Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaTom Feb 23, 2015

Hi,

I am new on the forum and also still quite new to the 'Speedmaster scene'.
    I am considering on buying the following 1965 105.003 Speedmaster. I have seen it and inspected it, to me it looks good. However, I am no expert. I know all the basic differences and the most important things to look for but would like your opions on this piece first. The ref nr. is 5341XXXX.

Many thanks in advance!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 23, 2015

It looks good in the pics, obviously it is all relative to the price. Do you have a movement pic, serial number and inside case back pic?

3. OmegaTom Feb 23, 2015

Thanks for the quick response.
    The price is €5500. The serial number is 5341XXXX.
    I don't have an inside case back pic, I could ask for one. They give a year of guarantee and state that the movement is in perfect shape.

4. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 23, 2015

The serial is way too high for a 321 movement which is the correct movement for the watch. The price is high especially if the movement number is correct, which I doubt. Definitely request movement pics and clarification of the serial number.

I suspect that the serial is 2341xxxx.

Edited Feb 23, 2015
  5. OmegaTom Feb 23, 2015

Indeed, I suspect that the number will have to be 2341XXXX but I have asked the question to clarify. Also I have asked them to send a picture of the movement. Assuming the watch has a correct serial number and the movement is in good shape, is the price too high for this piece giving the condition it is in?

6. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 23, 2015

The prices are definitely on the increase at the moment and there have been a number selling for similar values however for the money I would like to see a DON90 bezel and some more hi res pics. You should also factor in the cost of a service.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 23, 2015

Very hard to give you an accurate judgement without caveats:

Subject to movement being correct

Subject to inner Caseback being correct.

Subject to a good look at the case without photoshop's help

Now on to the watch. It looks like a 105.003, cleaned up by a dealer for sale.

The bezel is a modern telemetre bezel, attractive to my eye, but for me reduces the value by $600. Bear in mind the Telemetre bezel is a big turn off from a collectors view - most will buy this and hunt for a good bezel - good luck with that.

The dial plots are dirty, not attractive. This dial is a turn off for me - I have a watch in my collection with them and they do not grow on me.

Hands look aged but attractive.

The price, Euros 5500 is about $6220.

On http://www.speedmaster101.com/price-chart/ i would take the "Good" price of 7900 and reduce for the following:

Bezel: 600
    Dial:1000
    Service 600

Leaving an estimate of $5700 - not a million miles from the asking.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 23, 2015

9. gophishin Feb 23, 2015

And if VVW will be able to fetch more than they were first asking ($7700 usd)

10. OmegaTom Feb 23, 2015

Thank you for the usefull comments. I also compared to the price chart on that same website and figuring that thought pricing would be correct. I did however not know/notice the things Spacefruit mentioned.
    As one of my first collector watches, would it perhaps be better to go for a cal. 861 Speedmaster? The price is quite a bit lower and judging from what I read they are also less expensive to maintain + easier to find certain parts.
    I saw the following ones:
    http://www.chrono24.nl/dealer/horlo...yId=EUR&priceTo=0&sortorder=1&resultview=null

http://www.chrono24.nl/dealer/horlo...yId=EUR&priceTo=0&sortorder=1&resultview=null

11. Fost Feb 23, 2015

I think you should take your time, make some research, focus on one ref you really like and take advice from forum members here.

Moving from an ed white to a 145022 is a huge move...those two references are very very different....

12. the future Feb 23, 2015

As I've said before, if you don't "need" a 321, and you like an 861 (maybe a transitional?) just as well, I would go for the 861 in a heartbeat. That's what I did, and I really like the fact that parts are still available from Omega for my 861.

TLIGuy likes this.