Forums Latest Members
  1. trackpad Apr 25, 2016

Any comments or feedback on this 145.022-69 Speedmaster offered by a local dealer would be welcome.

Already had some indication from another OF member that the hands are probably wrong. I've seen the watch in person, and only made note that the crystal isn't original or even OEM. Pretty sure the service history will be unknown.

I think we can agree the price is...ambitious. But the location and clientele of this particular shop does not lend itself to competitive pricing, so a 30% baseline premium added to everything is par for the course. I'm more interested in thoughts/observations on correctness or completeness, based on what you can see anyway.

Many thanks.

2. Davidt Apr 25, 2016

The hands are unlikely to be original, as this style was phased out in 67/68, and although this is a -69 model, I'd guess it was made in late '69 or '70 from the bezel.

The interesting thing about this watch is that it appears to have a slightly brown dial, which increases th value significantly, so it shouldn't be compared to a normal -69. The problem is that these dials really need to be seen in the flesh to determine how much value they add.

trackpad likes this.
  3. trackpad Apr 25, 2016

Thanks. Interesting. Could it be the hands are worth more than period correct hands?

I've seen it in person. If I wanted tropical, it would be a tropical like this...understated, very even and just enough of a dark chocolate to click nicely with a brown leather strap. Looks very good in person, ...better than it does in photographs. Would say the same for the dial lume.

4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 25, 2016

At that price you would be looking at a nice cal 321 watch. That "tropical" is not quite a brown I would consider that use of wording. A lot of these dials have a very small browning effect due to age but tropical would really show a true brown whether light brown or a darker brown but still easily visibly brown.

Baz9614 and trackpad like this.
  5. trackpad Apr 25, 2016

No knock against the shop – they are actually deeply engaged, passionate collectors with good taste – but normal forces of the market need not apply within their walls, granted. Located in the lobby of Dubai's main financial center, ...most of the people who buy here would actually be losing money if they invested the time and energy some of us do in hunting/research. They want to buy collectible quality and will pay a premium for someone else to do have done the research and leg-work (incidentally, parts of the process many of us find most fun).

You really need to see it in person, but it's true – without a non-tropical reference beside it, it's difficult to see indoors.

6. TomGW Apr 25, 2016

The case has been polished, hands and crystal are incorrect and no bracelet - a 1175 would have been correct. It really would need to be seen in the flesh to assess the 'tropical' dial, which would appear to be the basis of the (very) high asking price. My person preference is a stepped or transitional dial that has begun to go brown/brassy on the edge of the sub-dials and the step. This shows the age in a subtle, controlled way that I appreciate. It's very hard to tell what this dial is like, just from the photos available.

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 25, 2016

This dial would be considered "tropical"

image.jpeg
    dubois, Temiyasen, J-Luc and 9 others like this.
  8. watchlovr Apr 25, 2016

As an owner of one I don't think it would be too expensive (for retail), it was correct and actually brown, you need to:
    1. See it in person to assess the colour.
    2. Find out the ref number and movement number.

Both of the above matter, I don't see however how it can be correct as it stands.

9. watchlovr Apr 25, 2016

2 X Chocolate 1969 145.022's photographed at the weekend

IMG_2345.JPG

JohnSteed, J-Luc, gostang9 and 9 others like this.
  10. drainaps Apr 25, 2016

Beautiful watch!

From a vintage Rolex collector who has seen his fair share of creativity in propping up the price of watches, is baking dials to turn them tropical something that happens in the Omega world?

There's base for suspicion in the Rolex world, with the number of tropical dials sometimes reaching epidemic proportions.

Again, 200% friendly question, I'm an admirer of Speedmasters but cannot tell chalk from cheese.

Thanks all.

11. trackpad Apr 25, 2016

Not an expert on, well, anything watch related – but I can tell you this is oft discussed in Speedy circles, and as the premium on tropical dials continues to climb, increasingly discussed.

12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 25, 2016

Speedy dials dont really turn out like rolex where the dial is stepped and has a lot more contours where baking would easily damage instead of evenly "browning" plus the application of lume is much harder to do than rolex plots. I wouldnt say it is impossible but you sure see way more failures than I would say any success.

13. trackpad Apr 25, 2016

Baking is such an uncertain process,..so you never know. I baked this Tudor Sub last night and think it turned out great!

Screenshot 2016-04-25 16.37.12.png

;-)

heypacha likes this.
  14. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 25, 2016

If you sold that type of bubbling on a speedmaster you would not get a general overall positive response.

oddboy likes this.
  15. spaniard Apr 25, 2016

Is this a troll? Cause you can clearly see the bubbles on that paint. If that adds value then why doesn't everyone go out and bake their own dials?

16. michaelmc Apr 25, 2016

So much is subjective on these chocolate dials and the appeal is singular to one paying the premium. Buy what you like if of value to you imo.

trackpad likes this.
  17. heypacha Apr 25, 2016

The 7016 and 7021 submariners had problems with dial rot. Almost all of the early snowflakes have this problem. I find the dial rot very appealing, even bought a roulette submariner because of it.

Edited May 1, 2016
  18. trackpad Apr 25, 2016

Only (I thought obviously) kidding. Though apparently, there is even a market for dials with bubbling paint. Beauty remains right where it belongs, in the eye of the beholder.

19. igatomic Apr 25, 2016

That bubbling dial is making my back squirm...

Back to the OP, sounds like quite a premium for a creatively worded sale. No band is another thing to consider as that seems to add about 1k to the final bill...

20. abrod520 Apr 25, 2016

If that watch had a nice condition DON bezel (which it probably should if the serial number falls within the usual range for tropicals), it could potentially sell for the asking price. As-is, I'd say he could possibly get 3/4 of that - but not from me....