Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole Jul 23, 2017

Hello Omegoids,
    we all know that there's polishing and then there's polishing.
    I wanted to know the jury's thoughts on the subject. Ok so we all occasionally buff up a bit with an impregnated polish jewellers cloth (my favourite one is vanilla flavour) and then the next step up , prior to the bench/ angle grinder that vintage watch murderers use, is the handheld dremel thingy.
    I have one with one of those spinning giant cotton bud thingies and I sometimes use it carefully with a bit of jewellers polish to gently buff up cheap vintage base metal/brass type watches (not gold plated). Brass gets tarnished and spotty and often really benefits from this.
    My mind has been turning towards stainless steel watches , I'm aware how polishing affects the collectibility in the eyes of purists, but seems to positively affect sales in the eyes of consumers. You put 2 identical vintage watches side by side and polished case more often than not sells whilst the other doesn't.Of course decent photos and proper info listings are also important . As an enthusiast though where is the line? Before I sell any of my cheaper "flip"watches, I always clean out the crap from the nooks and crannies, take out the scratches with polywatch if I can, and give the wristband (if it is steel of course) a zap in the ultrasonic bath with white spirit. should I be running the dremel lightly over the case and band. Do we want to buff out the scratches too? Obviously as long as it doesn't clash with the overall effect.
    I've realised from the stunning WRUW daily photos that I'm never going to be the guy who's going to pay significant top dollar for the best "time machine" examples of vintage watches. I may get lucky and find one from time to time. This is probably why I've stayed away from Connies, the good ones are so expensive, and much of the rest it seems are so often messed about with especially with over polishing I can't tell real bling from fake bling. Conelpueblo has done heaps and heaps to explain these differences but I still don't get it, though I do see it when it comes to Speedies the lines are easier to make out somehow.
    So what's the verdict then. Knowing full well than any kind of polishing is abrasive and has some kind of effect, do we polish:
    a) a little bit with a cloth
    b) enthusiastically with a dremel
    c) Butcher with a bench grinder or
    D) none of the above .... ever!
    all thoughts and comments welcome..before and after pics for discussion would be great too.

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 23, 2017

"I'm aware how polishing affects the collectibility in the eyes of purists, but seems to positively affect sales in the eyes of consumers. You put 2 identical vintage watches side by side and polished case more often than not sells whilst the other doesn't.Of course decent photos and proper info listings are also important ."

There you have it. Different markets, different consumer drivers.

chipsotoole likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 23, 2017

First, I seriously recommend you stop tasting/eating your polishing cloths...

For someone who actually knows what they are doing, the bench lathe (proper polishing machine capable of using larger buffs, with variable speed) is much preferred to something small and hand held like a Dremel or Foredom. In the hands of skilled professional, the bench lathe is hardly a machine for butchering cases - it is much more likely to give you a better and more even result than a hand held small diameter tool.

Refinishing includes the application of many different surface textures (it's more than just making things shiny) and is a skill set that has to be learned just like any other. There are many poorly refinished watches out there - I see and fix them often. Many are done by people who do this for a living, but have either never learned to do it properly or just don't care. Many are also "home" polishing jobs that have been poorly done - I recommend leaving the work to skilled professionals...

Cheers, Al

4. lillatroll Jul 23, 2017

I want my watches as original as possible. Tool watches should look ie they have lived a little. I don't want a polished tool watch. Other watches, it depends. I would look for the best example but I have thought about buying some gold plated watches and getting them replated. Never got as far as buying one though as the idea of it not being original had put me off. If I ever buy a watch that needed a bit of TCL then I would have to send it off to a professional company.

5. chipsotoole Jul 23, 2017

...I was thinking more of the angle grinding hobbyist! And agree, major polishing should be done by professionals