Thoughts on this c-case 168.029?

s-l1600.webp s-l1600.webp s-l1600.webp s-l1600.webp s-l1600.webp s-l1600.webp Well, here we go again. I've been after the 168.029 with the grey sunburst dial for years, and each one that pops up either sells before I see it, or the condition is very poor.

This one is without a bracelet for $1000, and I was thinking I could get the price down a bit and then have a full service done to it. However, I think moisture has gotten into the watch at some point, because I do see what looks to be signs of rust on the 9 hour marker, as well as possibly on the movement as well.

Is this a diamond in the rough just waiting to be cleaned up? Or should i continue the search? Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

I just picked up one of these they are beautiful watches. case looks unpolished caselines sharp, circular brushing still noted but photos overexposed. Correct movement for SN. Im not sure about the 9 marker- could be reflection, case otherwise looks good- movement looks good.
Try asking for more photos but seller is large volume operation not sure how responsive they will be. I believe they do allow returns but this can be cumbersome returning to Japan. Its definitely not a steal for $1000 IMO. Good luck let us know if you get it

Try asking for more photos but seller is large volume operation not sure how responsive they will be.
I have asked closer for additional pictures before and they replied saying it wasn’t possible, which tbh I wasn’t surprised at as they are a high volume seller.

I do think the 9 o’clock marker has corrosion on it. It can be seen in both the straight on photo as well as this angled one. That and the different color lume pips (possibly missing/mostly missing pip at 5) would bother me.

IMG_0449.jpeg

I see your point. These are very hard to photograph the sides of indices are highly polished and very reflective. Here’s couple photos of mine looks like some indices are off color but they are not.
I’m certainly not saying the OP example is fine, but it may well be ok. Lume pip as noted.
IMG_1276.jpeg IMG_1304.jpeg

O and A of OMEGA has some blemishes I think, hard to be sure what it is, if these flake usually the base color of the dial is yellow, probably lacquer flaking instead of full on paint flaking

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 10.41.20.png

I appreciate everyone's input.

Price is definitely not good considering the obvious flaws, but could be a good deal if I could work out a lower price with the seller.

However, the corrosion on the hour marker is really concerning and who knows what other corrosion might be lurking elsewhere beneath the dial.

The slight wear on the dial pointed out by @kaplan is also a concern, I've seen lots of these dials that have chipped paint all over, and those spots could very well be the beginning of something bad.

The search continues 😵‍💫