Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this Tudor? (nice textured dial)

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 31, 2016

Greetings to all, wondering what the group thinks of this Tudor...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/222121735578?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]
    I find the dial very pretty, and the 1950s style very pleasing (especially with the lume)...

However I have a sneaky suspicion those lugs have been rebrushed, and I asked the seller to post more pics.

Just curious, how difficult is it to find 1950s Tudors with textured dials like this one?
    Do automatic models with those kinds of dials exist?

Thanks for your thoughts and best regards,
    S

2. Jonatan May 31, 2016

Looks a little shy! ;)

3. Jonatan May 31, 2016

Dial looks good and it's hard to say for the brushing of the lugs.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 31, 2016

I would want to see a natural pic of the dial rather than what appears to be a stock photo. fwiw, I have seen these textured dials on Tudors, but I don't know the brand very well.

Syrte likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 31, 2016

Tis a bit odd that we have side and back pics but a stock dial view.

Syrte likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 31, 2016

That's because they only had the dial view-- they just added more pics because I asked them to post more. Can't believe a seller with good ratings on Ebay would not do so spontaneously though-- that is odd indeed.

7. Jonatan May 31, 2016

Yes sorry, I replied too fast without looking at the link. For some reason, the picture wasn't there the first time I looked, and the link was missing the second time. Third time is a charm. The eBay photos do look a little fishy.

With the stock photo I would have said go ahead since that picture looks fine to my eyes.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 31, 2016

Syrte I sense that you like textured dials.

Syrte likes this.
  9. meganfox17 May 31, 2016

Rolex Tudor Oyster ! That's You ! [​IMG]
    Rolex Tudor ?[​IMG]
    Why is the Rose logo so miserable?
    [​IMG]
    Love it !
    [​IMG]
    No @Syrte
    [​IMG]
    Yes @Syrte
    [​IMG]
    I endorse it !
    [​IMG]
    You've been taken for a Ride !
    [​IMG]
    Is that a Seiko ?
    [​IMG]

Edited May 31, 2016
  10. WatchVaultNYC May 31, 2016

could be a 7934
    [​IMG]

Syrte likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 31, 2016

@meganfox17, you're a gal after my own heart!! How did you guess those were my favorite characters ??!:D

So here's the deal, I like watches to make me think of adventurous types, like so:

[​IMG]

Or like so.... (Longines of course):
    [​IMG]

Now that Tudor reminds me of this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yes, it's all a tale (and I would certainly never do this ^), but I like a good story, the 1950s patina and that nicely aged lume...
    Good sources say Hillary wore a Smiths to the top, as he says himself, and that Rolex didn't make it all the way up.
    (picture reposted from WUS, but there's a big threads on MWR)
    [​IMG]
    No matter, a regular Oyster just won't cut it....

@Larry S, you nailed it, I really dig those textured dials -- so many dials to like!!

Larry S, Garv and meganfox17 like this.
  12. CdnWatchDoc Jun 4, 2016

Not too hard to find; this is a 7909 dating from the mid-50s:
    [​IMG]

Darlinboy, Alpha and Syrte like this.
  13. omitohud Jun 5, 2016

Here is mine in black. The crown is screw down which is not common.
    [​IMG]

I blame it on the autoconnect.

Syrte likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 5, 2016

Really nice, thank you. What do you think of the pricing in the OP?

Very nice too @omitohud, thanks for sharing it.

15. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 5, 2016

Pretty face but I don't think I'd do it. I'd say the case was beat up so somebody has polished the hell out of it and then reworked the top and back to sharpen some edges back up. The end of the lugs look like they were restored with a quick shove against a grinding wheel. Rolex crown on a Tudor? Not the cleanest movement I've ever seen.... likely a worn out watch that somebody has coaxed into running again and cleaned up because Tudor watches are worth a bit more these days. An polished turd.

Syrte likes this.
  16. CdnWatchDoc Jun 5, 2016

I tend to agree with Fritz, this is a pig with make-up. If you could get this for less than half the price, it would be a good parts watch. These with manual movements should be cheaper. (maybe 300 to 350 GBP?). The Rolex crowns were standard for this era; all of my Tudors from the '40-'60s have them. And if it is an oyster case, then the crown must screw down to ensure the "waterproof" guarantee.

Giff2577 and Syrte like this.
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 5, 2016

Agree on the lug job, it did look that to me. I wasn't going to buy as I'm trying to be very careful these days, but I must say I really liked the dial and hands. And I really like the shape of those 1950s cases in general. Some day perhaps?

18. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 5, 2016

If the price was right that would be a really nice watch to own, just based on that face! Held in the hand it might be quite irresistible, but I think with a little patience and hunting you can do much better for that amount of money.

As a decidedly antiRolex/Tudor type I usually avoid the make like the plague, just because of the "look at me" factor they seem to represent to those who don't appreciate a watch for its workmanship and quality. But I was smitten by an old Tudor last fall, found in the box of dead junk at a friend's shop, I got him to restore the movement and leave the rest alone. He let me have it quite cheaply and it has become one of my favorite pieces.

Keep looking.... it'll turn up!

P1000955.JPG

Syrte likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2016

You beat me to it - was puzzled by the questioning of the Rolex crown on a Tudor - every vintage Tudor I've ever serviced (and replaced a crown on) had a Rolex signed crown. Only more recent Tudors use Tudor signed crowns.

Syrte likes this.