Forums Latest Members
  1. remi Nov 27, 2015

Hi All,

This is my first post here, but I've been browsing for a long while. Great forum!

I recently missed out on a 166.0251 at auction, and as a result have become somewhat obsessed about tracking one down- which obviously is not easy. I just love the diver hands, case and amazing integrated bracelet- it rocks such a great late 70's vibe.

I'm interested to hear the forums views on this particular seamaster, and any tips on tracking one down!

I've attached a photo of the watch I missed (damn damn damn).

Thanks for any tips!

Remi

View attachment 175392

2. remi Dec 2, 2015

No-one have any advice/thoughts regarding this reference? I know it's relatively uncommon, but still....in my mind one of the best Omega designs coming out of the 70's, now just to find one (another one!)

3. cristos71 Dec 2, 2015

Hi Remi,

I think you haven't had any reactions as your link isn't working. Maybe try to post the picture directly here

4. remi Dec 2, 2015

I'll try the picture again...thanks. image.jpeg

5. fibonacci086 Dec 2, 2015

6. remi May 30, 2022

Old thread alert- I never lost my enthusiasm for the 166.0251; and have been tracking them for almost 7 years since I missed the one at auction in my first post.

Finally- I found one that I thought worth buying; perfect patina on the original dial and hands, best bezel I have seen on these, and a lovely original case. Same owner for over 25 years. In even better timing, it turned up just before my birthday and is a birth-year watch for me. Crystal is original too, so plenty scratched up; not sure whether to leave it be (it's only original once). Will get onto sizing the bracelet tomorrow- can't tell if it is screwed, or whether they are pins?

So glad to finally have one- I remember the day I tried the first one on in 2015, in a room full of vintage Rolex/ Omega/ Tudor- and no watch sang as much to me as this one. I still feel that way- and being further down the rabbit hole of watches I now really understand why: it is a stainless steel dive watch from one of the big players, with a tonneau-ish case, integrated bracelet, crown guards, matte dial with lovely tritium indices, fully hashed and lumed bakelite bezel and a movement which hacks and has a quick set date. What a spec sheet! Add to that it is a rare bird compared to the usual suspects- so well worth the patience to chase one.

I'm thrilled.

Remi

IMG_4281.jpg

7. Ron_W May 30, 2022

Great find and many congratulations !! You are a patient person.

8. remi May 30, 2022

Turns out you have to patient to find a good one- not surprising when at any one time there are either none or perhaps one for sale in the usual places!

Paedipod and Ron_W like this.
  9. Paedipod May 30, 2022

Fell in love with this reference with my first reading of AJTT and picked up a fair example shortly afterwards but traded away. It is one of about 5 references that I have re-bought over the years.....so a better example back with me since 2019.

Here with its buddy
    IMG_2686.jpeg

5thdvd and flqt-9000 like this.
  10. remi May 30, 2022

That's a great example! Before I size the bracelet, anyone know if it is pinned or screwed- can't tell from the side whether those are screw heads or not?

Thanks

Remi

11. remi May 30, 2022

And a wrist shot- am struggling with the bracelet though- looks like the links are secured with screws (see picture)? Unless anyone thinks different... but I can't get any of them to budge. Local jeweller couldn't either- anyone got any tips?
    IMG_4286 2.jpg IMG_4288.jpg IMG_4289.jpg

12. Caracal25 May 30, 2022

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

13. remi Jun 27, 2022

Never managed to shift those links despite heat etc, so wandered into the city to the Omega Boutique. They loved the watch- and we snapped this photo. It's with them for sorting of the stuck links... I'll report back.

Remi IMG_4311.jpg

speedamatuer and flqt-9000 like this.
  14. flqt-9000 Jun 27, 2022

the bracelet of my example has pins not screws..

15. Paedipod Jun 27, 2022

mine as well.

16. remi Jun 28, 2022

Thanks- yes, came to the same conclusion. But couldn't get any of them to budge!

17. remi Jul 25, 2022

So- after a few weeks at the Omega work-shop, they have been unable to shift any of the bracelet links. They tell me that they are screws. Waiting for the watch to come back- but their only suggested solution is a new bracelet?

Anyone have any better ideas for when I get it back?

18. remi Feb 22, 2023

Realised that I never posted a follow-up…from an independent watch repairer I got a recommendation for a local jeweller who could help.

Dropped the watch to him late afternoon, and he called by 9am to say it was fixed. He determined with his loupe that the stuck pin was swollen at each end, and used a tiny tungsten drill bit to drill out the pin and removed a link for me. He charged me less than $100.

So after 6 weeks with the Omega workshop, he had it diagnosed and sorted in the space of one afternoon.

That was 7 months ago now- and I haven’t taken the watch off since. Each time I consider swapping to my other watches, I change my mind and come back to this one. I genuinely think it is just about the perfect vintage SS watch- certainly can’t think of one I like better.

pmontoyap, Hoody, Paedipod and 2 others like this.
  19. Gael.Bx Feb 2, 2024

For information, it is still possible to order bracelet or link to Omega...