Forums Latest Members
  1. Fredrik (Swe) Apr 6, 2016

I don't have an issue with hodinkee having their own "shop" and of course mistakes happen. What I have an issue is when they go out and say (quoted from their website).

"With the HODINKEE Shop, we’re changing the conversation. We’re giving you everything you need to know about a watch to make a decision – and frankly, much more. Why? Because the world of vintage watches has been stuck in a flea-market mentality for too long. Today, the best watches in the world are slung in backpacks, across borders – iPhone photos offered over text message and Whatsapp to clients with little chance to see the finer points or take the time to ask what’s wrong with a watch. Prices are hidden, changing depending on who’s asking, with little regard for what the actual market price may be. Essentially, each buyer is on his own, hoping that the seller has the decency to reveal the true history of any given timepiece.

How? We're going to go so far beyond what any seller is offering it's not even funny. We've built a beautiful interface to support high-res images, and we've even gone as far as to tell you what we don't love about each watch – because there is nothing worse than being told something about your watch. We'll tell you everything from the get-go. Good and Bad. Because you know what? These watches are old, and it's OK to have some things wrong with them – anyone trying to sell you a half-century old watch with nothing wrong with it is selling you something else entirely."

I thought initially that this "new way" of selling a vintage watch was a good thing as it's quite tiresome to see watches listed from dealers only pushing for the good things without being up front of the (sometimes just small) issues with what they are selling.

But from several examples of watches they've sold they have missed/left out "bad things" (some quite easily to spot for a medium trained watch collector eye). Because of mistakes or not they have a large following and a large part of it are new collectors that rely on their expertise. If I would have bought the Speedmaster (trusting the "good/bad") , "being told something about my watch" I would be quite annoyed...

2. TNTwatch Apr 6, 2016

Looks like the lynching has started a bit early while the jury is still out. There are more unknown variables than this, but has anyone ever thought how the pushers from 145.012 could possibly be installed on the 105.012-66CB case?

dennisthemenace likes this.
  3. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 6, 2016

Easily during any service as the crown was also updated

4. x3no Apr 6, 2016

No lynching. We all admit mistakes can be made.. I think we just hold those in the lime-light a bit more accountable.. As they should be right? And in the end, as long as we are all learning I think that is what matters most. :thumbsup:

5. TNTwatch Apr 6, 2016

How easy is it? How do you put a screw in pusher into a plain hole? Have you done or seen it done yourself?

6. blubarb Apr 7, 2016

This about sums it up for me.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

Are you saying all CB or CB-66 cases have plain holes and use press fit pushers then? Both press in and screwed pushers are shown for the 105012, so some use the screwed pushers based on the Omega Extranet...

8. incabloc Apr 7, 2016

that could be, some of the early 105.003 have also screwed pushers

9. TNTwatch Apr 7, 2016

That the 105.012 has both screw in and press in pushers is a known variable. Whether the -66 CB has both types of pusher is an unknown variable. Whether the short pushers originally existed in screw in type for the -66 CB or not is another unknown variable. There are other variables also, but can you provide the answers to the above ones?

You're apparently one of the very few who's looked deeper than skin deep at the pushers, unlike many others, either before or after I posted the question about them.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

I can't answer the question...I thought you knew since you appeared to be certain that it would require press in pushers when you said this:

I wasn't making the claim...:)

From my perspective as a watchmaker working on a watch, I simply look at the case from the inside to determine if they are press or threaded pushers. ;)

11. TNTwatch Apr 7, 2016

That's the common assumption many people have, but I questioned that with my first post. I just used this myth to trick him into understanding my question.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

So you don't know either then? Not sure what myth you are referring to...

13. TNTwatch Apr 7, 2016

No, that's why I said unknown variables in more than one post. The myth is the -66 CB would just have the press in pushers. That's why when I asked the question assuming that case only had plain pusher hole, he didn't know what to answer.

I don't know what type of pushers the -66 CB is supposed to have, and nobody including you knows either. If nobody knows the right answer, why a lot of people jumped to conclusion that the pushers were wrong?

Funny that the sellers have happily accepted the lynching, not just because they didn't know, but also because they just assumed several myths as true and didn't look further than skin deep either.

Edited Apr 7, 2016
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2016

So we agree - it could be screwed holes in the case and therefore not correct. Thanks.

15. TNTwatch Apr 8, 2016

It could just as well be correct. Your guess is just as good as mine.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2016

I think we have established that none of us knows, including the sellers...which is the point I think... :)

TNTwatch likes this.
  17. (O)MEGA-FREAK Apr 9, 2016

Edited Apr 9, 2016
  18. lethalwl Apr 11, 2016

al128, gminnj, Davidt and 5 others like this.
  19. x3no Apr 11, 2016

20. ibis888 Apr 11, 2016