Forums Latest Members
  1. unfloopy Jun 30, 2018

Hello from Boston! I've been lurking for several weeks now, reading a ton of threads and taking in as much as I can of the collective knowledge on these forums - now I'm hoping to get your thoughts on a Constellation I just purchased.

IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1182.JPG IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG

It's a ref 14381 61SC with cal 551. Based on what I've learned so far, I think that that caliber is correct for the reference. To me the case looks mostly unpolished, it does not appear to be a redial, and the crown seems to be correct. The crystal is Omega signed but quite scratched. There is some rust on half of the second hand. In terms of the case back, it looks like a strap was left there too long and has caused some pitting/uneven texture. I think the movement looks clean, but to be honest I'm not 100% certain what exactly to look for.

My questions are:
    - Redial? I'm pretty confident in my ability to tell a shitty redial but not necessarily a good one. :p
    - Scratches on crystal? I hear good things about Polywatch and might give that a try.
    - Case back? Would that be a dealbreaker for this watch?
    - Lastly, keep or return? I got it for about $700 and am within the return period.

Thanks all! Let me know if I can provide any additional information. :)

Edited Jul 1, 2018
    noelekal, felsby, Dr No and 6 others like this.
  2. Noddyman Jun 30, 2018

I would say you got yourself a bargain.
    Just needs the Polywatch from what I can see...... and probably a service.

unfloopy likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jun 30, 2018

$700 seems about right for a 14.381 like this. It could have been a bit more expensive without you burning your fingers, as case/dial condition (bar the nylon rash on the back) is very good and originality looks spot on - it even has the correct low dome crystals that Omega (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't offer any more...

@Peemacgee and I was discussing a similar specimen earlier today and I am sure he'll agree that it's a good find :thumbsup:

felsby and unfloopy like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Jun 30, 2018

PS: This is probably my favourite Constellation reference and you've got the most sought after combination with that fantastic pie pan dial with inlaid onyx in the markers :)

BenBagbag, Deafboy and unfloopy like this.
  5. unfloopy Jun 30, 2018

I appreciate the responses! I'll get myself some Polywatch and see where I can bring it in for a service. From a brief search it seems like European Watch Co might be a good option in Boston.

I also quite like the pie pan & onyx combination so I was really, really hoping the consensus would be that it was a decent buy. :) Of course, now I'll be even more on the lookout for good deals... I've definitely been bitten by the vintage bug!

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 30, 2018

Welcome @unfloopy
    I think that’s an absolute steal @$700 :thumbsup:
    Congratulations
    With a polished or new crystal the watch will look great.
    The watchmaker can do either for you.
    For some reason, these particular references often have a rusty second hand.
    It will clean up or you can get a replacement.
    You do have some pretty serious rotor rub though - so have the watch serviced before you wear it.

ICONO and unfloopy like this.
  7. unfloopy Jun 30, 2018

Thanks for the response! I will definitely get it serviced. Just to make sure I know what I'm looking at, when you're checking for rotor rub are you looking to see if there are circles on the inside of the case back?

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 30, 2018

Yes, that’s right
    And the corresponding marks on the high points of the rotor.
    It’s not unusual for Connies to have this and is generally an easy fix for a watchmaker when doing a service.

unfloopy likes this.
  9. unfloopy Jun 30, 2018

Good to know, appreciate the explanation!

10. Edward53 Jun 30, 2018

These often come with the cog wheel crown, well done on getting the decagonal version which I think sets off the case very nicely. Crosshairs too! For just a few weeks' study, that is a great result. I guarantee that once it's been serviced, put on a nice strap or bracelet and you've had time to get to know it, you will love that watch.

unfloopy likes this.
  11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jun 30, 2018

Hello from Southie!
    Nice catch.

unfloopy likes this.
  12. unfloopy Jun 30, 2018

I like it quite a bit already so I'm sure you're right!

As all of the information available on OF was incredibly helpful for a newbie like me, I really have to thank everybody here for the purchase. :)

Hi and thanks!

13. chronoboy64 Jun 30, 2018

What a bargain, welcome and huge congrats, wear in good health :thumbsup:

unfloopy likes this.
  14. TexOmega Jun 30, 2018

A quick learner, I would say.

Enjoy your first great score.

If at all possible, keep the low dome crystal.

Constellation.JPG Small Decagon crown.JPG

And while I like the onyx, I am biased toward the large arrowhead variety.

ulackfocus, unfloopy, micampe and 3 others like this.
  15. merchandiser Jul 1, 2018

Great deal, congratulations and welcome! Mine says hi:)

D53BC27B-1463-4647-B0BF-AB43048B5450.jpeg

Edited Jul 1, 2018
    TexOmega, unfloopy and micampe like this.
  16. dstern Jul 1, 2018

Congratulations on a great find and what will be a lovely watch. Please post pictures once it is serviced, fitted with a strap and being worn with pride and pleasure.

unfloopy likes this.
  17. Draven Jul 1, 2018

I think you got a terrible deal, you should immediately send it to me and I will give you $700 :whistling::whistling:;)

Really lovely watch. Well done on the great find:thumbsup:

ulackfocus and unfloopy like this.
  18. Sherbie Jul 1, 2018

Btw - Pretty sure this would have been put together sometime in 1962. I have a 18 gold version with an extract - my serial is a few hundred earlier than yours ( 18.22 mln) and was made up Jan 1962.

Yours is a nice example - enjoy

unfloopy likes this.
  19. unfloopy Jul 1, 2018

Thank you!

Yes, I'll certainly try to keep it. Lovely watch! I'd love to add one with arrowheads to my collection one day. :thumbsup:

Beautiful! Thanks for the welcome!

Will do!

Ha, this doesn't sound suspicious at all... :p

Thanks!

Wow, that's great information - thanks! Approximately 30 years older than me then. :D

ulackfocus likes this.
  20. Waltesefalcon Jul 1, 2018

That's a looker I really like the onyx markers. I think you did real good at $700.