Thoughts on this Seamaster ladymatic

Hello,

I’m looking for a vintage Omega watch as a gift for my wife. I’ve done a bit of research to get a sense of what to look for, avoid, etc. but with all the different variations I find it hard to know if everything checks out…

I’ve found this Ladymatic on eBay that looks good to me, with the Omega metal bracelet adding a bit of extra confidence (it seems that someone building a frankenwatch or doing a redial wouldn’t bother fitting an Omega metal bracelet right?), with the added benefit that it was already professionally serviced according to the seller so that’s one less expense. Is it legit in your opinion based on the (crummy I know, sorry) photos? Calibre 681, asking price $360.

5957BBE3-BF60-4C29-AB22-5F27D97CDA13.png 009CBFD9-A0AF-467B-88CC-11EA8B69C6B3.png 0801F3A4-6630-4C24-8B8F-3313385FE3BE.png 08AC8F70-8E43-4D71-9364-1FB31F729C40.png 17FFF124-3F2E-4D56-8997-E8FC249BF4BE.png

Thank you very much!

That is not in nice condition and over priced. Fact is. Quite a number of current Ebay ones are over priced. Always compare models to completed auctions to see if price is reasonable.

My cousin and nieces prefer quartz fashion watches they buy at flea markets to match their outfits. My nieces didn't want my mothers vintage manual wind watches

That watch has to be 50+ years old. Long past the stale date for an automatic winder in my opinion. She may end up having to manually wind it to keep it going because of (possibly) advanced wear of the automatic wind components. Ladies tend to not be the technology freaks that men are. I’d pass on that one.

That is about $300 more than they usually sell for although without the bracelet. I prefer leather anyway.

I passed over several in the last few weeks, probably as I have so many. So tempting when one see them selling for between 60 and 120. I remember when seamasters sold for that much.

Ladies watches just to not have the cachet, the gents watches do. At least the 671 movement is easier to work on than the cocktail watches.

Hello — I am hardly an expert, but as someone who has spent a fair amount of time shopping for women’s Omegas: it is not in fact so easy to find decent examples (especially already serviced) for under $350. This particular one doesn’t look amazing, but if it’s in good working condition (a big if, I know), the OP could do worse…

Curious about the comment above that automatic winders 50+ years old are no longer worthwhile—? Is that true for all watches, or just women’s models? I have a 1971 Connie that I am fond of. I do wind it 20-30 turns every morning, it’s true, but don’t mind at all—and hope its 682 movement isn’t too degraded!

An additional thought for the OP: does it have to be a sporty watch for your wife? I think some of the super dainty “ladies” watches from the 50s and 60s are kind of retro and cool. I just bought an 18k gold one with diamonds on the dial for $320, and have it out for servicing now (another $300). Check out some of the photos of Nicole Kidman rocking her little Omegas at awards ceremonies, etc. Anyway, good luck!
https://www.omegawatches.com/stories/nicole-kidman-dazzles-at-cannes-2017
Edited: