Forums Latest Members
  1. MKDauff Mar 23, 2017

Additional pics...finally got in touch with him. What should I be looking for on prices would you say?

image(1).jpg image(2).jpg image.jpg
    OMGRLX likes this.
  2. MKDauff Mar 23, 2017

Just saw that. Didn't read through quick enough you can delete the other one. Thanks for doing the work for me!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

Ok no worries mate

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

Caseback looks nice and unpolished, see how the medallion with the observatory looks sort of blackened and dull, that's actually a good thing as it means someone hasn't busily gone over it with a cape cod cloth trying to make it shiny and new.

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. MKDauff Mar 23, 2017

Agreed. Although the case itself also has that tarnished look to it. I'll hark back to my KS heritage here...shit'll buff out, right?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

It can and will, but I'd let a watchmaker take care of the tarnish in a gentle non-abrasive way when its being serviced rather than polish it off.

OMGRLX and MKDauff like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Mar 23, 2017

Buy.
    The.
    Watch.

Now.

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Mar 23, 2017

If the colour of the crown is due to tarnish, it's a first for me. That watch really hasn't seen much use over the last 55 years!

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. MKDauff Mar 23, 2017

Confident at $1600? Seems high but I'm not a pro at valuation by any means...

10. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 23, 2017

Forget this thread, I wanna see 'The Adventures of @ConElPueblo on Craigslist Copenhagen Casual Encounters'. ::popcorn::

Bumper, MKDauff and dsio like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

I do have one of my SMPPs that has a really heavily tarnished crown although the case is nowhere near as heavy, not sure why or what causes that unless the crowns are like 10kt GF or something.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 23, 2017

Is that what the seller is asking? Methinks the chap knows what he's got... (not good for you, the buyer)...Question : How bad do you want it?

13. ConElPueblo Mar 23, 2017

It's in the higher end of the spectrum - but this one is pretty special.
    And that is really part of the "problem". I believe that the price is right, but if this is going to be your only vintage watch... Then what? Wear it and get knocks and scratches on it? Get it serviced?

This, to me, is more of an collector's piece and much like some of the NOS pieces seen here from time to time, it would be detrimal to the value to get it more worn.

Listen to all that "investment talk" coming from me :rolleyes:

The crown is probably produced by someone else than the cases, so it would make sense. The alloy is most likely different, so aging differently.

OMGRLX likes this.
  14. MKDauff Mar 23, 2017

Understood. This would be my first vintage piece, and I prefer wearing my purchases.

15. MKDauff Mar 23, 2017

And yes, Mr. Selmer's asking price is $1600. How bad do I want it...that's a tough one! If it was a deal I'd jump on it. If it's not, then I might shy away. Would hate to see it go but perhaps better off with a collector?

16. adi4 Mar 23, 2017

Maybe just put a hard limit on what you would feel comfortable wearing on your wrist, and make your offer? Worth a shot and I personally wouldn't buy a watch I would hesitate to wear due to collectibility.

OMGRLX likes this.
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 23, 2017

Like he said

OMGRLX likes this.
  18. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 23, 2017

I would have to go with our intrepid Danish friend on this one (buy.it.now).
    (Btw, @ConElPueblo is one of the forum watch experts. He knows his stuff.)
    Try and get the seller down a few, if you can, at least for the sake of trying, but this is one sweet old connie! :thumbsup:

MKDauff likes this.
  19. Hijak Mar 23, 2017

If I didn't have this same watch @ $1600 I'd go for that!:thumbsup:
    image.jpeg

RJwatches, GregH, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  20. MKDauff Mar 23, 2017

If you don't mind me asking, what makes this more special compared to another? The condition? Box/paperwork/etc...or otherwise?