Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on my new arrival - Seamaster Ref 168.022 Turler dial

1. Braindrain Aug 28, 2016

I recently picked up a new acquisition a few months ago - the exquisite Seamaster Ref 168.022 with a Turler sparkle dial. It comes with the Cal 564 movement and an Extract from the Archives confirming all the info as well as the Turler dial specification.

Originally, I was looking for a "dressier" watch but one that was both interesting and gave me street cred as a watchnerd. After a long-ish hunt, I decided on the Seiko SARB 065, otherwise known as the "Cocktail time". Ticked off quite a few boxes - modern size, interesting dial, watchnerd street cred, *some* exclusivity, etc.

seiko2.JPG

However, after some time, I felt I needed something "different". Didn't know what that meant, but after a while, it just didn't have the watch mojo for me.

I was walking to grab my lunch just like any other day when I walked past my local watchmaker (aka enabler). He had a consignment piece in the window that immediately grabbed my attention. A vintage Seamaster with a very interesting dial named "Turler" was sitting in his window. I immediately went in to inquire about it.

After doing so, I immediately did some homework. Not knowing the origins of "Turler", I just assumed it was a co-brand just like Tiffany dialed Rolexes. A quick search proved my hunch correct. Not only that, I learned about the history of Turler and that Omega doesn't co-brand with any other retailer (per my internet searches, anyways).

Further searching showed that chonometer grade Seamasters were rare enough after the mid-50s (as most were going into Constellations). I'm still unclear how rare the sparkle dial was as some people said it was rare while others suggested it was a "normal" issue. One thing I'm quite certain is that having the Turler dial is not a usual occurrence.

Having done my homework, I went back to my watchmaker and offered a counterprice. With some back-and-forth, I found myself as the new owner of this very interesting watch.

Cosmetically, the watch is in extremely good shape. Per my watchmaker, he believed the case had never been polished (at most, very slight touch-ups), all original angles and lugs are sharp, the dial is super clean (and confirmed never re-dialed), it has the original crystal, etc, etc.

omega2.JPG

I'm extremely happy. It came with 2 straps - one "modern" vintage from Omega and one "period correct" strap and buckle. I've since put it on a nice dark green croc - but we can debate strap choice another time!

One thing that's still in the back of my mind was how to value this piece. In all my searching, I could not find another with the same specs.

The closest piece I could find was an Ebay sale but the dial wasn't a sparkle dial and the condition of my piece was a little bit better. Sold for 619GBP on Oct 26, 2015
    ebay.ie/itm/LARGE-VINTAGE-OMEGA-SEAMASTER-TURLER-CONSTELLATION-CHRONOMETER-CAL-564-168-022-/291594202612

Another recent sale for a Ref 168.022 but without a sparkle/Turler dial sold for just under $2k USD. This was a "best offer accepted" sale and I can't find what it actually sold for. (July 28, 2016)
    ebay.com/itm/extremely-rare-Omega-chronometer-grade-Seamaster-168-022-C-564-/252172305552?hash=item3ab6a40490:g:cTsAAOSwI-BWPvas

Lastly, here's another Ref 168.022 with a sparkle dial (but no Turler dial) which has a dial in excellent condition but the case is a little more banged up than mine. Seems to have sold to a "best offer" from a $1k USD ask. (June 24, 2016)
    ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SS-SEAMASTER-SILVER-STARS-CHRONOMETER-AUTOMATIC-DATE-WATCH-36MM-/112018232129?hash=item1a14ce9341%3Ag%3A1IwAAOSwLnBXVDFZ&nma=true&si=kLF6gDS1%252BFXkmi2TAnRsMP3YwXI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So, I'd be quite interested in asking the collective wisdom of this forum about what an estimated guess on the value would be? Yes, I know it's after the fact and I'm not putting this up for sale anytime soon, but would like to see what others think.

Thanks
    Kendall

PS - I've lurked on OF for years and recently signed up as a member. I thought it's about time to make my first post so thought this would be it. This isn't really a review so I'm posting it here - as a best guess.