Forums Latest Members
  1. pknopp Feb 4, 2013

Thoughts on re-luming a dial. (Is that what it's called)? :)

What is the thought here? Like with hands that are still half filled?

2. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 4, 2013

hands might be all right, in my opinion, dial is a no-go

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 4, 2013

For hands my preference would be to preserve what lume is still there. If it had been relumed earlier and the job was poorly done then get it redone by someone who can do a reasonable job of matching dial lume (not identical but close enough to make it look more natural).

For the dial, I would not relume even if all the lume was gone and even if you have someone who can do a good job of it.

4. pknopp Feb 4, 2013

O.K. done deal on the dial. Nothing. Now I realize I'm sort of repeating what you said back to you but I can be thick now and then.

You would prefer a half lumed hand to no lume or one re-done?

5. ulackfocus Feb 4, 2013

I think whatever state it is found in is the one Mike would prefer it to remain.

I've had the hands of vintage watches relumed, but a brown/beige dye was added so the new lume matched in color to the existing lume (if any) on the dial. It's a personal preference thing in most cases. However, if you're talking about an extremely rare watch than leave it be.

6. pknopp Feb 4, 2013

I realize this is an Omega site but. I've found you might get 1-2 replies on the watch specific site and I wasn't interested in getting 50 replies on a general watch site. :D I'm not trying to inflate ego's or anything LOL, but I think the best opinion can be found here, irregardless.

All the same, I admit to a faux pas and should have perhaps asked in the more proper section but whatever I learn here will apply to future purchases also.

The watch I posted here.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/tell-me-about-zodiac-watches.2470/page-2

Please move and continue there if better. Thanks

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2013

I think a lot depends on the particular watch being discussed. If it is an Omega, I would probably recommend against it. Most Omega collectors want everything to be as it was from the factory as much as possible.

I'm in the process of restoring an older Hamilton watch from the 1930's. I've had the watchmaker get the movement in shape, and now we're going on to the dial and hands. Here's the before picture:

[​IMG]

The company we're using to redo the dial and hands has the original dial blueprints and dies. I'm hoping that when we get done, it will look something like this:

[​IMG]

When redialling work is done correctly, the results can be dramatic. Correct redials are considered acceptable in the world of Hamilton (and most other American brands) and can actually enhance the value.

The issue with vintage Omega redials is that no one really knows how to do the job right anymore.
    gatorcpa

8. ulackfocus Feb 4, 2013

Don't think that has anything to do with what brand - it's more to do with the level of experience the collectors here are at. ;) In most cases, whatever you're considering has been done before by at least one of us, for better or worse..... and we won't hold anything back telling you about it. Granted, some are a little more tactful than others. ::shy::

E, you can say International Dial here. Lookit:

International Dial, International Dial, International Dial, International Dial, International Dial, International Dial, International Dial, International Dial.

See? :p

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2013

Sorry. I keep on forgetting that I'm not over at that PuristS place.
    gatorcpa

PS - I had lunch recently with Mr. Sohne. I think he wants in on the NYC GTG if that happens. Send me a PM.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

How often do you guys make that happen? I haven't been to the USA since I was a little kid so I'm thinking some traveling may be in order this year

11. ulackfocus Feb 5, 2013

There used to be 2 big GTG's each year - May in NYC and October in Tampa. They don't do them as formally any more, if at all. However, we can mobilize with enough advanced warning.