Forums Latest Members
  1. GusPO Oct 4, 2019

I notice on the first one that there appears to be some joining in the characters of OMEGA on the dial - but not on the second. Have seen this joining on a couple of other constellations and just wondering if it's normal?

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 4, 2019

Here is a listing of the old parts number for Ref. 168.005:

https://boley.de/en/case-parts/omega/10537.168-005?q=168.005&p=0&s=50&l=13

Omega has a more modernized method for parts numbering today, but I don't have access to it.

Crown is not original, but that one looks similar to what Omega would use today if they were restoring that particular style. Unfortunately, no one that I know of has a stock of the thin 10-sided crowns to sell. You might find one on eBay, but I would guess that 90%+ are cast imitations.

If it is signed, I would leave it alone.
    gatorcpa

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. AdrianT Oct 4, 2019

Hello there,

Thank you for your fast response. What is interest that I have bought a crystal from an old watch repair shop for 10bucks, signed and same diameters and height as the original one, but different thickness - _-. Regarding the crown, this one looks OK? It has the initial dimensions.

Screenshot_20191004_210448.jpg Screenshot_20191004_210420.jpg
  4. AdrianT Oct 4, 2019

I can't tell...

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 4, 2019

You will not know if the crystal will fit until watchmaker tries to fit it to the watch. OEM Omega crystals are generally signed in the middle. To me, it is worth the extra money to go with the proper crystal.

I think the crowns are some of the 90%+ imitations (my opinion). If they fit and seal properly, then OK. I would have my doubts that they would.

There is a good reason to use OEM parts wherever possible. Especially for crowns, crystals and gaskets. Those are the first line of defense for keeping moisture out of the movement. If these fail, you may have big problems in the future.
    gatorcpa

AdrianT, Benbradstock, Dr No and 2 others like this.
  6. AdrianT Oct 4, 2019

Best advice. Thank you for time!

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. GusPO Oct 4, 2019

5_LI.jpg

These little bits here (have tried to point them out in red).

There are clear gaps in the second one here, but (at least to my eyes) the characters here seem joined together.

I don't really know what to look for here - it's probably just an effect of being watches from different years, but I'd be interested to know! :)

8. Waltesefalcon Oct 4, 2019

This right here. Overall the first watch is the better watch, however that dial on the second watch is very nice.

9. Waltesefalcon Oct 4, 2019

I have seen a lot like this. I think that some, possibly earlier ones had separate letters and later ones had this one piece Omega applied. It probably saved some money.

AdrianT likes this.
  10. AdrianT Oct 4, 2019

That's why I have fall in for the second one...

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 4, 2019

They all have connectors, from the earliest applied script bumpers, its all one piece, held to the dial by two pins.

Benbradstock and AdrianT like this.
  12. ClarendonVintage Oct 4, 2019

I would be really interested to know the consensus of the vintage watch community on swapping dial from different watches...to create the 'perfect' one. :confused:

Benbradstock likes this.
  13. KingCrouchy Oct 4, 2019

I wouldn't really appreciate to know that my Watch had the dial swapped out. But with vintage it's often hard to tell.

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 4, 2019

Lots of people do that but they keep their mouths shut.

sdre and ClarendonVintage like this.
  15. Benbradstock Oct 5, 2019

Agreed, I‘m kind of uneasy with this idea as well.

ClarendonVintage likes this.