Forums Latest Members
  1. ATWG Jul 5, 2016

Hi folks - long time lurker first time poster. I recently had the fortune of landing this brand new, never worn FM 911 from a local collector who was the first owner. It's a 31,xxx,xxx serial dating it to circa 1970. In all my years being around watches, I have never seen a specimen like this before and am soliciting the forum's help in valuing the watch. I know the yellow cadmium hands are rarer than the orange as they were special order. The original owner tells me that the watch came with the factory coated protective purple film to protect he case.

Appreciate the help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ahartfie and Mad Dog like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jul 5, 2016

Just acquired and already moving on? ;)

Best bet for sold values will be eBay history... Plus a little for NOS. Minus a little if it's not been serviced in 46 years.

3. ATWG Jul 5, 2016

Not interested in selling what so ever, just curious. The watch has never been worn, no need for service.

4. tyrantlizardrex Jul 5, 2016

40 years and those seals are unlikely to still be keeping a great deal if they've never been changed.

Equally if it's not been serviced in 40 years it's probably not all that well lubricated.

But hey, your watch, your choice. ;)

As for values... eBay sold listings are your friend.

rcs914 likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 5, 2016

I think its a tough one to value - while it is in wonderful NOS condition, it is not actually desirable.

The dial is dead, and the watch is a big clunky thing. If you were going to buy a flightmaster, then I think this particular execution would come low down on the list of considerations.

I am not trying to be rude here, but I am trying to answer the question.

The thing that makes this watch attractive is the amazing condition. All that purple goo - wonderful.

Now who would buy it? The purple goo elimiates those of us who like to at least think they will wear our watches. The last purple goo watch I owned I sold because if I wore it....then no more goo.

So here we have a watch that will appeal to a very narrow market.

Here is an identical one on ebay, unsold at $3900 - with full B&P's
    ("Rare" yellow hands too!)
    flightmaster.jpg

So my Guesstimate would be $5000 between knowledgable collectors. (I would not be one of them)
    If in Christie's auction two competing bidders might send it to $7000+premium. Or not.

adrienbelanger likes this.
  6. ATWG Jul 5, 2016

Thank you for your response.

7. Donn Chambers Jul 5, 2016

I agree. After 46 years (even stored away), the movement needs to be cleaned and oiled, and the gaskets replaced. You'd have to do the same with a 46-year old car that had sat in a garage all the time. All the rubber would have rotted, oil, transmission fluids congealed, etc. Even if you don't intend to wear it. You should service it.

The purple film bothers me. Can you remove it, or has it decayed over the 46 years so that it can't be without leaving bots and pieces? IMO, it adds nothing to the value. If it can't be easily removed, it subtracts from the value, IMO.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2016

As others have noted, it certainly needs to be serviced if you plan to wear it. I just finished servicing this NOS Seamaster Chronograph from 1972:

[​IMG]

As you can see, although it looked to be in perfect condition, all the gaskets have turned to black tar:

[​IMG]

Service went well with no worn parts, but all the jewels were completely dry - it's good that the owner didn't wear it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you plan to keep it in a drawer, then by all means don't service it. But if you plan to wear it, you will cause damage if you don't get it serviced.

Cheers, Al

9. ATWG Jul 6, 2016

Great looking watch, Al. I'm not planning on wearing it as it will go into my collection along with it's 2 other siblings which are worn on a regular basis.

[​IMG]

10. ATWG Jul 6, 2016

The gaskets on mine did not look like they had turned into tar, everything looked like it was in good shape. My watchmaker advised against getting it serviced.
    [​IMG]

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2016

Again, if you are not wearing it, then don't bother. If it's going to be worn and used, it definitely needs to be serviced.

12. cristos71 Jul 6, 2016

Nice Flightmaster!

But one comment, looking at all the wear on those case clamp screws are you sure it is a NOS watch and not just a NOS case?

13. ATWG Jul 6, 2016

Yes, I was there when he opened it up, you're correct only those 2 screws which hold the movement to the bracket were replaced. He did it in front of me. Thanks for noticing! We examined it with the loop, the movement had no wear, everything looked brand new as one would expect. Caseback had no signs of wear either.

[​IMG]

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 6, 2016

Do you know why they had to be replaced?

15. Kwijibo Jul 6, 2016

are you joking?

16. ATWG Jul 6, 2016

Not sure as to why he used these screws....

17. Kwijibo Jul 6, 2016

A movement that never runned needs service! Unless you want to kill it quickly.

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 6, 2016

Only if the OP wants to wear it.
    As he has two other, charming examples I completely understand the thinking.

19. Kwijibo Jul 6, 2016

hm, for keeping it in a drawer? give it to me I'll wear it.

20. ATWG Jul 6, 2016

I honestly won't be wearing it, thus service is not necessary. Part of the charm of finding a 'safe queen' I guess.