Forums Latest Members
  1. hutcho Dec 8, 2015

Hi guys,

I have recently taken the plunge and bought this UG Tri Compax. I have been told that the watch is all orginal except for obviously the strap, and stainless steel pin-buckle. I think also that the plexi glass has been replaced.

However, I don't pretend to be enough of a UG expert to know whether or not it is all correct for the reference, so I would really appreciated any help from any UG experts out there. I paid about the equivalent of $3,400 US for the watch. To me the dial looks really good and all original, and I have been told that it is consigned from a very good local collector.

If any experts out there do think there are other things incorrect, could you please also tell me how much you think it impacts on the quality / value of the watch. I appreciate this is my first post but I hope to hang around and learn/contribute!

I have been told the reference is 22242/1107421 , movement calibre 481 , dates circa 1960. Attached are photos (no photos of movement).

UG4.jpg UG3.jpg UG2.jpg UG1.jpg

Thanks very much, any help would be very much appreciated!

2. Jonatan Dec 8, 2015

I am wondering about the crown. It is an original UG crown but I'm not sure it goes with that watch. Would it be possible to get the serial number and model number?

I am not an expert so its better to wait for otherS!

Edited Dec 8, 2015
    hutcho likes this.
  3. hutcho Dec 8, 2015

http://vintagewatchco.com.au/ProductDetail?ProductID=1134 These are all the details I have, and my communication with them that "all original except for the strap, and stainless steel pin-buckle". I did ask to confirm that they are all original to the watch and not just UG and they came back saying they will triple check with owner and then came back to tell me that that is all, although I must admit I am a little bit nervous that what I was told is not entirely correct (accidental of course).

Edited Dec 8, 2015
  4. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 8, 2015

Serial number 1107421 dates this watch to 1945. Period incorrect dial type, m/h hands, and crown - all genuine UG parts from the 50's - and 3 out of 4 subdial hands (date, sub-second, and hour register) are of incorrect length, but honest to god, it is still a nice watch. This would technically be called a franken watch, but I'd say that it's a thousand times better than all of the examples with terribly refinished dials out there. These days you would have to pay a little less than two times what you paid for this watch for an all-original 40's Tri-Compax.

Phranz and aap like this.
  5. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 8, 2015

Interesting and busy dial.

The side view shows a really high dome on the crystal, I wonder if this was how it was originally and if it really needs such a high dome to clear the hands.

Can't offer much else, not familiar with this model.

6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 8, 2015

Original crystal:
    20151111_141805.jpg

Phranz, khmt2 and hutcho like this.
  7. PatrickJ Dec 8, 2015

How much should one pay for this watch had it all been original?

8. nicolas07 Dec 8, 2015

It depends if you buy it through Philips auction or not :) ^^
    Around 5-6kUSD should be honest...

PatrickJ likes this.
  9. Dre Dec 8, 2015

I've seen this watch in metal and passed on it right away. All original UG parts as @jordn said but the watch is put together.

I personally wouldn't buy anything from the folks in that shop, either their Brisbane or Sydney shops.

10. PatrickJ Dec 8, 2015

The guy could argue these points and get a refund. Any dealer deals with so many different types that they have not got the time to know about them all. Better to do months of research on one model that you can realistically get with patience. Trust no one. I have seen dealers sell watches that are Franken, a dealer in the UK 100 years in the business etc etc etc etc sold me a franken. Thank the good lord above I put pics on the forum and it was spotted, I got a refund.

nicolas07 and jordn like this.
  11. hutcho Dec 8, 2015

Thanks very much for your replies guys. I feel stupid for jumping on this so quickly and posting this after buying, but I guess all I can do now is to raise these points and see what they say, and then decide whether or not to request a refund.

PatrickJ likes this.
  12. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 8, 2015

+1

Best of luck

hutcho and PatrickJ like this.
  13. P.Wood Dec 8, 2015

Hutcho dont feel bad , I know exactly how you feel I have been trough that , and after all the above can I have your opinions on this one .
    Thanks

image.png
    hutcho likes this.
  14. ELV web Dec 8, 2015

Redial, better avoid

PatrickJ and P.Wood like this.
  15. P.Wood Dec 8, 2015

Thank you for your advice .

16. hutcho Dec 9, 2015

Just an quick update:

The dealer is going to raise my concerns with the owner of the consigned watch, but they didn't offer their own opinion as to whether or not I was correct in the following:

1. Serial number 1107421 dates watch to 1945
    2. Period incorrect dial type, minute and hour hands, and crown. All genuine UG parts, but not correct/original to the watch
    3. Sub-dial hands incorrect length

My gut feel is that I am going to request a refund as I really thought this watch was perfect all original (other than strap and pin buckle) and I have that in writing. However, if the owner of the watch comes back and says I am in fact wrong about my concerns, does anyone have any resources I can use to prove I am correct. I have the table of serial numbers which dates it to 1945, however is there a resource I can use to prove that the dial, hands, crown are period incorrect?

Again, I really appreciate the invaluable feedback you have offered to someone who just joined the forum.

Cheers
    Jack

PatrickJ likes this.
  17. 10H10 Dec 9, 2015

By the way, the moon disk is from a later Tri-Compax aswell...
    So, actually, you just have to switch the back cover with a more recent serial to get everything right !

18. PatrickJ Dec 9, 2015

Good luck with that. Dont worry it has happened to the best of us.

19. hutcho Dec 16, 2015

Just a quick update: they are giving me a full refund, and to be fair they were good about it, but it definitely shows the value of forums like these and the people who contribute their expertise, so thanks again.

Phranz likes this.