Forums Latest Members
  1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 6, 2015

Hi there,

I am in conversations over acquiring this 1965 105.003 (the evtl. deal is still 1-2 months out there - so, don't need answers fast ;-)

the watch comes with the original stretch (1039?) bracelet and a first plausibility test checks out ok ... (see pics)
    - 22.0xx.xxx movement
    - 105.003-65 case back
    - straight lugs
    - non "professional" dial
    - metal Omega overlay
    - narrow T-swiss made-T

known issues (as detected by me)

- hands are obv. too new, chrono hand has incorrect square bud
    - wrong bezel ... as a matter of fact its just the bezel insert sitting there - so a new-old bezel would be needed to be sourced
    - not sure about the condition of the movement ... there seem to be a couple of incorrect screws in there (can you confirm this, I am guessing here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am on fairly friendly terms with the guy (a local) and the pics were taken by me.

What's your take on the condition of the case, crown/pushers, movement? any other issues I might have missed?

I welcome any input and appreciate the time you put into it

cheers, Al!

2. Davidt Jun 6, 2015

At first glance I thought the dial had been relumed but the more I look, the more I think it's original and quite good.

I also think that although the chrono second sweep is new, the minute hand (and probably the hour hand) are original.

Hard to tell from the pics but the case also looks decent and possibly unpolished.

As you say, the bezel is wrong, as are the pushers. They should be smaller. The crown is a newer replacement but this is less of an issue.

At current market prices you may need to allow up to $1k for a bezel so factor this into your price.

3. SAN79Y Jun 6, 2015

One of the pushers is wrong, they look to be different sizes so you only need to change the bottom one. Agree with the rest you said. I have seen this watch elsewhere and can't figure out how you wear the inside of the bezel so you lose the dots.

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 8, 2015

thx, any thoughts on the condition of the movement? Any red flags there?

cheers, Al

5. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 8, 2015

That bezel has never touched Bienne. It looks homemade!? The numbers on the scale does not even align as they should.
    The dots missing is most likely due to incorrect centering when milling the darn thing to size.... That bezel is really bad/home made!

But - I would not mind the rest of it.
    About USD2000-2500 away from becoming a very nice 105.003 I would say! Factor in a service with parts, a bezel, crown and pushers.

The movement looks fine. No signs of corrosion. Not a mint movement as you can see marks here and there from lesser skilled watchmakers, but the 321 can take some abuse.

Good luck and happy hunting!

6. emilio Jun 8, 2015

Crown is also not original..

Do you have pictures from the bracelet? What do you want to pay for this watch?

7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 8, 2015

No, no pics from the bracelet ... As mentioned I am on rather friendly terms with the seller, we have not really "got into talking prices" ... he mentioned he would like to get 5k-ish for the watch

That's a lot of money ... how does that sound to you guys?
    cheers,
    Al

8. Davidt Jun 8, 2015

5k?

Dollars? Pounds? Donkeys?

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 8, 2015

5k What....just to check, USD?

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 8, 2015

Its gotta be Donkeys

(Ok I know, dollars)

11. marturx Jun 8, 2015

Bad watch. Not worth the trouble. The bezel is a fake one. I just wonder what kind of a "friend" that would try to sell you such a rubbish watch @5k??

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 8, 2015

Several issues with this watch, the primary problem is that the dial might not be one I would want to live with. This could be just the photo but the plots look very white.

Secondly there are several pieces of evidence that point to, not confirm, an assembled. Here is what I see and don't like:

1. movement number 220x xxx seems low for a -65.
    2. The hands have been changed
    3. The hands are incorrect Specification
    4. The bezel is completely wrong
    5. The pushers are incorrect specification

On their own each of these issues are not so serious - even the movement issue could be solved by obtaining an extract to confirm it is for a 105.003. However all together, it looks like someone cobbled things together, or made good using the wrong parts a watch that needed a lot of work.

But to start off with a watch with so many flags, would be daunting for me - coupled with the concept that I would not find the dial attractive at the end of it all.....

AAAKK likes this.
  13. Davidt Jun 8, 2015

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic here but I think the pictures just might have too much brightness on them, hence the pale plots.

I agree that it could well be a Franken, but it could also have been sent for a service to someone who used all modern, incorrect parts. Obviously that poses its own problems and the uncertainty is a huge issue in itself.

OP, do you have any other pictures of the dial, not altered in anyway? Maybe in the sun?

Regardless, I wouldn't be parting with 5000 of many things for this. If the dial is simply overexposed and looks better in real life, I might take a punt but not for anywhere near 5k.

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 8, 2015

US$5.000,- again, that is most likely where discussion would start ...

15. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 8, 2015

Edited Jun 8, 2015
  16. Davidt Jun 8, 2015

You say you're on friendly terms with the seller? What's his story? Is it a watch he's owned for years? Family heirloom? Is he a dealer? Does he know any of the history?

I was hoping another pic of the dial woud show the plots as a darker yellow. Having seen it in the flesh do you think the very pale yellow-green shown in the pics is accurate? Most people prefer the plots to be a darker yellow-orange and while this paler colour may be original, it's less desirable and given the plethora of other replacement parts, it may be a relume. I actually still think it's original but the mere uncertainty affects the value.

17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 8, 2015

sorry, no history to go with the watch - at least not "this was my grandfather's watch and he passed it on to me on his dying bed" ... while not being a dealer, the guy buys, keeps and sells watches on a hobby-basis - I have bought stuff from him before (but not 5000 donkeys worth ::bleh::) and it was a good-no-nonsense transaction

I am also a bit worried that it might be one of those Buenos Aires, Argentine specials ;) as I am in South America, not too far away ...

18. 736007 Jun 8, 2015