Forums Latest Members

Thoughts On New Tropical Le Jour w/ Valjoux 72

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jan 4, 2019

Collections evolve, as do collectors, and one of the promises I made myself last year was to stop buying "budget" brands that I knew would get very little wrist time relative to the Speedies, Carreras, and Subs of the world. But I've always had an eye for this particular model from Le Jour, and specifically the rarely seen iteration with three registers and a Valjoux 72 under the hood. This one popped up in a classified ad on Christmas and I ended up breaking my rule due to the insane condition - if you do a Google search for this model, you're unlikely to find anything this good - and upon first inspection, I'm learning to embrace the gray area of my "new" collecting mantra. If I was to find another watch with the following aspects, I can guarantee it wouldn't be less than $5K:
    - Tropical glossy dial
    - Valjoux 72
    - Red accent in sub-dial / lollipop chrono hand
    - 38.5mm case

So - what do you guys think?
    1-1-19-4.jpg 1-1-19-2.jpg 1-1-19-3.jpg 1-1-19-1.jpg

nttisch23, 89-0, KingCrouchy and 20 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 4, 2019

It’s incredibe!

89-0 and bazamu like this.
  3. Jantar Jan 4, 2019

I’ve also always liked this model. I’ve never run into one reasonably priced or at least where I thought the condition justified it.

How much is the seller asking for this one?

4. Flatfoot Jan 4, 2019

This one is tasty-Very appealing to my eye.

“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” - Sir Douglas Bader

I think you've hit a home run.

murph and bazamu like this.
  5. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jan 4, 2019

I should clarify - I already purchased it. I think prices are pretty reasonable for some of the cam-actuated models, but these ones are rarely seen and the patina is not typically this good. Had to do it (on Christmas, no less - my family thought I was crazy)!

Cheers! I agree. About to ship it out for servicing and swap out the crystal - hopefully ti shines on the other end.

Flatfoot and sdre like this.
  6. ndgal Jan 4, 2019

It is a beautiful piece. Congrats!

7. bags1971 Jan 4, 2019

very nice love the red lollypop hand

8. dantheman3u4i Jan 4, 2019

Incredible...congrats on the pick up!

9. sdre Jan 5, 2019

I think it's cool to try the lesser brands and models; did it in 2018, bought brands like Yema, Mondaine, Unimatic, Enicar and Certina.... Maybe I wanted to find myself falling in love with lesser known brands, to love the design, lugs case and all..

But I found myself feeling that these watches are more of a fun/project watch instead of a mainstay in rotation like how an Omega or Rolex would be.

Always respected and looked up to the way you collected, perhaps I will continue to be adventurous in trying out brands and styles nonetheless.

BenBagbag likes this.
  10. Just Livin Jan 5, 2019

Rules are meant to be broken.
    Agree to find another with the same quality as to movement and dial and finish would not be cheap.
    Have a fondness for the lesser brands, all part of the fun and for sure this one encapsulates it for me.
    That dial :)

sdre likes this.
  11. Tempus Jan 5, 2019

I think it is a great choice and there are many more minor brands out there that can offer some excitement but without the relatively high dollars.

Congrats.

bloomy likes this.
  12. 104RS Jan 5, 2019

Great looking piece, the brownish dial matches great with the yellow lume en red accents.

13. jhross98 Jan 5, 2019

sweet watch and i wouldn't overthink the purchase. watch collecting isn't about the dollars . . .

i have this debate myself all the time. . but the reality is i get just as much pleasure wearing my enicar sherpagraph or technos skydiver as i do a UG or Rolex that is 3-15x the price. i have a NOS gilt mulco from the 40s i bought for a few k. . .it you love wearing it who cares whether it "stacks up" to more expensive watches. that's part of the fun!

bloomy, Flatfoot and McKinley like this.
  14. Dan S Jan 5, 2019

Nice pick-up! You need to be opportunistic in situations like this.

15. Edward53 Jan 6, 2019

Budget? You call that a budget model?? You've got too much money!!

That's a nice watch. Can't go wrong with a V72.

16. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jan 6, 2019

Ha, well to be quite honest, Le Jour was a more economical brand relative to the Swiss stalwarts. And again, considering the characteristics of this watch, it's a fraction of the cost of (very) similar offerings. If that doesn't count as "budget," then I don't know what does!

Edward53 likes this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 6, 2019

FIFY

Edited Jan 7, 2019
    Dr.Sascha and Edward53 like this.
  18. chronoboy64 Jan 7, 2019

Great catch, these are really looking great and the V72 speeks for itself.
    Huge congrats and wear in good health :thumbsup:

19. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jan 15, 2019

beautiful vintage watch...

but there's no way i'm paying the cash premium for it when there's nothing discernibly different than the landeron version

20. nttisch23 Feb 9, 2019

This piece is insane!! I will be on the lookout for one of these now :thumbsup: