Forums Latest Members
  1. micked Dec 12, 2015

Hi all you experts on the forum,

Yes, the title is correctly spelled. Up for sale is a Polarouter (with an a), which means it shold be one of the first Polerouters..
    The dial looks OK to a noob like me, but...
    - Should it be marked "SWISS T" instead of "SWISS", since there is lume on the dial?
    - Should I be suspicious about minutes hand covering the logo?

Otherwise the hands look consistent with the state of the dial, lugs look OK to me.
    The crown looks OK.
    Obviously this is a 138SS bumper movement, since it is from about 1954. Any thoughts on the ability to service the movement?

The seller is asking about 750 USD, which I think is a bit steep. Does this Polarouter (with an a) justify the price, i.e. would it be so desirable by collectors?

Any signs of a frankenwatch that I have overlooked are greatly appreciated.
    219754981_1f9e0577-b8d2-458d-bc09-a2c74db257a8.jpg 219754981_918f3b76-53f3-4c9c-bd41-c28b95e59145.jpg 219754981_b6b1472d-fc9d-4958-a153-f2dc67f73f2b.jpg 219754981_c7613c24-4b97-4812-b6bb-bd2f7dff90c0.jpg

aap likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 12, 2015

I see nothing wrong with the watch. The "T" didn't come into general use until 1963 or so. That lume is radium, not tritium.

Crown, dial, case and movement all look good to me. If the crystal is signed, consider it a bonus.

The movements are very well made. Service shouldn't be a problem.

Price isn't bad considering the relative rarity of Polarouters. I would like to see the price a little lower, but who wouldn't.

Good luck with purchase.
    gatorcpa

3. Selbo Dec 12, 2015

I would ask for another picture so you can see the full script. Obviously, you'll want to be sure before buying. I consider this a transitional Polarouter. The first Polarouters have a screw back case like this:
    image.jpg
    I've seen Polarouters like the one you're pursuing with a 17 serial number while most with a 17 are Polerouters. I just picked up a Polerouter with a 1710 serial number while you're showing a 1712 Polarouter. Again, it must be right around when the name change took place. I believe yours is fine as a Polarouter. There are many other examples right around the early 17s where the name is either or.

The case looks great and $750 is on the about right to good side. The font and crosshair is crucial for making a definitive call on these Pola/Polerouters though. Can the seller send you another photo with the hands out of the way?

4. P.Wood Dec 12, 2015

Hello ,
    Im sorry for my ignorance , but what do you mean by "crystal signed"
    Thanks

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 12, 2015

Little makers signing in the middle of the crystal like this Omega one
    image.jpeg

P.Wood likes this.
  6. Adam2941 Dec 12, 2015

That looks like an excellent Polarouter to me. The hands have corrosion that is even and consistent, and the hand set and dial both have luminous material, which is a sign that both are original to each other. And the color of the luminous is approximately consistent between hands and dial--another good sign. The fact that some of the luminous dots have fallen off the dial is another indication that it is all original and not retouched. The case--ah the case ;-) --looks very nice and unpolished. It is for some reason hard to find these 12-sided cases in unpolished condition. They also tend to get chewed up because it is not a good design and they are hard to open without damaging them. Use a rubber ball. As for the "Swiss" on the dial, no, at this early date it should not have a "T." The crown is signed and looks to be original. I agree with Selbo that it appears to be a transitional Polarouter, but there's nothing wrong with that. The price is on the high side, but still reasonable, and these Polas are only going up in value.
    I see no problems with this watch at all and I would buy it. It looks like it needs a service. But if you do buy it, please, PLEASE, instruct your watchmaker to do no cosmetic work at all on the exterior: no polishing, no touching up or cleaning the dial or hands, nothing. If he finds this to be a strange request, then find a different watchmaker who appreciates vintage watches (some watchmakers polish the cases out of habit, even if you ask them not to). If you put the case in the ultrasonic cleaner with the movement parts, the case will get very clean and shiny without polishing it. Polishing the case would kill the value of the watch. If you like polished cases, buy a new watch, or a previously polished vintage watch. This watch is too rare in this condition to polish it. Great find! Good luck!
    (By the way, these early Pola/Polerouters take 19 mm straps, and currently this watch has a 16 mm strap, so you will need to find a nice correctly-sized strap.)

7. Adam2941 Dec 12, 2015

P.S.
    I just noticed that one of the bumper springs is dislodged. If it is broken you will need to replace it. This could indicate that the movement has other damage as well. You might want to buy a spare parts movement of the same caliber--currently not too hard to find.

8. aap Dec 12, 2015

Did Polarouters have signed crystals? I think the Polerouters didn't. I know mine doesn't have the UG logo.

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 13, 2015

Yes, at least some of them did. Perhaps not all of them - but certainly some of them.

aap likes this.
  10. aap Dec 13, 2015

Would you have pics David? Would be interested to see :)

11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 13, 2015

I will try to find some. I should have a pic or two, from some of my previous Polerouters.

aap likes this.
  12. aap Dec 13, 2015

Thanks! Looking forward to them

13. Jonatan Dec 13, 2015

My polerouter had a signed crystal. I had to replace it but I kept the crystal. I'll try to get a picture. Only have my iPhone so not sure it will work.

14. aap Dec 13, 2015

Sure! Looking forward to it. Thanks.

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 13, 2015

Signature, sorry for the poor iPhone 5/ olloclip pics. Hopefully @Jonatan can come up with something better.

IMG_3078.jpg IMG_3658.jpg IMG_3660.jpg IMG_3662.JPG

STANDY, philgund, ELV web and 2 others like this.
  16. aap Dec 13, 2015

Don't worry! It's crystal clear. Thanks for sharing!

17. Jonatan Dec 13, 2015

I came to work to get some pictures with a binocular and it didn't work out as I had planned. Putting my phone on only one lens gives crappy pictures. We managed to get amazing pictures of a Quetzals when we were Monteverde NP with my our phones lined up to our guides Swarovski scopes and I figured I could do the same. Wrong! (Quetzal picture added for comparaison).

IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0303.JPG IMG_4934_2.jpg
    Rman and aap like this.
  18. aap Dec 13, 2015

I like the first three pics though. Very abstract.

19. micked Dec 13, 2015

This forum is amazing, thanks all for your help and feedback!

What makes me hesitate right now is the radium part. Never thought of that, thanks gatorcpa.
    Do I want to subject my favourite watchmaker to that, for the inevitable service?
    Hmm, have to think about it some more...

20. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 13, 2015

Yeah, I don't have any pictures good enough to showcase the crystal - but it seems you've been rewarded by others! :thumbsup:

aap likes this.