Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on the speedmaster '57 series

1. nonono Aug 10, 2018

Hi guys. I'm thinking of adding an automatic speedy to my collection. Chanced upon the '57 series and came across a few interesting models in the series. I'm kinda deciding between the blue dial with red second hands, and the half steel, half red gold one. Any advice would be appreciated as usual. I know speedmasters are known for their manual winding movements, but I thought it would be nice to have a more contemporary, automatic piece too, with the 9300 movement.

Screenshot_20180811-111400.png Screenshot_20180811-111338.png
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 10, 2018

Get the one you like best. Try it on first though.

nonono likes this.
  3. rob#1 Aug 10, 2018

The blue dial with contrasting red hands looks great, with the added bonus of the brushed silver bezel. The arrow hands, straight lugs, no crown guards combined with the 9300 movement is a nice mixture of classic and modern Omega. It’s more sporty than the gold version, depends where you’ll wear it most...

nonono likes this.
  4. nonono Aug 10, 2018

It's so hard to like one more than the other! Enough to make a decision at least ::confused2::

5. nonono Aug 10, 2018

Thanks for the recommendation. It's the combo of the blue and red that I really like on the steel model. But having said that, between the two I've only had the opportunity to see the gold/steel one in person.. The red gold bezel really jumps at you. I'm guessing I'll be wearing it to the office mostly so I would like something that's not too sporty. Having seen the gold/steel one in person definately sways my inclination towards it. However I'm hoping when I see the blue dial one in person it will difinitively tell me which of the 2 is the winner...any more information on this series in general would be hugely appreciated!

6. rob#1 Aug 11, 2018

It’s easy - just get both! One for the office and one for the weekend, sounds reasonable ;)

7. WatchWalker Aug 11, 2018

I recently purchased a second hand 1957 broad arrow replica. So the hand wind model with PIC code 3594.50. These are rather affordable now but it has turned out to be one of my favourite speedies when on the wrist. Maybe less fashionable but certainly more authentic imho.
    They come on a steel bracelet but here's a picture on a distressed leather strap...
    IMG_9567.jpg

Mtek likes this.
  8. nonono Aug 11, 2018

In an ideal world that would be the obvious choice but unfortunately since my world is less than ideal, I've had to make the tough choice between the 2. The red gold was too cool for me to pass up :)
    So that takes care of speedy no. 2..i have one more, last and final slot in my collection for a speedy::book::

DSC_0320.JPG
    LemansBoiler and alam like this.
  9. nonono Aug 11, 2018

Yes tbf I was considering the broad arrow initially. But I felt it was too understated for the kind of use I had in mind . Beautiful piece nonetheless