Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this Longines Calatrava

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 9, 2016

[​IMG] Greetings everyone,

A few weeks ago I was offered the following Longines calatrava which I really liked but a collector friend advised me against it as he thought the hands were too long and had to be a replacement.
    Do you all agree? I can't buy it at this stage (and the seller is an unknown quantity), this is more for the sake of collective education and discussion.

And also because DirtyDozen inspired me by posting yet another smattering of beautiful Longines.

[​IMG]

Hope the picture upload works as I'm doing this all from a cell phone.

Edited Mar 9, 2016
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 9, 2016

Pic upload didn't work

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 9, 2016

I think I finally figured it out good enough but placement is tricky to manoeuver... Kudos to the forum programmers though as the functionalities and ease of use overall are terrific.

arkstfan likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 9, 2016

PS by the way, you'll note the markers on the subdial are all identical, contrary to the ones posted in an earlier thread, so it does seem there may be variants-- and this dial seems unquestionably original.

arkstfan likes this.
  5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 9, 2016

It is difficult to comment on the originality of the dial based on these images however it does seem correct. As for the hands, I think that they are probably original. The style and color match well with the dial and I have seen other Longines with minute hands that extend past the outer minute track.
    I feel that it is important to clarify that many correct subdial designs exist. In the other thread, I was specifically referring to subdials with each second marked, no numerals, and an open track. Subdials that satisfy these conditions are more often seen as I described them, than as is the case on the watch in question.

6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 9, 2016

Here are a couple of similar Longines with raised numerals.

2.JPG 1.JPG

Syrte likes this.