Forums Latest Members
  1. troniq Apr 2, 2015

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 2, 2015

Here's a newbie opinion. The case would appear to be polished. The dial appears original to me. I'm unfamiliar with the seller but if it has been serviced and has a "lifetime" warranty on the service then one might be able to put this one into wearing rotation and begin enjoying a stainless steel Constellation with the popular "arrowhead" markers.

The Constellation of the 1950s is one vintage watch with which I've had complete satisfaction over a long period of time. Both accuracy and dependability have been pleasing between maintenance trips to the shop every five years or so. Realistically "or so" probably applies here as I haven't been entirely prompt in giving it needed attention.

A person could always buy a pig-in-a-poke Constellation of similar style but without any service history from an internet auction for $500-$700 less. One would need to take responsibility to service that pig-in-a-poke though in order to obtain best satisfaction as well as to banish unnecessary wear. The cheaper watch with a complete rehab which may include some new parts may end up being nearly as expensive as that "buy-it-now" price tag on the watch in your auction link.

Having said all that, now you should await the real "heavy hitters" to share their views.

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 2, 2015

While most of the components appear original like the dial and hands, the case is a little overpolished for my taste. It's nice that the watch has been serviced and would make a good daily wearer if you can get the price down a couple of hundred.

[​IMG]

troniq and noelekal like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 2, 2015

This seller has a technique for replating the movement in a finish very close to the original.

Dial looks original and far better than average. Case is polished, but I've seen a lot worse.

Price is high, but seems open to negotiation.
    gatorcpa

5. troniq Apr 2, 2015

Nice, hopefully that will be up in the classifieds!

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 3, 2015

Which unfortunately can hide past mistreatment and possible mismatched parts.

7. Triker15 Apr 3, 2015

Surely it should read Chronometer not Chronometre on the dial

8. tamura Apr 3, 2015

Look at the bezel...
    This seller destroyed every watchcase he came in touch with!

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 3, 2015

Not on this model. It is correct. Google up "Omega Constellation 2852" and see what you get.

True, but at least you know the movement has been disassembled and serviced. You still need to do the research to know what the correct parts should look like.

If only he could take one step back from the grinding wheel...

He knows his audience and this is what they want.

gatorcpa

Triker15 and John R Smith like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2015

Nope

11. Triker15 Apr 3, 2015

It gets more complicated every time, I'm 67 and only just started with Omegas, no chance of catching up with you lads

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 3, 2015

It's best (to discriminating buyers) if you can still see the engravings 'Constellation', and 'Waterproof') on the case-back bevel/step. This seller's watch appears to be badly polished front and back. Here's what it should really look like:

$_57.2.JPG $_57.5.JPG

troniq, tamura, gatorcpa and 2 others like this.