Forums Latest Members
  1. sjg22 Sep 11, 2017

I'm keeping an eye on an a386 that's for sale and would appreciate some expert guidance as, while I've done my research, I'm not overly knowledgeable about Zenith.

The watch below, I believe, is a Mark I. It has the "HA" dial - i.e. H and A line-up - the "E" in El Primero is also positioned as one would expect from a Mark I. Furthermore, I believe the case doesn't have the bevel that would indicate a Mark 2.

The crown looks to have been replaced. The seconds register hand has also clearly been replaced (all three may have, but the second register is obviously too short). I believe the hour and minute hand are original and I'm 50/50 on the chronograph hand. It's the right length and lume seems to match but looks slightly too clean (maybe repainted?).

The case has been polished (in fact, I believe the case # has been polished off). The caseback is correct for a Mark I in that it's plain. Lots of dirt on the pushers, leaving me to conclude they're original. Bracelet is original and date on the clasp (4/66) would line up with a Mark I.

All that said, the one thing that particularly concerns me is the tachmetre scale - it looks like some of the numbers have been rubbed off, partially or completely. Looking at an array of these watches, this isn't something I've seen as a common issue - do we think that this results from an attempt to clean up the dial?

Overall, thoughts on value? Presuming incorrect crown and seconds sub-dial register and tachymetre condition (but balanced by original bracelet, rare Mark I case and dial and overall rarity of the watch) - is this one the members would suggest grabbing at the right price. Looking through the Sales section here (and on other forums), pricing seems to be between $12,000 and $14,500 - depending on condition, whether there's a bracelet, originality, etc. Is this more $12K or more $14.5 - or something altogether different...

20170905_101907_resized.jpg 20170905_101915_resized.jpg 20170905_102501_resized.jpg 20170905_102111_resized.jpg

Edited Sep 11, 2017
  2. wristpirate Sep 11, 2017

A photo of the caseback would help.

Has bevelled edge where the lugs meet the case, so it's either Mk2 or Mk3. Mk1 has no bevel at the base of the lugs.

Case has seen some polishing, the chamfers on the side of the lugs have lost definition but still visible. Could be worse.

Replacement crown as you say, wonder what watch that came from.

If date on clasp is (4/66) then that's not original. The A386 was launched in 1969, so 66.......:whistling: but the end links look correct.

3. sjg22 Sep 11, 2017

Meant 4/68 as the date on the clasp. Conceivable for a '69 watch?

I've requested some better photos of the caseback, but this is the best I've got right now (I don't see a case number - I asked the seller to tell me what was inscribed on the back, and they replied back with "The case is stamped ZJ", which is clearly the endlink code. As that's all they saw, I'm guessing that the case number has been polished away...).

[​IMG]

Edited Sep 11, 2017
  4. Frederic_gva Sep 12, 2017

Hi,

This is a mk2 case, 100% sure. 1. according to the caseback, 2. according to the lugs/case junction as @sailor said

This A386 is in average condition to me. There are a lot of small things that I don't like : the worn off bezel, wrong crown, hands colour, stains on the dial (in the center), small second hand too short, GF bracelet date not matching.

if you budget is tight, take it, it remains a A386 in acceptable condition with GF bracelet, etc... If you can afford more than 12-13k USD, i would pass this one and wait for another one... This remains my opinion.

5. sjg22 Sep 12, 2017

Sold at auction, including buyers premium, for $10,500.

I passed but I think someone got a fair price. Not a ton of money left it in given some of the issues noted.