaker. May be as low as $150 or so but depending on what if found may be much more. That should not put you off, but you should budget for it. I bought my first Omega for $325. Put in $150 for simple service when I had the money, didn't wear the watch prior though, and still have to put in a some more to fix a couple of not so important issues, crystal replacement,winding stem and crown. As none of these actually affects the working parts of the watch, a basic service was ok. Hope this helps. And I would be all over that first watch for $180, assuming I had the money. Other things take precedence in my life now.

Artifice likes this.
  15. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

Very solid advice. Thank you very much, Sir! I will keep that in mind.

I, too want to get the first one for $180 but the date setup just isn't really for me. That's the only thing that's keeping me from jumping on it.

Regarding on repairs though, would it matter if the parts replaced are not original? like the stem, crown, or some gears?

16. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

I think I already found the particular models that I like. Something from the early 60s.:) Thank you very much for your help, Sir!

The hunt continues!

17. novina Aug 24, 2016

Depends if you plan to collect or just wear and forget. The collector always wants original replacement parts. The more original the watch, the better it holds its value. If you just plan to wear it with no regard to it's collectibility, than does it matter? except to you?

Once you have the watch you want and it has been vetted here, all you need to do is ask for a good watchmaker in your area who understands vintage watches. So do you wish to hold for future value? Or just the enjoyment of the watch? Need to ask yourself that now so you have a path to follow.

Edited Aug 24, 2016
    Artifice likes this.
  18. Artifice Aug 25, 2016

Hmm..I do plan to collect and even if I just plan on wearing it, I would like to keep it at the most original state that it could be. Else my OCD might kick in.

Another problem would be that I don't think I know a good watchmaker in my area. I live in a small town so there's only one watch shop in the area that people go to. I asked him before if they fix vintages and he said they do. Not sure if I'd take his word for it though. We'll just have to see.

Oh well. Thank you though for helping me to answer my own questions. lol!

19. dx009 Aug 25, 2016

You can buy a few broken or cheap mechanical watches off the internet, get yourself a couple of simple and affordable tools and then just start playing around with them. There are plenty of pictures and videos online for you to check on all sorts of operations done to watches.

Many people just fix their own watches at home. Changing crystals, bracelets, regulating them, etc. It takes a bit of practice and research but it might pay off for you.

Artifice likes this.
  20. Artifice Aug 25, 2016

That's what I have been always planning to do, get my own tools and fix my own watches. But alas, procrastination is my greatest enemy. That and not a lot of disposable income. lol. But surely, one of these days I will pick up my own set of tools and do the fixing of myself.