Forums Latest Members
  1. rdkfman Apr 10, 2013

Hi everyone, I found this watch a few years ago in my grandparents old house. At the time I thought nothing of it and just kept it in the garage of all places and forgot about it! A few weeks ago i was doing a bit of sorting and cleaning and became reaquainted with it. I couldnt wind the crown as it was stiff, so took it to a local watch repairer who had a look at it. In the end he said he just put some grease on the stem and wound it up for me and told me to wear and appreciate it. He said the movement looked okay but there were signs of wear, and quoted me £80 for a service. I just bought a new strap and left. I cleaned it up and Ive been wearing the watch for a few weeks now, and I love it. However I know nothing about it. I have tried to do my own research, but cant seem to find any information, which isnt helped by the fact I cant take the back off the case to see the movement. I was just wondering if anyone can help identify its age (roughly), value, and any other information about it. I also have a question regarding how you wind it? Are you meant to wind until it stops, or are you meant to stop when the resistance increases? After the repairer had wound it, it lasted for over 40 hours, but I dont think i have been winding it correctly since. I think the dial is original, as there is definite patina on the 2 oclock marker, and spotting on the dial. Crown is original too, and on the back it is plain except for the words Seamaster at the top, and Waterproof at the bottom. I have the original omega strap, but it is in a poor condition, and the buckle is gold plated from what i gather, but it too is in poor health with scratches, and the plating worn off in places. IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG
    I look forward to youre replies and help, thanks Richard

IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Apr 10, 2013

HI Richard. That's a 50's watch and the dial looks original. £80 is a very good price for a service. Go have it done before you ruin that heirloom! Running the watch with dirt and dried up lubricant will damage it for sure.

3. rdkfman Apr 10, 2013

thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the information Dennis. I thought the price was good too, but I dont think he will be using orignal parts, what sort of effect will this have? Although all parts will be returned, if that makes any difference.

4. ulackfocus Apr 10, 2013

Parts like a gasket, a mainspring, or a crystal are considered normal service items and can be generic. Even though I'm tired of automotive analogies, consider them like shocks, filters, and brakes on a car. Ask to be informed of any other parts necessary before they're replaced.

5. Superpacker Apr 11, 2013

Its heritage and story of its rediscovery are half of the cool!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2013

I agree for the most part - except crystals. I like to use Omega crystals, and people seem to enjoy the signed variety with the Omega symbol in the center.

Sometimes gaskets can be tricky depending on the watch too as some are odd sizes, but generally speaking are not a problem to use a generic gasket.

I use Omega mainsprings when I can and they are available. Using a generic can cause some issues with how the arbor fits, what diameter the spring is wound to in the shipping ring, etc., but these can generally be overcome in most instances.

Cheers, Al

Trev likes this.