Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Omega Seamaster 135.011 in Private Sales?

1. ConElPueblo Oct 15, 2018

Hi all.

This listing was posted yesterday by @Vintage and raised some questions with a few members, @Gordon Heavyfoot and @Shabbaz in particular. As the comments were deleted, I thought I'd post a topic here - I hope this is not against the rules, but who knows?

The comments were in particular about the dial finish (refinished or original) and centered about the quality of black paint (seems to run up the side of the markers, which to most is a sign of redial on an Omega), the lack of lume on a "T SWISS MADE T" model and the name - to my understanding a 135.011 is never called only a Seamaster, but either "Seamaster 600" or "Geneve".

My view: I believe the dial to be refinished for the reasons listed above. If the dial had been a patinated silver in colour and lume had been present, I might have been more easily swayed to consider the "Seamaster Only" variety legit.

2. Rochete Oct 15, 2018

No lume and black paint creeping up markers and Omega symbol. "Never repainted or redone" sounds like a very bold claim to me.

3. S.H. Oct 15, 2018

Here is a picture of the listing for reference:
    [​IMG]

I wish the seller would upload sharper pictures : with the existing ones, it is hard to determine that the dial is original.

4. GordonL Oct 15, 2018

I suggested a separate thread just as you have started but was advised that it was indeed against the rules

Gordon Heavyfoot and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Oct 15, 2018

Well, if "in public" means "some public place other than OF" I guess this will be taken down soon, too.

6. peatnick Oct 15, 2018

My 135.003 is a bit older but horribly freckled for reference

135.003.jpg

Dan S likes this.
  7. Rochete Oct 15, 2018

That't be nonsensical, for any crap on sale anywhere would be protected from discussion by listing here as well. That would make OF the Worldwide Protector of Fake, Franken and Otherwise Crappy Watches.

Njnjcfp88 and Mtnmansa like this.
  8. mydeafcat Oct 15, 2018

FWIW, it was and remains the self-policing and brand thought leadership available of OF, based upon members’ deep knowledge, passion and commitment, that caused this noob to join OF 12 months ago and enjoy remaining part of this incredible community.

I appreciate @ConElPueblo taking the reins here and providing his usual sage observations. Indeed, his suggestions not only emboldened my first vintage purchase, it ensured any noob tax stayed in my wallet.
    Michael

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 15, 2018

I definitely looked suspect to me. In the pics it looked like paint on the markers, not rust. Also, some photos show good skill in watch picture-taking, so when other photos that would clearly show the markers are out-of-focus it admittedly raises a flag for me. I would want to see much clear photos of the markers.

S.H. and mydeafcat like this.
  10. JohnSteed Oct 15, 2018

If the watch is really fake, don’t nobody know the fool to PM the seller ..... c’mon, i mean, let’s help a brother out. Has the member been obstinate to not listen to reaso?? We all don’t need to be experts but we should listen, at least, to criticism....But never post a watch you don’t know esp if selling

Joe_A likes this.
  11. GordonL Oct 15, 2018

Quite apart from anything else, gold can't rust.

Gordon Heavyfoot and mydeafcat like this.
  12. Joe_A Oct 15, 2018

One of the reasons I have joined the community here is to learn and to share.

It seems to me that, if one cannot discuss the content and quality of FS listings, then the quality of the listings will undoubtedly deteriorate.

zrleopold, MCC, JimJupiter and 6 others like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Oct 15, 2018

The PMs I've received from the seller - and his (now deleted) posts in the sales thread - does not lead me to believe that he is willing to accept that the watch is anything but genuine.

sdre likes this.
  14. JohnSteed Oct 15, 2018

Ahhhh....at some point, guy will check you out, realise you only try to help....

Well, at least he’s not selling a Speedy, 30CH etc ::facepalm2::

15. GordonL Oct 15, 2018

Just like others have said, the possibility of this kind of educational debate is one of the things that makes the great OF so attractive to me.

albertob, zrleopold, sdre and 5 others like this.
  16. S.H. Oct 15, 2018

... and to me too.

17. Nathan1967 Oct 15, 2018

Well, this thread really is a great education. Troels has been brave enough to give his view and supply some real hard varied evidence to support it too. A bit foolhardy for the Seller not to at least respond to PM positively or alter his description of the FS Ad in my opinion.
    I hope this Watch doesn’t sell without a buyer first reading this thread in order to make a balanced and informed decision.

sdre likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Oct 15, 2018

As much as I like a good thread drift as anyone else, this wasn't really meant as a comment on how the Sales subforum is being run and I would really like to hear if anyone has any details about these "Seamaster" 135.011s? The reference is extremely common and we know how Omega like producing a number of varieties and here it is no exception.

The technical dialed ones with red crosshairs are probably the most sought after:

[​IMG]
    From here.

Spacefruit and M.D. like this.
  19. M.D. Oct 15, 2018

Not all of us are experts, seems reasonable to debate a watch as long as it's done in a respectful manner. If the seller truly believes in the watch you would hope they'd post quality photos to truly show the condition and address any concerns. I get that not everyone will do that, though, and that's their prerogative. But then dont be disappointed if it doesn't sell either.

As they say, buy the seller.

20. Shabbaz Oct 15, 2018

Screenshot_20181015-182405_Chrome.jpg
    Nathan1967 likes this.