Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Speedmaster Racing v Tudor BB Chrono?

1. gr4z May 15, 2021

As a huge fan of Omega I was about to pull the trigger on my 2nd Omega, a white dial Speedy Racing 329.30.44.51.04.001 then took a look at the new Tudor Black Bay Chrono (Discover the TUDOR Black Bay Chrono Watch - m79360n-0002 (tudorwatch.com))

Apart from being significantly cheaper, has anyone had any experience of this Tudor chrono or offer any advice either way. Appreciate its very new but it does look great, the movement sounds good and has 200m water resistant with the screw down pushers. As the Speedy is only 50m I would want to swim in that! Anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers

Speedy.png Tudor.png
    Tako Yaki likes this.
  2. Dsloan May 15, 2021

They are both great options. Personally, I like the look of the Tudor. But, I think the downside of the Tudor typically are:

1) the snowflake hand can make reading the subdials hard. Also, if you actually like to time things, the Omega has an hourly totalizer; the Tudor does not.
    2) some people are turned off by the slab sides. The Omega is actually slightly thicker, but tends to look a little thinner on the wrist.

But, it's a tough call. Can't really go wrong either way. Though, may be worth waiting and see if the prices come down? Tudor used prices are usually a good value, but these new releases seem to going for a premium right now...

3. kcgunner May 15, 2021

I love both. But I love new watches the best. I'd go with the Tudor just because it's a new watch. That's just me though.

4. amcclell May 15, 2021

I love the new Tudor BB panda.

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 15, 2021

The Speedmaster looks so much busier than the Tudor. I'd go with the Tudor, but the reverse Panda.

Pazzo likes this.
  6. cap1 May 15, 2021

Like others have said, I like both but learning towards the Omega.

7. MtnMarine May 15, 2021

I also hate to take away from the omega, but that Tudor is awesome. My biggest difference would be the water resistance. They’re both great. Good luck!

8. Tekashi_145.022 May 16, 2021

I loathe the 45-minute register on the Tudor. The Speedmaster’s 12 hour timer is much more practical for me :thumbsup:

OMEGA fit and finish are another league above Tudor, in my experience. Admittedly I have not handled the BB Chrono yet.

I also find the legibility of that Speedy superior to the white dial BB Chrono.

That said, I love the design of the Tudor BB chrono (especially with the black dial). The screw down crowns make it better around water, too.

9. gr4z May 16, 2021

It’s a very tough decision which I am finding very hard :) thanks for your input. I am swayed towards Omega just because I already have one (PO), I have never owned a Tudor before or know anyone who has one to be honest. That might be a great reason to buy one!

10. mbpro May 16, 2021

Tudor all the way on this one!!

11. rootbeer7 May 16, 2021

The only thing that would put the Speedmaster ahead for me is the combination of white dial, white hands & white dots on the Tudor. If they’d made the dots like the Rolex Explorer 2 it would be perfect. I prefer the black dial Tudor.

12. Butik May 16, 2021

Grained dial of the SPeedy is absolutely aawesome, also hour / minute counter with two hands gives you better usage of the chrono (if you will ever really need to use it ;)). But it's big at 44,25mm. I am OMEGA fanboy, so I would personally go with Omega obviously, but Tudor looks nice too. Very personal choice here.

13. scapa May 16, 2021

I have small wrists, and found the Speedy Racing a bit big and tall for me. Had a look at but couldn't try on the new BB Chrono (it's new owner was having it sized) and it is very nice indeed -- although I'm still not crazy about the screw-down pushers. But well set-up dial, etc.

TBH, though, I'd probably also have a look at the new Longines BigEye Ti -- only a few trickling in, but I love mine (original model) and it's a heckuva deal for the money, with a very nice updated movement and superb pusher feel (closer to the Omega in feel than the Tudor, IMO).

[​IMG]

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hand...tion-bigeye-chronograph-petrol-blue-titanium/

Edited May 17, 2021
    HorologicalyBent and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 17, 2021

Omega…. That Tutor just looks like a cheaper not as good looking version of a Rolex…

15. Tako Yaki May 17, 2021

The Omega, just looks fantastic!
    Omega have such a different quality feel than Tudor imo!
    And...
    You don’t see that often white face Speedmasters.

If I want to get a Rolex, I’d buy one, not the 2nd choice! Sorry!

16. Tako Yaki May 17, 2021

Double post!

17. jaguar11 May 17, 2021

I like the Tudor BUT I am just not keen on the snowflake hour hand because it restricts the view of the sub dials. IMO it adds nothing to the look of the watch and the balance would be better without it. This is suppose to be a functional chronograph. The Speedy is and always will be a classic. Not sure about the Tudor though....

18. Bugbait May 17, 2021

Depends if you actually want to use the chronograph for its intended purpose? For me, the 45min totalizer on the Tudor is far too short. There are many times I want to time in hours. Then there are the screw down pushers which are hideously impractical if you intend to use the chronograph with any frequency. They make active water use safer but you can swim with a 50m watch just fine, which has been discussed to death on this and other forums.

Before the pandemic I would swim and shower with 30m and 50m WR watches regularly without issue and none of my watches have screw down crowns or pushers.

GrouchoM likes this.
  19. JetLinks May 18, 2021

I have to say the Omega as I've had the same white face Speedmaster sitting on my wrist for most of the past 9 months and absolutely luv it! It's a pretty big watch and makes my other watches feel small when I switch over, but the dial and build quality are just phenomenal!

richiv likes this.
  20. hronists May 18, 2021

Neither of them.

Search for Tudor photos, silver hands disappear on white dial.

As much as I love Omega, I find their latest watches too big and too thick.

rbob99 likes this.