Forums Latest Members
  1. nihraguk May 5, 2014

Hi everyone,

Being recently infected by the Speedy bug, I have just purchased a 145.022 1968 transitional from someone on WUS. The watch is here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=1024488

What do you guys think? Does everything check out? I've paid for it already, but please don't pull your punches. Would like to know what you guys think.

YW

citizenrich likes this.
  2. Sherbie May 5, 2014

I,m no expert, but quick glance over raises 3 questions for me

1) dont like the uneven colour of the movement
    2) bezel is surely too good to be true - not a single blemish on it?
    3) very shiny over polished case (esp the lugs)

i,ll let the experts confirm though

Cheers,Paul

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 6, 2014

I do like a 68 transitional, nice to have that case date for an 861, quite rare. The case looks polished on the back, but the lugs look good.

the plots on the otherwise nice dial look "worn" out. Dirty and not as attractive as some. However on balance the dial is ok as this is a rare reference. Also the dial may be much more attractive in the metal, I have a feeling these photos do not do the watch justice.

i don't like the look of the chrono hand as it does not match the others, I believe it is usually a rounded tail spear, rather than the square fitted though both are acceptable for me, in the absence of better information. (edited for clarity)

the bezel is spectacular, and probably not the original as it's condition is so much better than the rest, though of course it is correct specification.

I am sure the movement colour is just poor photography. Let's hope! Serial no is in correct range for a -68.

and of course must not forget the price.

on balance therefore I think you have a good watch, right for the money and wearable.

well done

Event horizon likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 6, 2014

Very nice, and at that price you certainly didn't overpay.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 6, 2014

I tried to buy that one for the bezel alone, but someone beat me to it! :)
    Congrats, I think it was certainly worth it. Not without its flaws as others have noted but the price was right. The back really bothers me but once you have the bezel centered it will show very nicely on the wrist.

6. nihraguk May 6, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Much appreciated. Kinda bummed that after I receive it I will probably be sending it for servicing... and will only get to wear it in several months' time.

I should clarify that I paid a bit more than the asking price on that For Sale ad; the total (including shipping by FedEx to Hong Kong and PayPal fees) came up to just under USD 3k.

Spacefruit: would you care to elaborate on your thoughts concerning the chrono hand? Speedmaster101.com (which I think is your site?) states that 145.022-68/69 transitionals come in either the 'spear, or square tail spear'. Do you mean that the 145.022-68s usually come in the rounded tail spear, whereas the 69s may come with the square tail?

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 6, 2014

My main concern with Chrono hand is that it does not match in colour or patina to the other hands. This is NOT a big deal!

It is easy to correct, and if it were my watch I would use the rounded tail hand, as I suspect this is more correct - although the example on the www.Speedmaster101.com site does show the square ended one, I do have another transitional with a round one..

I do like a good disagreement with myself......

I edited my original reply to be clearer.

8. nihraguk May 7, 2014

Thanks! Let me just say that your site has been a terrifically helpful resource for someone new to the hobby like me.

9. nihraguk May 17, 2014

Long overdue wrist shot:

[​IMG]

NT931, TLIGuy and Davidt like this.