Forums Latest Members
  1. Anthonyw Jul 13, 2017

Hi all,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on these Omegas? The first watch (1st pic) one looks like a redial - the font isnt crisp. The rest of the pics are of the second watch. The font looks right for a 1920's watch but the hands look too clean to be original. Sorry pics aren't great. Am I on the right track?

redial RAF military omega.jpg Omega trench 1.jpg Omega trench 2.jpg Omega trench 3.jpg Omega trench 4.jpg
    dancazacu likes this.
  2. Anthonyw Jul 13, 2017

Any thoughts? Or advice on how to write a better post asking for help? :unsure:

3. marturx Jul 13, 2017

It's not you. But show some patience awaiting some answers. I think it may be a low season right now

Anthonyw likes this.
  4. Anthonyw Jul 13, 2017

Phew! Standing by...

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 13, 2017

You are on the right track. Especially on the first watch. Modern redial on that example, and not a good one.

On the 1920's model, the hands look to be the correct style, but someone circumcised the minutes hand for some reason.

Dial has a lot of hairline cracks. Crown looks to be just barely attached.

Unless this watch is very inexpensive, I'd pass on it. Going to take a lot of TLC to get it right.
    gatorcpa

Anthonyw and UncleBuck like this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 13, 2017

What are your ties to "Military"?
    Not doubting, just wondering.

7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 13, 2017

Hi all

What i love about the "Wristlet" aka the second timepiece... the caseback looks as if it was pounded inside out so the markings would appear on the "outside" of the caseback... but the marking in the photo are normally found on the inside curved surface of the outter caseback...

Very odd....

Good Hunting

Bill

Anthonyw likes this.
  8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 13, 2017

I'm curious about the case as well. perhaps recased or a "custom" case from another country?
    The Omega stamp sure looks genuine.

I'm still looking for the military connection, perhaps the style?

Anthonyw likes this.
  9. Anthonyw Jul 13, 2017

@gatorcpa: Hurray! good to know I'm learning something and developing an eye for redials. Thank you so much for the advice...I'll be skipping both of these. The second watch looks like it would be super grimy inside a well based on the part connecting the crown to the movement.

@UncleBuck: The first watch is an RAF issue around WW2 era (http://www.ebay.com/itm/British-RAF...792702?hash=item1a3014653e:g:ZEgAAOSwgu9ZYozKPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network). The markings all look legit, too bad its a redial. I've seen the style of the second watch described as a trench watch so I figured it would be military-ish? Who knows I'm a vintage watch neophyte so I'm learning as I go.

@Bill Sohne: Ha..okay so thats a Wristlet, good to know. Also weird about the case back inversion...never would have thought of that but makes sense!