Forums Latest Members
  1. omegajus Apr 25, 2019

Hey everyone.

I really appreciate the expertise on this forum and was hoping for some advice. I recently gained a huge interest in vintage watches when my father gifted me my first real watch as a graduation gift. The first purchase I want to make quickly became a Seamaster, and I finally found a model I really like for a pretty good price.

Any feedback on the condition and price point would be great!

Also, any insight into the added acrylic dome?

omega 1.jpg omega 2.jpg omega 3.jpg omega 4.jpg omega 5.jpg
  2. omegajus Apr 25, 2019

Whoops - it is posted for $500!

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 25, 2019

chronoboy64, omegajus and Tony C. like this.
  4. omegajus Apr 25, 2019

5. Observer I know nothing! Apr 25, 2019

First thing this rookie noticed is that hour markers seem misaligned with minute markers.

efauser likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal Apr 25, 2019

Welcome @omegajus. If you read a bit you will see all the points covered on redialed watches. Some of us bought a few before we knew better (like me), and some redials are very well done sometimes, so if you aren't interested in a collector quality watch that will be an investment, and just want a knock around cool vintage watch, a good redial could be the ticket.

In a nutshell, black dials on vintage Seamasters (other than the divers) are very rare, so when you see them always raise an eyebrow.
    If the price is too good to be true, it usually is.
    Remember that watches of this period are smaller (33-35mm), so if you are used to wearing a Planet Ocean, these watches will feel like a little girl's watch.
    The Seamaster's from 1949-1972 went through several variations and styles so look at a lot of images and figure out which ones you like. Sometimes you won't know until you get one (or several) on the wrist. Visually I always liked the DeVille style Seamasters, and bought 2 of them. Then when I got a 1958 beefy lugged SM (like you have pictured above), I realized that I love that case style more.

Have fun with the new exploration and there are no stupid questions in collecting. We are all learning as we go, some have more experience than others, but there is always more to learn