Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this Longines calaWATCHa

1. Rman Aug 9, 2016

Been a while folks.
    My latent buying impulses are resurfacing and I'm contemplating this piece.
    Is the dial too legit to quit?
    Kindly requesting insights.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 3.50.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 3.51.21 PM.png

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 9, 2016

With the caveat that these are not an area of depth for me, I am going with legit original finish on the dial. Not sure enough on the era to comment on the font itself.

If it is a redial, it is a damn fine job around those rivet-head hour markers.

3. Rman Aug 9, 2016

Yes I too believe the dial is original. I have looked through my references and can't find a three hander like this with Breguet hands, they usually came on chronos and a few in tiny size to fit tank-styled pieces.

Can we say "tank" in reference to Longines? @ulackfocus :whistling:

4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 9, 2016

The "Buy It Now" price is ridiculous. A spotless dial with a worn movement is a bad sign. An ominous white dial foot suggests the worst. EWC have sold redialed Longines in the past. The crown is certainly a replacement and the hands look odd, even if they are original.

However, the signature/details compare very well with similar examples. And the seemingly white dial foot may be just lighting and oxidation. I vote original but as this exact dial is relatively common, I would not pursue it.

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 9, 2016

I, too, am skeptical of the hands, and believe that the crown is a replacement. The dial is a tough call, but seems a bit too clean relative to the case and movement. At even half the asking price, I'd demand full originality.

Easy pass (not to be confused with an EZ-Pass).

Jonatan likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 9, 2016

Not one that is that knowledgeable on this vintage but the different 2s make me think redial

7. ulackfocus Aug 9, 2016

Yep, count me in the skeptical contingent. Of the hands, the crown, and the dial.

What a coincidence that I got my new EZ pass device today in the mail.

8. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 9, 2016

Rman and Modest_Proposal like this.
  9. Rman Aug 11, 2016

Thank you all for the input.