Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this '45 service watch?

1. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

Looking for a war era time piece and stumbled upon this in some local classifieds. I'm trying to get an idea of the price (he's listed it at $250), or more information on the model, but I can't really find too much.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 2, 2016

Were it all original, and the case back (not shown) clean, the price would be reasonable. But as both dial and crown look suspect, I wouldn't buy it for $100.

Syrte likes this.
  3. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

Thanks! What's throwing you off about the dial?

4. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 2, 2016

The font on the dial is too thick for that era, and does not look similar to the genuine dials of that time. The hour markers are also slightly off in terms of angle compared to the lume dots around the edge of the dial. Dial does not look consistent with age of the watch.

Edit - I would normally be a bit more in depth with explanations, just saw this as I was about to drive home...

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 2, 2016

Lettering is relatively thick, and appears crude. Probably an older redial.

Here's a correct example:

[​IMG]

Edited Sep 2, 2016
    Syrte likes this.
  6. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

That sub dial cutting off the 6 is all I notice now :(

edit: Do you happen to know the reference or model of these?

7. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

I brought these points up to him and this is what he replied with.
    I purchased it from owner in the 1990's, he was an 80 year old retired RAF Flt. Sgt. station at an East coast radar station from 1939-1956. This was his "issue watch" and is significantly different from the civ calatrava pictured (which is happily pay $1500 for with good provanance), in ways I'm not going to bother to address. No the price is not negotiable. Good luck in your collecting!

Thoughts?

8. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Sep 2, 2016

Nothing has changed. The dial has still been refinished and the watch is still not worth purchasing.

Syrte likes this.
  9. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

Noted, thanks.

10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 2, 2016

Others above have summed it all up.
    Further more - the above claims this is an "issue watch" are complete baloney (to stay polite).
    This has nothing to do with a Longines issued watch, whether US, British, German, French or any other nationality.
    This is a 100% civilian, late 40s / early 50s style watch.

If you want to waste your time having fun for 5 minutes, ask him to show you the engraved case back markings proving it's military issued, and specifically to point out: 1/ where is the British government property mark ? 2/ where are the markings saying it's RAF?
    3/ what are the markings if any showing what year it was issued?

11. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

Done and done. I'll post an update soon.

12. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

He said "It's sold" as soon as I asked him about the markings.:rolleyes:

While It's only $250, this is why I love this place. It's so easy to get sold from some shady guy on craigslist trying to sell a story. But at the end of the day, I've learned something about a certain brand of watch from a certain era of time that's hard to research on my own.

13. bryanmanio Sep 4, 2016

Final update (I've since stopped responding)

"Correction *the Omega forum knows squat about Longines (beyond the basics). It's like asking about a VW on an Audi forum. If you ever want authentication on a Longines, which is done (unlike an Omega) ENTIRELY through serial numbers, let me know. Or research on a Longines forum. What they were saying was 80% nonsense (although closer about Omega military)."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Pontificator Sep 4, 2016

Bryon, while you were talking to these "Longines experts", the buyer (who I was also following on a Longines forum) had me write down all the serial numbers for him and contacted Longines. Apparently he was pretty happy for scoring this watch for $250. I had a good laugh too!

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 4, 2016

So you are presumably the seller? Be sure to check back in when you (or the "happy" new owner) can produce a shred of evidence that it was a military issued watch.

And as we are also pulmonary experts on this forum, we won't be holding our breath.

bryanmanio, Syrte and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  16. Pontificator Sep 4, 2016

I almost couldn't resist answering when Syrte asked his (reasonable and easily answerable) questions but the watch was already being sold - and I was having too much fun watching the ripples! I was just bored so put out a little teaser watch mostly for my own entertainment, a small loss, it was probably only worth about $1k as the condition was poor. I was just expecting fun with my local Longines guys. It was almost certainly a service watch (I believe, verified by the serials - and unless a very very rich old man who was a friend of my father was lying to me). Water under the bridge now but thats the trouble with retiring young, too much time on watches/ forums! Now I'll go back to using my normal handle, speak to you all soon!

17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 4, 2016

Unadulterated hogwash, and still not a shred of evidence.

Worth $1000? LMFAO

The buyer – if there really was one – got the short end of the stick at $250

18. Pontificator Sep 4, 2016

19. ulackfocus Sep 4, 2016

It's against the rules at nearly every internet forum to have two different screen names. Thanks for the head's up that you're breaking the rules.

20. Ritzwatch Sep 4, 2016

It is also very off-putting that a seller would not be willing to accommodate a buyer with a pic of the case back so the buyer can make an informed decision; rather, that seller has so much time on his/her hands so as to engage in these kinds of games. If the members here trying to help the buyer are mistaken, why would the seller not engage in the conversation and try to educate them as well, if for no other reason than this forum wouldn't give bad advice on one of his potential sales in the future? In my experience the forum members here are interested in giving accurate advice, not speculative advice. I don't know anything about this watch, but I am glad I was 't the buyer. Whole thing seems shady to me..