2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 31, 2013

Where is the watch?

3. Dablitzer May 31, 2013

Can't see a picture yet...

4. pitpro Likes the game. May 31, 2013

Movement must look bad, always beware what's not shown

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2013

6. Dablitzer May 31, 2013

I think the case has been ruined by overpolishing. The movement is probably very aged. The dial may be original but it's hard to say because the pictures taken are highly reflective...I'd pass.

7. zercado May 31, 2013

Thanks for the advice...I'll pass on it.

8. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

I'm very skeptical of any seller who claims the watch was recently serviced yet doesn't show a picture of the insides. The seller has over 1100 transactions and didn't think to snap a couple shots? Either it was NOT serviced <or> the movement isn't as nice as they'd like it and they're purposely omitting the photo of it because it would potentially bring down the final price.

The case has been polished, but there's still a little edge on the side of the lugs. Remember that most eBay buyers are not collectors, and shiny + pretty > original. It's not easy for an amateur to get the brushed and polished finishes on right, let alone on the correct surface(s). This usually means they run the entire watch on the buffing wheel.

9. zercado May 31, 2013

Thanks Dennis.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 31, 2013

I think if you've decided to get yourself a vintage watch, the nice examples inevitably come with evidence of age - whether that's with dial patina or case scratches or movement discoloration. From what you've asked you seem to be drawn to vintage watches that look like new - and most of these examples (like this one) have been refurbished to achieve precisely this look. This approach for myself and other collectors actually reduces the value of the watch and makes it less and not more attractive. If your goal is to find a mint original vintage watch then you are likely in for a long wait and may have to pay a significant financial premium for the piece.

11. zercado May 31, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I actually pulled the pin and bought a 1960 Seamaster off the forum here yesterday and now I'm hooked and want to buy more. My new watch is quite nice looking but not perfect, however you are right that I am drawn to very clean looking pieces. I think my best bet is to give up on eBay and other sites and just be patient and buy off here and the recommended eBay sellers.