Forums Latest Members
  1. thevespabandit Jul 24, 2016

Hey all,

the exciting time has come whereby I'm coming close to pulling the trigger on my first Speedy. It's taken me a while to find something I like, and these look like they tick all of my boxes few boxes.

Here's mumber one,
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bond...ellent-condition-omega-speedmaster/1054052692

And here's number two...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Omega-Sp...837203?hash=item3d1fff6893:g:yvQAAOSwIgNXi0WVPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

For my US friends, it equates to around $5kUSD.

Any thoughts or comments will be super appreciated...

2. ewand Jul 25, 2016

The Gumtree one looks the better of the two IMO, though is it suspiciously too clean & polished? The DO90 Bezel and serial no would mark that out as an early 69 watch. Looking at http://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/, the Gumtree one would be well within the expected range, and the Ebay one is right at the top.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 25, 2016

Assuming the Bondi one is viewable and safe - it looks an absolute steal.
    Its a 2960xxxx and exhibits the even chocolate brown I see in this serial range.
    With a dial like this, everything else (within the bounds of common sense) is secondary.

In case I haven't made myself clear.

Go and buy it before someone else notices its a brown dial!

You cannot use the chart to value browns, which can trade anything up to 300% over when compared to a non changed dial, but its all about the attractiveness as perceived by the buyer. Its an arbitrary value - one that some do not value at all, while others go crazy.

http://speedmaster101.com/blog/brown-dials/

thevespabandit and blubarb like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2016

Something odd about the gumtree one, listed nearly a year ago ?

Wouldn't buy something on gumtree worth that much without seeing it....

5. thevespabandit Jul 25, 2016

Thanks so much for your input guys.
    @ewand it does look very clean, it does check out with the cross referencing I've been doing, but then again I've only been looking at these beauties seriously for a very short amount of time so my eye isn't as sharp as others.

@Spacefruit I did know about the famous brown dial but didn't realise that was an example of one.

@STANDY you're right, it has been up there for a while. The dude seems to deal a fair bit in watches, but it is hard to tell without knowing the guys (unfortunately hasn't got a reputation to run off unlike some people here where you'd be happy to part with cash without seeing the goods). Surely someone would have snapped it up by now aye?

6. ewand Jul 25, 2016

Looks like he's had some offers but presumably would rather keep it going for months and get his asking price...

7. dx009 Jul 25, 2016

Another aspect of the ebay one is the fact that the pictures are slightly misleading as far as shades and lighting goes. I don't know whether it was intended or not but to the naked eye the watch will look different and it's possible that extra marks and scratches might be visible in comparison to those pictures.

8. thevespabandit Jul 25, 2016

Yes the gumtree guy seems firm but has clearly had some low ball offers, I'm still not 100% sure and unfortunately can't check it out without buying an airline ticket...

The eBay one was listed earlier with other photos that weren't as luminated. I suspect their photography skills aren't up to scratch. I contacted the seller who told me where it was purchased from initially. It does check out, it's also unpolished from memory. I'll see if I can get the other photos

9. ewand Jul 26, 2016

The ebay pics are quite odd - the first one looks like he's trying to be arty and colour it black & white, but the later ones show quite a nice lume plot colour. If he has other pics of the watch in natural light then it might be worth a deal; bearing in mind that it has a DN90 bezel, it's right at the upper end of the price range for that kind of watch, unless it's been serviced (which it won't, or he'd have said so).

On 2nd look at the Gumtree one - both pictures of the dial show the chrono hand and minute register at the same point even though the time is different; maybe a simple oversight but I'd be thinking the chrono function is maybe busted...? Fixable but worth checking.

10. spin_transistor Jul 26, 2016

Gumtree example looks terrific! Brownish dial, nice condition DO90, 1039 bracelet. Certainly a very nice watch to enjoy.

11. thevespabandit Jul 26, 2016

Yeah, the photos are not great. I'm trying to find the old listing where the other photos weren't as luminated. It is unpolished as I asked the seller, it also came from a dealer in Brisbane, which I could easily call so that side of things stack up.

I'll definitely ask about the chrono function right now...

By goodness, the consensus is in by the sounds of things. Thanks a bunch :D

12. blubarb Jul 31, 2016

I saw this on the Bay. Looks like it's definitely worth your time checking it out. looks like a stunner to me. Gotta love those chocolate dials.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252477474181?ul_noapp=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

13. thevespabandit Jul 31, 2016

Damn gorgeous aye!? That's one of Nick's, he's on here somewhere...