Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on OMEGA Speedmaster 1957 Trilogy

1. mhoutman Jul 23, 2019

As I parted from many watches lately, I want to focus on some interesting pieces only.

Today I bought a Seamaster Trilogy as replacement for a IWC Aquatimer 3536 which went to my eldest son.

Now the Speedmaster 1957 Trilogy becomes also very tempting. The complete expression of this version is so spectacular. I also think this particular version is a good companion to my 2019 Moonwatch Professional or ... should I leave it ?

Pro’s and Cons please and as always thanks for your input :thumbsup:

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  2. janw23 Jul 23, 2019

LeonDeBayonne and mhoutman like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 23, 2019

definitely add the Speedmaster. That way when you eventually pick up the Railmaster it will have some nice company :cool:

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  4. mhoutman Jul 23, 2019

For some reason the Railmaster reminds me of an Rolex 1016 I owned until recently

5. Taybharr Jul 23, 2019

Have you seen a railmaster in the metal? I think they went a bit overboard with the faux radium lume on those. Saw one at the AD the other day and it just looked orange to me. From pictures, the Speedmaster lume is more subtle I think. Definitely some design similarities with 1016 Explorer.

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 23, 2019

Thoughts?

1) Its way better in the flesh than in pictures.
    2) I wish they did the lume like the ST2 (i.e. similar crystalline structure as tritium/radium based lume) just because I am a pedant.
    3) Now that I have seen the Apollo XI 50th bracelet, they could have made a slightly more accurate bracelet, just because I am a pedant.
    4) 2 & 3 are not minus points in anyway, but 1 is.
    5) This is the closest a mere mortal will get to a 2915. If that watch appeals in any way aesthetically, IMHO this is a no-brainer.

IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg

M'Bob, kokose7en, Nla91 and 10 others like this.
  7. rainking Jul 23, 2019

I couldn't disagree more, but it's all personal taste. I just got the Railmaster two weeks ago and I'm obsessed with it. I just stare at the damn thing all the time LOL.

I personally love the lume color, but I understand why some don't like it. That said, I'm reasonably sure you are lying to yourself if you think the lume color is different between the three trilogy watches, at least in my experience seeing them. The Speedmaster might seem less offensive to you because the hour indices are skinny straight lines rather than the triangular markers of the Railmaster and Seamaster, hence there's more of the lume to be seen on the latter two watches. That's probably why it seems more noticeable.

@mhoutman, my opinion is you should as always just buy what you like. It's not as though there's much rationality in the first place to buying watches that cost thousands of dollars LOL. But I hear you, too. I don't have the kind of money some people on this site have, otherwise I'd buy the Speedmaster as well. That said, for me, the moment I saw a Railmaster in the metal in an OB more than a year ago, I couldn't get over it. I'm a Speedmaster guy, but holy hell there is just something ... I don't know what ... about the Railmaster. As far as I can see, it is the exact same watch as the Seamaster, minus the bezel. OH, and that insane domed crystal on the Railmaster. I don't love the bezel on the Seamaster, and the Railmaster crystal put it over the top easily for me.

Why not the Speedmaster in my case? Couple of reasons. I have a 2017 Speedy Pro, and while the 60th model obviously looks much different (and I love the look), it's the same watch internally. I'm not particularly impressed with how Omega priced a watch with the same hand-wound movement. The 8806 in the Railmaster just struck me as more interesting. And of course, the Railmaster is easily the cheapest of the trilogy watches, which certainly wasn't a negative in my book. That said, if I didn't honestly love it, I wouldn't have bought it.

I also realized that I pretty much have never owned a steel watch that isn't/wasn't either a chronograph or a diver. I don't need (at least for the moment LOL) another watch with a numbered bezel in my drawer. The Railmaster's insanely clean design just sings to me. Finally, I actually traded my co-ax Speedmaster 57 broad arrow for the Railmaster, but I owned that watch for nearly two years and wore it all the time. There are obviously some big differences between that watch and the Speedy 60th/original that inspired it, but they are also similar enough at a glance that I wanted something more different. So it all worked out perfectly for me. Regardless, all three trilogy watches are great. No going wrong with any of them. I feel like the Railmaster is a perfect compliment to my Speedy Pro, but owning a Pro isn't any reason not to buy the Speedy 60th if it's what you want.

Eve, mikewxyz, amiriqbal and 2 others like this.
  8. Wivac Terribly special Jul 23, 2019

This is still the one I get itchy teeth and a warm squishy feeling about everytime I see it.
    Very true about seeing it in the flesh, my mortal frame was sorely tempted everytime I walked by an AD which had one in the window for far too long to be decent. Just the other week I was gazing at my Pro wondering if I could bring myself to chop it in against one.

9. Longbow Jul 24, 2019

Beautiful photos! Very tempting.

As for the Lume structure I can confirm that it is very grainy on the Railmaster.
    Grainy Lume1.jpg Grainy Lume2.jpg Grainy Lume3.jpg Grainy Lume4.jpg Grainy Lume5.jpg Grainy Lume6.jpg

Eve, gippo, Caliber561 and 6 others like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 24, 2019

Very interesting. Nice work at highlighting the crystals! Now that I look at it with a 15x loupe, it can just be made out on the hands (but not the dial plots). Extremely fine to the point of being a paste in comparison to the RM pics. Looks like I shall edit my post :) Excuse the bad pics...still don’t have a decent photo loupe system ::facepalm2::

E7839237-07C2-450B-B909-2DB9D2F1C8AF.jpeg CA54C402-D493-4EFE-8221-2C8EB1999ACD.jpeg

LeonDeBayonne, mblease and Longbow like this.
  11. NGO1 Jul 24, 2019

It’s my current fav. I’ll add a seamaster trilogy down the line.

F28C128E-79A2-4E9D-9A78-CC3D5A81F646.jpeg
    gr8sw, JPE.88305, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  12. mhoutman Jul 24, 2019

Longbow likes this.
  13. mhoutman Jul 24, 2019

Thanks for all your input. I could get a brand new one and it is already on its way :)

14. Martin_J_N Jul 24, 2019

Congratulations, lets see the pictures when it arrives

15. mhoutman Jul 24, 2019

On the comparison with the Railmaster see below my previous owned rolex 106. That dome :)

IMG_6973.jpeg

MCC, AveConscientia, Bp1000 and 2 others like this.
  16. mblease Jul 24, 2019

A very very beautiful watch

17. Longbow Jul 25, 2019

Railmaster hour hand lume close-up
    333421CF-43A8-4C86-8760-CD6F6D13095E.jpeg

18. mhoutman Jul 25, 2019

The watch already arrived today. Unboxing was a pleasure with this vintage box experience. Taking of some links was a hassle though as this tiny screws are not compatible with my eyes.

Ordered some leather straps at Bulang & Son: the Sienna and caramel brown leathers. Both will also work well with the Seamaster Trilogy which will arrive next week. :thumbsup:

Can anyone confirm that the 16 mm buckle as with the Trilogy leather strap has parts number STZ006410 11 HJD

IMG_7344.jpeg IMG_7346.jpeg IMG_7348.jpeg IMG_7349.jpeg IMG_7350.jpeg IMG_7352.jpeg IMG_7353.jpeg
    Eve, VjaceCZ, Bp1000 and 7 others like this.
  19. mhoutman Jul 25, 2019

what I really like about the Speedy Trilogy is that it is so 'different' than my 2019 Speedmaster Pro. IMO best of both worlds.

pongster likes this.
  20. Longbow Jul 25, 2019

I suspect that STZ006410 11 HJD refers to the whole strap, not just the buckle as my RM buckle is marked STZ006410 11 JJD on the strap and STZ006399 11 JJD for the beige NATO.