Forums Latest Members
  1. GlennB Aug 24, 2016

Hi, Please can I have your thoughts on this Seamaster, I know the Dial has been repainted. I am looking for a Seamaster as my first Omega watch.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg s-l1602.jpg s-l1603.jpg s-l1604.jpg s-l1605.jpg s-l1606.jpg s-l1607.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

Since you seem to know what you are buying, we don't need to discuss the authenticity (or lack thereof) of the watch.

Now it all comes down to the price. Given the general condition and the rubbing that I can see on the rotor, if you are paying more than $200 for this watch, you are paying too much.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

GlennB likes this.
  3. GlennB Aug 24, 2016

I need to start shopping at cheaper places, starting to think its not possible to find a good one in my price range (less than $500) ... or maybe just the UK is very expensive these days.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

The UK has always been expensive for pretty much everything. 20%+ VAT doesn't help.
    gatorcpa

GlennB likes this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Aug 24, 2016

I think redialed and refinished vintage Omegas, if bought at the right price, are no-brainer alternatives to fashion watches.

6. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

I dont want to hi-jack this thread but can you enlighten me on how to spot rotor rubbing? I tried searching google but it only returns brake rotor disc rubbing for some reason. Or my google-fu isn't still good enough. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

[​IMG]

Look at the plating on the rotor between 6 and 7 o'clock. It's not sharp and you can see rub marks. Compare it to the ends of the rotor at about 4 and 10 o'clock. That's nice and sharp.

This means that the bushing for the rotor is loose or damaged and the weight is moving up and down on the rotor shaft. At some point in the rotation, the rotor is rubbing against the case back. This causes the flat spot. It also means that the automatic winding feature may not be working efficiently or at all.

Sometimes you can see the corresponding rub marks on the inside of the case back. On this watch, it looks like the inside may have been polished to remove them.

This is usually a correctible condition, but it will add some cost to a normal service which you need to take into account when purchasing the watch. How much additional is anyone's guess.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Uniqez, alam, GlennB and 3 others like this.
  8. Ritzwatch Aug 24, 2016

gatorcpa, I didn't ask this question, but thanks for your answer and educating us on this. I sure enjoy researching and reading up on the vintage watches, but I just don't have the trained eye to spot trouble spots on online photos. So, I appreciate the sincere educational replys to good-faith questions. Thanks again,

GlennB and Artifice like this.
  9. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

It took me a while to spot because I was looking at the edges.

Please correct me if I am wrong but is this what you mean? The dark spots between 6 and 7 o clock?

[​IMG]

Thank you very much!

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 24, 2016

Great attitude and gentlemanly response, Thanks!

The eye will come with time and meanwhile, Masters such as gatorcpa are happy to help when they can!

Collectible, correct Omega's start at several hundred, so the first step is to look at a bunch of watches, decide on your intentions, your likes and your budget, do some research and then cordially ask for help.

You will do well here, my friend! You and Artifice are asking all the right questions, before buying! Just be prepared to get hooked.

GlennB, Ritzwatch and Artifice like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2016

The rub marks are still there, although hard to see due to lighting maybe. It's always a good approach to study the inside of the caseback just as closely as the movement, it can tell you a bit about the watch.

OCBR.jpg

kingsrider, GlennB, UncleBuck and 2 others like this.
  12. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

Thank you very much for pointing that out! I wouldn't have seen it if you didn't.

GlennB likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

Yes. That's exactly what I mean.
    gatorcpa

14. redpcar Aug 24, 2016

Remember that the movement is 50+ years old. That rotor has rubbed the case in some point of its life. If you also notice that the plates are different colors. So maybe the issue has been resolved?. Maybe. There is no question that the movement is not all original to the piece and it is a redial. Depends on the price and what you want. If you are looking for a nice collector piece, move on. If you like the watch.........timepiece.........and the price is right, it works for a daily "beater" in my book. Make sure you discuss the condition of the movement in detail with the seller. If you can see it in person and get a second opinion, even better.

All in all, this is not a diamond in the rough.............it is a rough diamond.

plate.jpg

15. Artifice Aug 24, 2016

Hmm..I never would have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out. I thought the difference in colors is normal.

Thank you gatorcpa and redpcar for educating a newbie like me. I still have a long way to go to get the 'eye' needed to spot these things. But really, thank you for taking the time to explain further. I am still new to this forum but the response from I get from people here are very gentlemanly and positive. I think I like it here![emoji1303]

GlennB likes this.
  16. chows99 Aug 24, 2016

I learnt something from the masters here! Thanks for sharing! N I wouldn't mind a re-painted omega if it comes at $200 or less!

GlennB likes this.
  17. GlennB Aug 25, 2016

Thanks Everyone for all the responses, I'm new to this and learning loads from all the posts on this site. Thanks for all the advise and pointers.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 25, 2016

You might find this thread useful:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/spotting-problems-with-watch-movements.36339/#post-413172

It goes through some common movement problems that can be spotted in sales photos, including the rubbing of the rotor.

Regarding the issue if that wear is old or not, and if the problem has already been fixed, that's a tougher question to answer. In some cases it's obvious by other indicators that the watch has not been serviced recently, and if it hasn't it's nearly 100% that the rotor issue has not been fixed. Although that issue is not difficult or expensive to repair on it/s own (just replacing and reaming a bushing to fit), in my experience of servicing hundreds of these movements, it is usually a sign that more expensive parts in the automatic winding will also be worn. While the bushing for the rotor is something like $10, the winding wheel (reversing wheel) for this watch is over $100, and I would say in 75% of the watches where the bushing is worn, the winding wheel is also worn.

I can't even recall the last time where I saw evidence of a worn rotor, where it has been rubbing, and the rotor had been fixed. I'm sure it happens, but it is the exception rather than the rule. As always, unless there is evidence that the watch has been recently serviced by a known good service provider, I would assume that the watch needs service and factor that into what you are willing to pay for it. If it turns out the watch doesn't need servicing, consider it a bonus.

Cheers, Al

19. Artifice Aug 25, 2016

Thank you good Sir! I will be reading up on that link. Some very good and detailed information right there.