Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this watch please?

1. Dre Sep 17, 2014

Hi guys,

I'm in my early 20s and I'm thinking to start collecting vintage watches. I found this Zenith 156 below, which I believe to be solid 18k gold. I really like the look of the chronograph and the patination on the dial as well. I'm really interested on the watch and the asking price from the seller is $4k, it sounds quite a lot for me since I haven't bought any vintage watch before. So I was just wondering on your thoughts of this watch in terms of the condition of the watch as well as the asking price?

Looking forward for your reply, really appreciate your help.

Thanks heaps

Andre Zenith_Chronograph_156D_Dial_1024x1024.jpg Zenith_Chronograph_156D_Crown_1024x1024.jpg

2. Interstatetime Sep 17, 2014

Looks nice. These early snap back cased 156s don't seem to have a huge following. They are pretty big for watches of the time so they still look nice today. I think 4 grand is a lot of money for a watch with the scratch it seems to have on the lugs and the crown in this state of wear....but if you like it go for it...it's only money.

JohnCote

Dre, ELV web and JohnSteed like this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 17, 2014

Andre, welcome. These large 156s are great watches, and this one looks like an ok example, but 4K is too much. On eBay, one of these would go for about half that to perhaps a bit more. While not common, they do come up. I would advise patience.

Dre and JohnSteed like this.
  4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 17, 2014

Yeah, this would go for about 2k on the 'bay.

Nice piece, but overpriced.

Dre and JohnSteed like this.
  5. Dre Sep 18, 2014

Hi guys,

Cheers for the reply, definitely will go on a hunt from ebay from now on for this watch then! What do you guys think of the authenticity of this watch though?

Thanks

Andre

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 18, 2014

The crown may be substituted but otherwise perfectly authentic.

Dre likes this.
  7. ezinternet Sep 19, 2014

Hi Andre - As you continue to look for one of these a few details that preserve the originality and are often substituted are:
    - correct original crown - otherwise difficult to find
    - correct chronograph sweep - I really like the balance of their teardrop end
    - paired and correct sub-dial hands - matching on both sides and appropriate length to reach to the end of the circumferential indices

-ez

Dre likes this.
  8. Dre Sep 19, 2014

Hi Ez,

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful actually. I can now starting to identify a few little things like that, I saw a watch with a bad replacement hand, one of the hand is way too long and I could identify that right away. Fingers crossed I can find my first vintage watch soon :)

Appreciate your help Ez!

Best

Andre

9. Fred400 Sep 20, 2014

I think the watch is too expensive. I have a similar clock with caliber 156 to the price bought by 1,600. The housing is 18 K pink gold and very much condition. Only the dial is original but n A 115.JPG ot much good.

Dre likes this.
  10. Dre Oct 19, 2014

What do you guys think of this watch? I really like the font and this looks almost identical with UG compax. Seller asking price is around $4k.

Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 3.07.39 am.png Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 3.08.04 am.png
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

UG made these for Zenith so it is essentially a UG compax. I'd say it's had a bit a polish (check out the loss of facets on the lugs), but is basically OK. In its favor, it is a 38mm case.The price is much too expensive for a private deal, but only a somewhat high from a dealer.

Dre likes this.
  12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 19, 2014

I'd be rather concerned with the tarnish and spotting on the brass parts of the movement.

13. Dre Oct 20, 2014

Do you reckon a watchmaker can clean and service the movement properly on this watch? Because I'm planning to use it on a daily basis.

14. Interstatetime Oct 20, 2014

I do think a watchmaker can clean and service this watch. As Stewart says the tarnish and spotting is a little bit troubling and to me it is troubling because of what you can't see which is under the dial. When these snap back watches get wet the dampness lingers under the dial longer than anywhere else. That being said, if all of the functions work it is probably OK. Finding parts if a lever or a spring is simply too weak will be an issue but if the price is right it is a cool looking watch. As an everyday wearer though I might take it off my wrist on a humid sweaty day in the infield at Silverstone. This watch is never going to be waterproof or even very water resistant.

JohnCote

15. Dre Oct 22, 2014

Thanks so much for the information John, much appreciate it!

And I was just wondering if anyone know a good watchmaker in Sydney, Australia?

16. ezinternet Oct 25, 2014

Hi Andre,

Hi Andre - Here is a link to an older (2009) discussion about Sydney watchmakers:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/sydney-watchmaker-219727.html

(I have been on the Nick Hacko's mailing list from for years and he strikes me as a very competent watchmaker. For a movement service he would certainly be someone to try - make an appointment and get some of his time.)

If you want the dial cleaned, close to AUS, then you might send it to Michael Young in Hong Kong - see http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/page3.html and send him an email/picture and ask his opinion.

Observing your search and questions, I've been in a similar place of really wanting, and I've come to realize:

(1) In a budget for these old chronographs allow for $700-$1000 of repair and service. I've learned that a "documented serviced" watch from a reputable seller has real value.

(2) The dial markings that appear obvious on a large blow-up may not matter as much on the wrist. Better to wear a watch for a while - months maybe - before deciding to improve the dial. The originality of the dial, the patina, might be valuable to the next owner.

-ez

Dre likes this.