Forums Latest Members
  1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Oct 23, 2017

I’ve been searching for an original non service bezel for my Ploprof with type 3 original dial. I understand there are 5 types of bezels available (3 originals and 2 service types). I’ve found this one and believe it to be a series 2 original non service. What are your thoughts?

C7DE1EA3-4A75-45B2-A8BC-970F000D6976.jpeg
  2. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Oct 23, 2017

Current set up:

5266E89B-6CE7-42EF-A0C0-1A4786EEF705.jpeg
  3. TsoloT Oct 23, 2017

On the current set up
    Looks like a type 1 earliest bezel
    You need to give it the uv or bright light test
    There’s no serif on the 1 you have a thin triangles the pentangle markers
    Flat 3 flat 4

greenecollector likes this.
  4. TsoloT Oct 23, 2017

On the new bezel its serif 1

Round 3 and pointed 4

With triangle markers looks like a 2 or 4 but light it up and see

If it’s a simple illumination it’s a B2 none service.... if it all lights up it’s a B 4 service if none caramel it’s a b5 modern

But the light test is the best

Just triangles it’s aB2 all light up B4 no triangles B5

5. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Oct 23, 2017

Thanks for your response. The difference between B1 and B2 are obvious based on the fonts of "1", "3", and "4". Is there any way to differentiate a B2 non service vs the others (B3, B4, B5) based on fonts alone? I'd like to see a photo comparison of the various types of bezels if anyone can provide them.

TsoloT likes this.
  6. TsoloT Oct 24, 2017

Well the B2 ..B3 comparison is easy because the print on the 3 is much fatter and B2 is serifed
    B2 ....B4 is hard on fonts but easy under black light ..but the colour is the give away as is the same with the B5

The luminova ha s the bright light colour all over the bezel there is absolutely no colour shading, differences ,etc etc

With the B2 you have cream or caramel on the numbers and and on the triangle markers and no caramel else where it’s very noticeable and looks just like your reference model

I’m sure you know but there are now loupes now made with a black light incorporated as well as the white light these work really well and you don’t have to go through the whole performance of viewing them in the dark

By the way if you find a B1 or B2 which you want to sell I would be more than delighted to buy it as I’m looking for an Older bezel for myself

One final tip don’t look at the fonts at all ! .... look at the grip edges of the bezel
    when it is an original as opposed to a service replacement the grip edges have a rough finish and there is no polished faces at all

as it was designed to be gripped by a wet hand when diving

all the modern service replacement bezels have highly polished grips which are raised and they have sharp edges

Best of luck and keep me in mind if you find some early bezels

JanV and Rasputin like this.
  7. Mr Blond Oct 24, 2017

That’s a lot of information about bezels, is there a website or post with them all listed?

Any idea which one I have?

7B554587-54DF-400E-A0A8-51BEF63B80A7.jpeg 9FD4EA28-B6CA-4492-B190-4EAFDF129964.jpeg
  8. TsoloT Oct 24, 2017

Well you have a very nice type 1 case and the hands alook original although the dial looks very good it could also be original and the black light shows no glow so it probably is
    The bezel is a good caramel colour with a none serif 1 so it’s Tritium and the black light test shows the bezel as a totally original type 1 or type 3
    given that the dial is later type 3
    I would go with a type 3 bezel but it’s a little too fine on the print so I stand to be corrected but in all probability you have a late iteration watch with an earlier type 1 bezel

Sorry I can’t be more precise but I really need to see the watch up close rather than in the photo the movement number is your best clue but the nice thing about is the watch appears to be totally original and as you can see from the grips on the bezel they are not polished and so are not indicating a service bezel

Mr Blond likes this.
  9. TsoloT Oct 24, 2017

10. Mr Blond Oct 24, 2017

Many thanks for your help and advise

11. TsoloT Oct 24, 2017

This is a watch of the same age as yours on a 1162/162/1 bracelet
    It has an early service bezel correct Original dial perfect case and not polished with original rare set of hands as you can see by the width of the loom on the hour hand

It needs a B2 bezel to get back to authentic

Mr Blond likes this.
  12. TsoloT Oct 24, 2017

You are very welcome