Forums Latest Members

Thoughts On This 1951 Seamaster From Vintage-watches-collection.com

1. zercado May 17, 2013

Hi, I originally was only looking for a watch from my birth year of 1960 but I'm starting to get frustrated so I have expanded my search. Since joining this forum I have truly started to appreciate the beauty of vintage watches. Before, I was just a guy on a quest wanting to own a watch from a specific moment in time. It seems like there are some very beautiful watches from the 1950's and since the watch will be older than me I can get over the birth year concept. Anyway, I came across this 1951 bumper and I would appreciate any input. There are several more very nice pieces on their site so any thoughts on the pricing etc. would be great. Thanks again for any and all assistance.

http://www.vintage-watches-collecti...master-bumper-automatic-steel-deco-dial-1951/

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

it looks like refinished dial and polished case. The price is in high side. you should check forum sales section here to find better specimen at more reasonable price.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

4. zercado May 17, 2013

Thanks for the input, I've been checking the sales section here but have yet to see something that grabs me. Disappointing news about the 1951 bumper.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

Sorry to break the bad news for you....but it is better to know it now rather than AFTER you buy it. Trust me, I have burnt myself several times.

6. zercado May 17, 2013

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

7. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage May 17, 2013

I can see why the uninitiated enthusiast would be interested in this watch after reading the sellers blurb. It is total lies :mad: Isn't there a law against such blatant bullsh#t advertising of this kind?

"Another important aspect of this watch is its superb condition and total originality. This model featured extremely attractive art deco arrowhead markers on its dial and equally deco dauphin hands. We would certainly suggest that, largely because of its striking dial, this is one of the most attractive vintage Omega Seamaster variants from the immediate post-war period. The dial is, of course, fully signed “Omega Automatic, Seamaster” and is in almost perfect condition, with no damage or discolouration. Exactly as called for by the serious collector, this dial is original and unrestored, and the watch has its original hands and winding crown, the latter complete with its large Omega logo on its outer surface."

8. zercado May 18, 2013

I hate to admit it but he had me hook,line and sinker. I am very thankful to you gentlemen and this forum. I am also quite gun shy now and will definitely not be purchasing anything without checking here first. Cheers!

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 18, 2013

That's the wisest thing to do. The experts (I am not yet the one......still in learning mode) and mods are very helpful and willing to give sound advice to any member of the forum.