Forums Latest Members
  1. Adaugaard Jul 27, 2013

1. Has it been Redialed?
    2. Is this the original band?

Thanks again to all who have been more than helpful as i indulge my new obsession. This btw will potentially be my first vintage seamaster! This is one of the 2-3 keepers i have out of the 12 i recently purchased. My watchmaker says it hasnt been redialed but you guys specialize in this. I didnt think the band was original until I saw a very similar De Ville on e-bay with the same band advertised as original. It has a 14k bezel with ss case. Sorry i dont have a picture of the movement but i have all the info from my last visit to my watchmaker. Obviously u can see the engraving, my watchmaker says it was hand engraved and actually i like that it has it. I think it gives it character and shows that somebody really valued it 40-50 yrs ago. I know we dont talk value too much on here but if you would, how would you collectors appraise this watch? Thank you. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Adaugaard Jul 27, 2013

Here is the rest of the info i have on the watch:

serial # 19074723
    ref # 14770-1 cal 562
    14kt gf omega bracelet (says Made in USA?? Is this a red flag? I noticed not all of the omega bracelets say this)
    image.jpg
    Very faint but u can see what im referring to. Sorry about the photo quality and the picture taken on top of my notes.

thanks again

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 27, 2013

It's a very nice and original watch. These bracelets were normally purchased as options from Omega dealers. If this watch was sold in the US, then the dealer would have had licensed "Made in USA" bracelets like this one.

The value on these watches are all over the place, based on condition, who's selling, who's buying and whether it's a full moon tonight. Go look at the completed items section of eBay and you'll see what I mean.

gatorcpa

Adaugaard likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2013

I give it two snaps up in a circle! :p

Seriously, it looks like an original dial and the bracelet checks out for that watch and period. The serial number is from 1962, which jives with the introduction of the Seamaster DeVille automatics in the US in 1963 (often there can be a year or two before a movement is cased). Correct crown also, and the caliber matches the case reference - although these usually had 563's inside. Get a new crystal and retainer though.

Adaugaard likes this.
  5. Adaugaard Jul 27, 2013

Thank you gentlemen for your confirmation and advice. Your right gatorcpa, the values are all over the place from around $400-$1200. Which would lead me to assume that in this condition, compared to others ive seen, a realistic evaluation is between $600-$800. Fair? But then again what is value? Im just trying to learn how to make quick evaluations so I notice a deal when i see one. You guys are an invaluable resource but sadly wifi isnt always readily available.;)

6. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2013

I've never seen a gold capped SMDV sell for $1200. Somebody might ask that amount but there won't be any takers. That watch would fetch between $400 and $525 if sold on eBay in an open auction.

124watchfan likes this.
  7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 28, 2013

Looks like a redial

8. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2013

I think that's just the quality of the photos.

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 28, 2013

Nope. it's a redial

10. 124watchfan Jul 28, 2013

With the bracelet I think you're in the $600 range as is. The engraving will keep you out of top dollar on this one. Normally I'd say with a service and plenty if high quality pics you'd maybe get a grand for it But I think you'd have a hard time getting there with the engraving. There are simply too many out there without engraving.

11. Adaugaard Jul 28, 2013

Thanks...speaking of the engraving. Any guesses as to what the numbers could represent. It doesn't really line up to be a date especially with the lone decimal. I dedicated a thread to it perhaps making me look like an idiot, but my wife who is a history buff, did a search on the set of numbers and ton of info regarding the watch company Girard-Perragaux comes up. I'm sure there is zero correlation. But what did they mean? This kind of stuff fascinates me, and I wont be able to move on till some one kicks in the ass and says, "It only means your watch is less valuable, now move on and stop obsessing?".

12. Adaugaard Jul 28, 2013

Here is a better photo. I've been taking most of my photos with my Ipad simply out of convenience. Finally pulled out the camera. Hope the higher quality either confirms or denies your opinion. What makes you think its a redial? I respect all of your opinions as experienced collectors and experts. I'm young enough still to learn alot of this and perhaps develop concrete opinions of my own in future. DSC03437.JPG

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 28, 2013

14. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2013

If that's a redial it's friggin awesome. I've never seen one get the tiny slight points on the ends of the lines in the lettering of DE VILLE.

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 28, 2013

You know what, I have seen lots of guys try to sell their stuff with "sorry for the poor quality pics" that's why whenever I see one like that, I would say "redial" and you have to prove it's not.

16. Hijak Jul 28, 2013

From that last picture that's not a redial:thumbsup: I have a de Ville very simmilar and yours looks just fine::psy:: ...

17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 28, 2013

Those are called "serifs", this will probably be the only time I ever get to teach you something!!!

18. mementomori1983 Jul 28, 2013

I'd value the head at $300.00 max due to the engraving. The 1037 bracelet and #70 end-link combination is used by a number of Constellation and Seamaster models and yours is of decent condition - I could see it as being worth $100-$125.00 to the right buyer.

IMO, this is a very nice starter Omega and I would keep it as a daily wearer. One of my first watches is a stainless steel Seamaster De Ville, which I later paired up with a stainless steel 1037 bracelet. It is still one of my go-to watches when I want something that is slim, understated, and blends easily with an attire.