Forums Latest Members
  1. milwatch126 Jul 1, 2016

For the better informed every day's a learning curve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122007830462?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

and this 105.003
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152142965770?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Guess the dial is wrong (short indices) large pushers, and serial way out!

M

Edited Jul 1, 2016
  2. micampe Jul 1, 2016

I think the Ranchero is mostly ok: dial, case, and movement look fine, probably some polishing. Seconds hand is wrong should blued steel, crown is incorrect, main hands have been relumed or replaced, hour hand looks a tad short, on mine it just touches the tip of the indexes, but it looks to be the right shape so I'm not sure.

I have zero clue on Speedmasters.

Edited Jul 1, 2016
  3. cimo Jul 1, 2016

I'm sure the true experts will be around in a minute, but off the bat I notice the case is very highly polished and it looks like one or more of the movement bridges has been replaced. The bezel is also a replacement.

I would be interested to see the outside of the case back. I wonder if any engraving remains at all after such an aggressive polish.

The more experienced here can tell you if the dial is correct. That part I'm still learning. It's a tritium/ applied logo/ stepped dial, so that's good. But there can be some nuances in the text and subdials which I can't speak to and will defer to the veterans here.

4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 1, 2016

With regards to the Speedmaster, I will go with replacement bezel, sweep hand wrong, relumed and or service dial?. Curious, no pic of the outside of the caseback.

5. Davidt Jul 1, 2016

I'd say the Speedmaster has possibly had two major services in its time.

The dial and hands are incorrect, but clearly have age. Given the wide T, step dial, with short markers, I'd say it was replaced in the early 70's along with the hands. The fact that the movement also looks like it's had some replacement parts, suggests to me that this watch experienced significant damage early in its life that warranted a new dial, hands and movement parts. This wouldn't be expected after 5 or so years, so perhaps it suffered water damage. The dial and hands look to have aged together nicely over subsequent decades.

It then looks like a dealer has got hold of the watch in the very recent past, polished it up and installed a new bezel, pushers, buckle and strap ready for sale.

It's obviously not as appealing as an original example, but I do think the hands and dial have been in here for some time, so I'd value it over a 105.003 with all service parts.