Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on the Longines Heritage Collection?

1. WatchVaultNYC Aug 8, 2016

Having a Black Bay and an El Primero New Vintage 1969 (arriving today!), I understand the appeal of a vintage-inspired modern watch. While picking up one of these Heritage Conquest watches (amazing looks for cheap) I was introduced to the Longines Heritage line.

[​IMG]

I mean look at these designs. And column wheel chronos for $2K street price?

[​IMG]

Look at this squinty-eyed beauty!
    [​IMG]

I think they're amazing, and right up there with the Tudor Heritage line (in fact I suspect Longines is becoming Omegas's Tudor) Thoughts?

Mr.Cairo, Jwit, GBTRIUMPH and 3 others like this.
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 8, 2016

DaveK, GuiltyBoomerang and STANDY like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

That's funny, I completely disagree with that. The reason Swatch Group is keeping Longines alive is to be able to make money off of Longines' magnificent past. We can regret and feel sorry that they have made the choice to bring it to a mid-range level -- and believe me I do. (If there were crimes in watch-land this one would rank as a felony).
    But if some people like to enjoy those beautiful designs with modern quality and a relatively reasonable price, why not?

Also, and much more selfishly I'll admit -- the heritage line is known to be Longines' core activity these days-- the only thing that's really working well.
    And I want it to stay alive because that's what's keeping their history department running efficiently.
    Why do you think they have historians working for free at your beck and call answering queries in two week's time? Not for charity obviously.
    That's because that's what's feeding the buzz about the history of the brand-- and their whole "heritage" business leans on it.
    So I'm all for the heritage line-- I personnally prefer the actual vintage ones, but can understand why one would be tempted by that beautiful "big eye" red bezeled chronograph which has become totally unaffordable for regular people- and if the heritage line is key to their survival, so be it.

Edited Aug 8, 2016
    Mr.Cairo, noelekal, Rman and 6 others like this.
  4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 8, 2016

I should have been more clear and stated that when I view the watches above in isolation, purely as objects, I see them as @LouS so aptly described them, "soulless imitations". However, as you have lucidly stated, their significance goes far beyond their object-ness.

I also realize that if I were truly viewing the watches above in isolation, I would not be comparing them to their vintage counterparts and therefore struggle to deem them soulful or soulless. Furthermore, if I was viewing them purely as objects, untethered to their human designers, it would be difficult to even consider the question of a soul.

Edited Aug 8, 2016
  5. WatchVaultNYC Aug 8, 2016

IIRC @LouS did get himself a heritage-styled El Primero (I also got my hands on one recently). So clearly, it's not a black/white issue.

Here's the pic:
    [​IMG]

Here's the thread:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/2020-update-looking-for-20th-zenith.7215/page-2

Both the "Camaro Longines" and "Skin Diver" models are pretty scarce (the Conquest not so much, and I have a matching vintage '67 Conquest full kit obtained incredibly cheap), and if you find them, expensive. It's not just a matter of choice, it's also a matter of availability and price. Sometimes you can't have something even if you can plunk down the dough to buy.

Larry S and Darlinboy like this.
  6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 8, 2016

@WatchVaultNYC Interesting... this could be the beginning of a good discussion.

Syrte and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 8, 2016

I approve and can appreciate these "homage" watches for one simple reason.

They are built with modern materials and thus can be worn every day without worry of water resistance, excessive wear, part replacement. You also don't have to worry about scratching that mint case or those sharp lugs.

Heuer made some excellent Carrera homages and companies like Longines and Omega also make very faithful remakes.

Jwit, George.A, GBTRIUMPH and 3 others like this.
  8. WatchVaultNYC Aug 8, 2016

In defense of where you got your quote from though, those "ye olde tyme" style heritage watches that Longines first put out were really atrocious. I think they got their act together and realized that reproductions were not the way forward - its bringing a vintage vibe to a modern style, which I think works really well.

Jwit likes this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

The comparison with Tudor is an interesting but a revealing one.
    There are noteworthy differences between Longines and Tudor.
    Of course Tudor was always a sub-brand of Rolex whereas Longines was not a sub-brand, it was a prime brand which had exploits and patents to its own name.
    But Tudor, while a subrand, managed to create at least one original design-- the beautiful "snowflake" hands which were designed especially as part of their contract for the French national navy and which Rolex did not have.
    Another major difference is that Tudor's heritage lines are not mere reproductions of the old models, as for Longines -- they are creative modern takes on the old models. The colors of the Black bay and Pelagos lines are completely different from the original Tudor snowflake. It is a smart choice -- because it caters to the tastes of people who like @LouS do not want something that's just a slavish reproduction, but resolutely modern.

Edited Aug 8, 2016
    Jwit, GBTRIUMPH and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

I think taking design cues from vintage is great. Classic design with modern functionality. I agree however that making limited runs of a vintage knockoff to create a "collector piece" in bogus and soulless.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  11. GregH Aug 8, 2016

I think it's hard to get the right mix of vintage design cues and modernity, @Larry S but when it works, it's fun. I posted this photo in a Zodiac thread, but am reprising it here because of this thread and @Syrte 's threat about mixing vintage and water. I love these little Zodiacs, but don't really wear them in the rain. The modern version has enough of the vibe of the vintage for me to enjoy wearing it, but is a modern robust piece that I don't fear wearing.
    image.jpeg

https://omegaforums.net/threads/are...ches-non-diver-wearable-when-its-rainy.43780/

Jwit, GuiltyBoomerang, Syrte and 4 others like this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

They're all very nice @GregH !

13. GregH Aug 8, 2016

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

Are these recent? Went to zodiac website and all they seem to have are diver watches. Were these special runs of production?

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

Top one is recent. Others 1960s-1970.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  16. alam Aug 8, 2016

@WatchVaultNYC I'd like to see in the flesh the first model you showed; looks like a decent-looking every day/dress watch option...I'm sure vintage purists or those searching for the most unusual haute horology piece will disapprove.... :D

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 8, 2016

Interesting discussion.

More watch pics

IMG_20160309_193938.jpg

18. GregH Aug 8, 2016

@Syrte is correct @Larry S The top one is the heritage version and the other three are vintage. The modern one is a bit larger but not crazily so and wears well. The two in the middle are 35mm vintage to the39mm modern. The bottom one dates to the mid 70s and is intermediate in size.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

Love those Zodiacs. Interesting watches. Here is classic but modern watch @ 38mm ...Enamel dial ... I will be one of 2-3 owners when mine arrives. Dial was made for another client but they made several. I really wanted a chrono that was an everyday wearer. All mine as basically fair weather friends. Was going Zenith or Omega till I saw what Mr Murphy had made.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png

adam78, Pun and GregH like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

And my WW1 inspired RGM 801 COE.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    TexOmega, adam78, GregH and 1 other person like this.