Forums Latest Members
  1. dbane007 Jan 17, 2017

I saw a sales post late last night for a 1960 2998-4. It was listed by"thewatchguy" and post has disappeared. I didnt get a good chance to look at it as it was midnight. But this morning I did a quick search and i think I found the fellows website. Here is the watch in question.

http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/FORSALE.html

upload_2017-1-17_12-8-39.png

Opinions appreciated.

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 17, 2017

I messaged the seller and he doesn't know what happened to his listing. Perhaps the Mods do

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 17, 2017

I'd check out the rest of his site to get a feel for who he is.

From the main page:

"I've been collecting and repairing watches for many years. During that time I have put in thousands of hours learning everything I possibly could about the subject. Early on I realized that finding information, reference material and supplies was difficult and time consuming. I mean, it's out there to be found... it's just scattered... Assuming you are probably searching for the same things I was searching for, I decided to start this site, and compile that information in one place to share my knowledge with others."

I'd also be curious to know why the listing was removed. He was a brand new member with one post when I saw the ad last night.. So there are some issues that should be explored further before dropping that kind of money.

Otherwise, it all looks ok from what I saw last night.. Other than the bracelet, and the "aftermarket" crystal... do your homework and buy the seller.

mebest likes this.
  4. calalum Jan 17, 2017

The watch looks ok. Not spectacular. The price seems optimistic to me, but they don't come up publicly for sale so where it might land is anyone's guess. At those numbers I would want to see the watch in person before moving ahead unless the guy is widely verified as a good person and honorable seller. JMHO.

nonuffinkbloke and oddboy like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

Just checking with Darren as he runs that section

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

Should be back there now, Darren had temporarily pulled it given the value of the watch as a first listing pending some more info in the seller, just passed that on to him and it's live again.

7. thewatchguy Jan 17, 2017

My name is Kevin James and I am the author of a watch collector website "thewatchguy.com" which I started back in 1999 to help other watch hobbyists. Its mostly a free information site (I do the occasional restoration) but I dont offer advertising and for the most part its a site that I put together to help other hobbyists and budding watch repair enthusiasts. Since i wrote it my site has reached over 10 million visitors and currently I get about six to ten thousand hits per week. Not too bad for a hokey little website that I wrote from my recliner at home... I've been collecting and repairing watches for roughly 20 years - cant remember really when I started. Since that time I have bought out the inventory of 4 retired watchmakers, and have tens of thousands of parts in stacks of cabinets (stems, crowns, staffs, crystals, detents, hands etc etc). I also have countless old movements, parts watches, and about 100 watches in my personal collection. The reason I'm writing this is because I'm new here... so I completely understand the skepticism noted above, but I can assure you that I'm no scammer. This is my personal watch that I have owned and enjoyed for a decade. To anyone reading this and showing interest I hope you understand that I will also be very skeptical and cautious with any buyers that approach me -- because I've never sold a watch this way. (I've bought and sold through eBay under the handle 'thewatchguy.com' and you can check out my profile).

I came here because I know the watch will be well received here and will find a good home - and you guys love Omega as much as I do. I wanted to offer it up to the best collectors in the world but I am concerned with the logistics of selling and receiving payment for something so valuable. Regardless, I wanted to give it a try. If I am unsuccessful here I will most likely list it on eBay in the near future (seems like the cleanest and most protective way to go for both parties), but will post an alert before I do so interested buyers can have a crack at it...

In regards to the bracelet, it is my understanding that this is a 7077 transitional -- which from my research is correct for this era watch. And yes I did replace the crystal with aftermarket but i have the scuffed original. I would also disagree with "not spectacular" comment - it is better than most that I have seen after all! Otherwise it is my opinion and belief that this watch is 100% correct and original right down to the box.

Thanks for having me here on your forum - so far everyone has been super enthusiastic and friendly!
    Kevin

Traveler, Vitezi, al128 and 14 others like this.
  8. Psych Jan 17, 2017

Welcome to the forum. And good luck with the sale. I truly mean it because I'm going to find it difficult to eat or sleep properly until your and Spacefruit's offerings are OHPF....

Lonestar likes this.
  9. tempusfugit861 Jan 17, 2017

It's optimistic but a very nice watch. Ask yourself a better question: How many of them do you see like this for sale and when will be your next shot at one? With some of these 2998s and 2915s, there simply is no formula to fix prices on them. They are just too scarce to get a good feel. Some don't come up for sale but once every several years. This is more the specialty of the the man of our house, but I'm learning the ropes. :)

10. calalum Jan 17, 2017

Better than most still doesn't get me to spectacular, which is where I would want to be at that price. Not a criticism of you or your watch but, rather, just my observation after having seen a lot of early Speedies. GLWTS.

thewatchguy likes this.
  11. tempusfugit861 Jan 17, 2017

Of course we all have to buy what we like. Correct bracelet, end links, crown. The patina isn't perfect, but it's pleasing. This watch could be worth 35k.

thewatchguy and bama2141 like this.
  12. thewatchguy Jan 17, 2017

much, much, much better than most... lol. seriously though, no offense taken.. I love the watch and am going to be sad if it sells... My wife is trying to talk me out of it, and having some luck.. so its going to take the right price to pry it from my greedy hands. :)

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 17, 2017

Thanks for coming by Kevin!

For info sake, there are two others at least on the market, same reference, comparable condition, similar price. They have not moved in several months. Maybe there are buyers out there somewhere, maybe the market will catch up if you're patient, maybe this is priced a touch high...

In any event. I wish you the best of luck with your sale!

nonuffinkbloke and Dgercp like this.
  14. M'Bob Jan 17, 2017

What? Much rarer than your watch.

15. tempusfugit861 Jan 17, 2017

According the latest ebay sale, the bezel alone may be worth 4k usd. :eek:

16. thewatchguy Jan 17, 2017

I saw one '6' link end sell for 800 bucks! and a transitional band without the ends sold for 2000. Heck maybe I should part it out..I could get 5k just for the box and the band... lol . shame on me for such an evil thought!

tempusfugit861 likes this.
  17. tempusfugit861 Jan 17, 2017

I agree. In parts the watch would be worth quite a bit, so one would hope you can find a buyer who appreciates that and wants to keep it together. I am not ready to spend 35k on a watch today, but I believe your watch is priced where it should be. Just my opinion.

18. tempusfugit861 Jan 17, 2017

On a related topic. I have noticed that some of the most beautiful patina on indices can be found on 2998 watches. They tend to have some very pleasing color as they age. Blame it on the radium?

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

Agreed!

20. thewatchguy Jan 17, 2017

Interesting thought and very possible. I've seen many watches with radium hands that haven't run in many years and when you remove the hands there are brown stains on the dial! I recently had a restoration job on a beautifully aged Omega where the owner insisted on refinishing the dial against my advice because he was afraid of the radium. I've since learned that a piece of paper can block the rays from radium...