Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex Jan 15, 2015

Hi chaps,

In looking at '53s I slipped off into the world of other 283 cal watches and found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171635211681Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network which I like the look of as a daily cheap watch.

Just wondered if anyone has seen one like this before...can't find the face on any other 283s out there.

Help most appreciated!

2. rhetoric Jan 15, 2015

Well, I've had this one on my Ebay 'watching' list for a few weeks. Did some research and it looks quite genuine. The red seconds hand seems to make it attractive, but I don't know how original that is. Take away the bright leather band and it loses some appeal as well, perhaps? The very large numerals give it a pronounced 'old-fashioned' look, if you like that. However that's compensated for by the centre-seconds look. Just my take on it. If you could get it for a reasonable price you might be very happy with it.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 15, 2015

I really do not know anything much about these at all but the second hand looks very short to me

4. tyrantlizardrex Jan 16, 2015

Yeah...I love the big Arabic numerals...but something just feels a little wrong? Maybe it is that second hand?

5. John R Smith Jan 16, 2015

The second hand is certainly not original, and the other hands are also suspect because they do not match the inset chapter ring.

rhetoric likes this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Jan 16, 2015

It feels a bit "frankenwatch" - the case back is right for the cal, but I can't find a face like that, which corresponds. Agree on the hands.

I don't think it's cheap enough to take a punt on..

7. rhetoric Jan 16, 2015

When you compare the dial to http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-30t2-sub-seconds-ck2639.20347/ for sale on this very forum, it seems that both the hour hands match the chapter ring, but neither of the minute hands does. Gavin's watch however seems in much better condition in all aspects. Very attractive. And no problems with it's seconds hand!

8. tyrantlizardrex Jan 16, 2015

That's a thing of beauty!

Not a huge fan of the sub seconds dials though... Different strokes for different folks. :)

9. alvaropinto Jan 16, 2015

I don't know what to say about this watch. The lumed numerals don't quite fit on that kind of dial, maybe that was redone?? If not, then the hands match.
    Seconds hand is definitely wrong, not omega at all.