Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on Glashutte Original? Panoreserve? (Older gen)

1. hrobi Sep 22, 2016

Hey all,

Just have recently discovered the Glashutte Original Panoreserve and I'm absolutely in love. A mate of mine from work has an ALS Saxonia 37mm yellow gold, and it's just stunning. It's sparked an interest in me for the glashutte decorated movement makers, which has lead me to Glashutte Original and the likes of NOMOS and others, brands I've always been aware of but have never looked at in depth.

I do like the new model, I particularly am a fan of the older gen model (slightly smaller 39mm rather than 40mm, bigger bezel/smaller dial, more reflections on the dial - pictured) - and the back is stunning! prices seem to be around $6-6.5k USD, in excellent condition on the second hand market.

Does anyone have any experience with this watch? I'd love to see photos! I think it's become a medium-term grail piece :

4812065_xxl.jpg 4812065f_xxl.jpg

ELV web, Wivac, George.A and 3 others like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2016

I think Al Archer has one. @Archer

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2016

Just have this, PML, love though
    G11b.jpg G4.jpg

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2016

They're a lot of watch considering their price point and finishing quality

LouS likes this.
  5. hrobi Sep 22, 2016

beautiful watch, thanks for the photos!! I think the contrast of the metallic glossy discs on the dial works extremely well :)

6. hrobi Sep 22, 2016

as well, the dial-to-bezel ratio works much better than the newer model IMO, the all dial look on a 40mm watch, although clean, wears quite large....

Glashutte-Original-Panoreserve-Steel-17.jpg

Andsan, dxholdren and George.A like this.
  7. hrobi Sep 22, 2016

agreed!

8. ulackfocus Sep 22, 2016

What do I think? I think you should buy it. I also think I was STOOPID for passing one up years ago.

9. calalum Sep 22, 2016

I had a PML for a while (and another complicated GO before that) and liked them both. A lot of watch, in house engineering, clean and interesting dial and movement, runs well, etc. I would recommend.

hrobi likes this.
  10. EatMan Sep 23, 2016

So interesting that you posted on my VC Overseas vs BLNR thread. PML white 40mm was another watch I was seriously considering but thought I would go sporty instead of dressy. But after looking at this thread I am torn!! Totally dig the asymmetric face.

hrobi likes this.
  11. hrobi Sep 23, 2016

Haha oh yeah man! Second hand the PML is probably even a bit cheaper than your other options, and the dial and movement are stunning! I love the chronograph that they've made (photos below)

I personally very much prefer the older generation models too, the 39.5 and thicker bezel I think works a lot better with the proportions. The metallic glossy disc surface contrast I also love.

I think most would agree, glashutte original is probably better value for money than Rolex or VC for sure. At the very least they definitely have infinitely more hand finished parts on their watch than Rolex, and probably a lot more than VC too.

If I were you I'd try to track down the older PML model to try on! Unlike the new gen model, i think it has:

- wrist presence but not too much
    - a dress watch with a sporty touch with the case
    - versatile, would look great with both a suit and tee & jeans
    - small production unique respected brand, you're probably not going to see many others (Rolex GMTs are everywhere)

It's not on a bracelet tho unlike your other options, so it's definitely a different look and feel (less sporty)!

Whichever way you go, post photos of your choice! :)

image.jpeg image.png image.png

cicindela likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 23, 2016

Yes I have one...if Photobucket was working I'd post some pictures, but for now a video of the date change will have to do...

Bottom line is that it's a great watch. I'm not a flipper anyway, but this is a watch I intend to keep for good. I say GO for it.

Cheers, Al

kkt, Longbow, George.A and 3 others like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 23, 2016

And here we GO - I did take it home for a visit once...

[​IMG]

The watch is well proportioned...

[​IMG]

Of course the movement is very well done...

[​IMG]

And they paid as much attention to the dial as they did the movement - the details are as good as it gets...

[​IMG]

Once again, I would not hesitate to make this purchase again. If the prices are what you are quoting on the second hand market, it is a true bargain.

Cheers, Al

Eve, david5807, George.A and 3 others like this.
  14. micampe Sep 23, 2016

The big date here is so much better done than Lange.

George.A, hrobi and Archer like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 23, 2016

I like the Lange 1, but can't get past their big date execution...

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 24, 2016

I always thought of this type of watch as "somebody took a couple of complications and threw it randomly at a dial".

... A window here, a windshield wiper there, a ladies-watch dial to the left... Lots of classic elements lots of irregular negative space but the end result is lacking (to me).

But I'm sure it is a technically very nicely made and executed watch and if you like the design then go for it...

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2016

I somehow feel better knowing that you don't like it. Thanks for making my day! :)

Hijak, Stewart H, ulackfocus and 4 others like this.
  18. cottonlume Sep 26, 2016

I think you can't go wrong here!

19. ncstate1201 Nov 20, 2016

I really love this brand and this is one of the ones I can't figure out. It seems to be so much watch for the money, also can't figure out why they don't hold their value a little better....but I guess we may find out a little bit more about their recent more complicated watches in some years

20. hrobi Nov 20, 2016

Funny that you say this, just a few days ago I was in a fairly well known and respected (albeit very small) second hand watch dealer in my city (Melbourne), and asked if he had any Glashutte Original. The owner then went on a big rant to me about how watch brands such as GO and NOMOS are 'very poor quality' in terms of their movements and overall construction, and that I should just "stick to Rolex, or if I want GO just get a Lange". I think it's total non-sense. I appreciate that Lange is arguably better quality/finished than GO, but likewise it is also 3-10x the price...

I think a lot of people pretty much think in this way - drinking the mainstream brand kool-aid. Sure, GO and NOMOS aren't as robust as Rolex movements, but likewise some Rolex movements aren't as robust as the movements in Seiko sub $1k divers... in the end, brands like GO, NOMOS, Grand Seiko, etc. have far far more hand-finishing in their movements than Rolex, yet are cheaper/the same price. At a base-line, the production costs of these 3 brands I just mentioned would be far higher than Rolex, so what are you really paying for? the brand. Nothing on Rolex, I love their watches and own one that I'll probably keep for the rest of my life - but I think people get confused on actual construction value vs brand marketing.

Just my 2c! I think NOMOS movements for the price in particular are beautifully finished, and have reported to as well as can be expected for a thin dress watch. to say 'don't touch them, stick with rolex' I think is just ignorant.

Archer and cicindela like this.